Last weekend I bought a 2007 919. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Last weekend I bought a 2007 919.

This is a great site! I have found a lot of good information and look forward to reading more. I have never participated in a forum like this.

The 919 is the replacement for my tired, old, 1982 Sabre (71,000 miles). I will miss it but after the ride home Saturday I wont miss it too much! I live approximately 200 miles from the dealership where I bought the bike. I planed a good route that I thought would work well for the break-in. I hope to get through the break-in period before serious snow hits northern Ohio.

It has been a long time since I maintained a drive chain. What kind of life should I expect from a properly maintained chain?

I wasn’t expecting a full set of really nice tools in the bikes tool kit. But all I got was an empty vinyl pouch. Is this normal or did my dealer just forget to put them back?

Even though the initial oil change isn’t due until the 600-mile mark. I plan on changing it myself at 300 miles then taking it to an authorized dealer at 600. Any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

EB2U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the site!

A properly maintained chain should last you at least 12 to 15k (depending on your maintenence shcedule and riding style). When changing the chain you should do so also with the front and rear sprocket.

Tools should have come in the cute lil plastic blue pouch under the seat. I would follow up with your dealer to get a replacement set.

Changing your oil at 300 won't hurt anything but really isn't necessary, it's all up to you. I wouldn't bother taking it to the dealer for the 600mile service unless there is something appreciably wrong with the bike (doubtful as it's a Honda). The only thing you'll be doing there is spending unnecessary $$$ of work you can easily do yourself

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Welcome to the hive!

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #4 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Mc 9er

welcome to the site, an congrats on the new 9er,

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #5 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Tools should have come in the cute lil plastic blue pouch under the seat. I would follow up with your dealer to get a replacement set.
This should read: Crappy tools use to come standard with the 919. Honda got cheap and discontinued suppling them. Not sure which year it was 2005, 06, 07???

Be cautious of this site, it is both addictive and costly.

Welcome to WT.

post #6 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
This should read: Crappy tools use to come standard with the 919. Honda got cheap and discontinued suppling them. Not sure which year it was 2005, 06, 07???

Be cautious of this site, it is both addictive and costly.

Welcome to WT.
True in all forms! If you need a list of tools to pack up and or pictures I'm sure one of us (namely MrMike) can dig it up for you.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Even though the initial oil change isn’t due until the 600-mile mark. I plan on changing it myself at 300 miles then taking it to an authorized dealer at 600. Any thoughts?
i did mine @ 300 on my VTX1300. i read from others experience that 600 miles really is too long for that bike. I agree, man was that oil dirty! Tiny metal flakes all over. Wish i had done it at 100 miles. It did turn out fine.

The 919 on the otherhand was pretty clean @ 300 miles.... so i doubt it maters much, but i would still do it at 300 if i had it to do again. The honda filter is expensive, and a bit inconvienient to get as well. You can use a car filter for ~ 5$

you'll want to rig up a pan to kep the oil off the headers when removing the oil filter.

enjoy!

post #8 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I got 22,000 miles on my ZX10R chain. Treat her well and she will treat you well. Welcome to "The Firm"

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I got 22,000 miles on my ZX10R chain. Treat her well and she will treat you well. Welcome to "The Firm"
Bigdaa's chain, not too shabby!!!

post #10 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Aquilifer

they discontinued the tools because they remembered it's a honda.
they were found to be superfluous.

"man was that oil dirty! Tiny metal flakes all over" ??
really? confirmed? did you drag a magnet through it? run it through a coffee filter? color me skeptical, as usual, but if you see metal in your oil, that's typically WAAY beyond normal for any oil change, first or tenth. yeah, i'll say it: "especially for a Honda".

i've run a 520 chain with a hard anodized aluminum rear sprocket for two full seasons of drag racing. hundreds of runs. i'm replacing it this winter because i want to try a new tri-metal rear sprocket in slightly different gearing, but there's nothing wrong with the chain. i flopped the rear sprocket after one season, and it could really go longer with no trouble too. drag racing is hard on chains, but granted, the total miles are low.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
color me skeptical, as usual, but if you see metal in your oil, that's typically WAAY beyond normal for any oil change, first or tenth. yeah, i'll say it: "especially for a Honda".
Fair enough. Those shiny specs glimering in the sun might not have been metal. Maybe Tinkerbell got caught in the intake? ;-) but others have said the same about the VTX, so either it is a common problem or Tinkerbell is having a very bad year.

Again, that was on the VTX, not the 919. 919 was pretty clean @300 miles.

post #12 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Tirone

as far as break in of your engine here are some good articles, and i know from personal experience long before i ever read these that this method works , but read and make up your own mind.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

when i brought my first ever new bike back in the 70's i asked my uncle the best way to break it in and his answer surprized me some what ...he said "ride it like ya stole it" ...he's been a mechanic for more that 50 yrs now but now retired , but he used to build race engines for sprint boats as his speciality but has built engines for just about everything with an engine.
Along with his "ride it like you stole it" quote the other thing he used to tell me is " Its easyer to change the oil than it is to change the engine" Wise words from an experienced mechanic.
Everone will have there own methods that work for them and thats cool , but i have never blown an engine so something must be going right Read the articles and make up your own mind .

Go HARD or go home
post #13 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Tirone

BTW im not trying to start a flame with the above links as i know everyone will have there own take on things , I posted just for information purposes , ya'll can make up ur own minds...cheers

Go HARD or go home
post #14 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM

speaking of not starting a flame. I appologize for previous post, was just goofing off, not intended to be taken as disrespectfull.

post #15 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Congrats on the new ride.
I did my oil change at 200 miles then again at 700.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I got the empty pouch treatment as well. I told the dealership and they ordered a full kit for no cost. Wasn't sure if there might be a special wrench or something otherwise I wouldn't care. Good decision, hope you like it.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #17 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Team Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Hmm, my 2006 came with a set, they're certainly better than nothing...not a lot better, but still better .

Having said that, Honda seem to be doing you guys over in the US, so maybe this is just another example.

And welcome by the way...

Mick

post #18 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the input.

I had found the link “rearwheel” mentioned and am trying to follow it as a guide along with some common sense. Between work and the weather the break-in is going to take longer than I would like. I don’t mind the cold it’s the snow that makes it tricky. It is supposed to be in the low 50’s here this weekend. I am looking forward to it!

As far as the empty tool pouch, at least I don’t have to feel bad about tossing out the crappy ones to make room for a few key tools.

EB2U

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode