Koso RX2N Finally installed.... - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes

post #1 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Koso RX2N Finally installed....

Finally finished installing the Koso RXn on the 919.....

http://vimeo.com/15700842
CB 919 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Milites Gregarius

i dont like you, plainly because that gauge is schhhweeeeettt!!! nice job dude. whats the full cost on something like that?

post #3 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

A quick installation report.....

Received the Koso on friday.....So far, everything is working perfectly - RPM, Speedo, Indicator Lights (FI fault light, turn signals, Neutral, high-beam)....still need to install the coolant temperature sensor that came in the kit. I made the install easier by chopping off the connector wires coming out of my stocker gauges....this made me a nice little plug n' play harness for connecting the Koso to the bike's main wiring harness. The hardware, sensors, and wire that come in the kit are all top-notch high quality stuff. One of the best parts of the kit is the Active Speed sensor & mounting bracket..... the kit supplies a small bracket that screws into one of your front brake caliper mounting bolts. Because the sensor is active it does not require a magnet to be glued to your front rotor.....the unit is smart enough to count spaces or mounting screws. I chose to use the front rotor mounting bolts.....simply tell the Koso how many mounting screws you have and it figures it out. Like the illumination on the Koso gauge, the sensor has a blue LED that lights up.... as you spin your front tire, the LED flashes....helping you to indicate that the sensor is working correctly. (at speed, the sensor just stays lit)

Couple other things to note...... I was able to wire the RPM sensing of the unit directly to the RPM wire that use to feed the OEM speedo. The Koso has another nice feature where you can program in the total mileage of your old gauge, so your total mileage will keep. The Koso does come with a fuel gauge.....so far.... it simply stays unlit until I hit reserve.... the fuel meter then starts to blink indicating low fuel. (close enough.....it works) As far as mounting the unit...... I was able to use the mounting bracket that came in the kit.....but it did take me a couple hours to figure out an exact way to mount it..... if you do it, be prepared to get creative to make it work mounting wise.

My biggest complaint about the kit..... the Installation manual is something to be desired. There is a nice manual on how to program and use the KOSO, but for install its a different story. The Install manual consists of a single page (front & back) with a Koso wiring/color code layout on the front, and on the back has a few mounting ideas for the speed sensor. Thats all you get. Be prepared to have the Honda Service Manual out with the 1 page Koso wiring diagram out to figure out what color connects to what color. There are also a couple situations where there are multiple wires running to an indicator on the OEM gauge and only one going to the Koso. So there are wires in the OEM wire harness that won't be used. Again, this is where the 919 wiring diagram is needed....... The kit does come with wire taps.... but, unless you want to hack up the factory wire harness.... I suggest that you learn how to solder.... and install the gauge the way I did --- by using the OEM speedo cat-tail and using solder for the connections.

post #4 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by veEnom View Post
i dont like you, plainly because that gauge is schhhweeeeettt!!! nice job dude. whats the full cost on something like that?
They list at $399...... I paid $320 through my local shop who ordered it via. the Parts Unlimited catalog. Figured if I installed RC-51 gauges, I have $200-250 into a USED gauge....plus whatever mounting option I did. Why not spend $100 more and do it right.

I can say.....the gauge is small.....and this has dropped ALOT of weight off the front end.

post #5 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Milites Gregarius

320 aint bad at all. nice.!
loving the rearsets as well, much be a significant improvement.

post #6 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Very nice work artic! Those gages are sweet. I like the way the tach still displays like an analog.

post #7 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 09:02 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

very nice dude. I'd be honest, IMHO $300 is a little steep for this mod but the result is sweet. Now dump some cash into 919 suspension and seat, 919 could use a little help in those departments

post #8 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Immune

Are there any wires that are not used? I also bought these gauges but just have not installed them yet. They are still in a box in the garage waiting on me to install them. Does the speed sensor have to go on the front or can it be installed on the rear?
For the low fuel do you think it would work any better if it was wired in like the f4i gauges so it might show full then flash when low (I know it probably will not show anything but full or low and nothing in between)?

post #9 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Ride Like You Stole It

very nice...I like that.

post #10 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytgr1 View Post
Are there any wires that are not used? I also bought these gauges but just have not installed them yet. They are still in a box in the garage waiting on me to install them. Does the speed sensor have to go on the front or can it be installed on the rear?
For the low fuel do you think it would work any better if it was wired in like the f4i gauges so it might show full then flash when low (I know it probably will not show anything but full or low and nothing in between)?
Wow, did you READ the post? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #11 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
very nice dude. I'd be honest, IMHO $300 is a little steep for this mod but the result is sweet. Now dump some cash into 919 suspension and seat, 919 could use a little help in those departments
Lol.....Penske will be here this week...

post #12 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytgr1 View Post
I used all the wires on the Koso, except I have yet to wire in the temp sensors.....

Speed sensor can go on either front or rear..... The front caliper bracket that comes in the kit is perfect for the front though.....

It works, but still thinking through the fuel reserve.....unfortunately, per lack of good info from the manual, this will require some experimentation.

post #13 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Immune

WhatIi meant was were there any wires you did not use that were on the plug to the oem gauges. you stated there were multiple wires (going to indicators) on oem but only one wire on the koso. Did you end up using all of the origional wires or were there wires you did not use.
Let me know if you come up with anything on the fuel indicator. Do you think there is some way to get the fuel indicator to work properly (any aftermarket sensors that could be installed in the tank or from another bike) I am not sure what is used on bikes to get the fuel gauges to work (full to low to empty like a car used to use a float switch) There should be some way to make gauge work

post #14 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

....still playing with the fuel gauge, I'll post up if I figure more out.

There are definately wires that aren't used in the Honda harness..... It took comparing the 2 wiring diagrams & a little trial and error to figure out....

post #15 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Bacon-powered

Looks pretty cool. Nice installation.

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919
post #16 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Immune

Woody if I asked a question it was because I was not sure of something. Yes I read the post and if I wanted a smart ass reply I guess I will just PM you a question (if a have other questions) as a matter of fact it pisses me off when I see a reply lilke yours because I guess you know it all and never have any questions after you read something.

post #17 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Red Rider

Get over it, both questions AS YOU ASKED THEM were answered in the post, no need to get all butt hurt!

Also when I make a comment and end it with a lol or similar it means the comment was to be taken with a sense of HUMOR!!

2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #18 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

No worries, ask away.

post #19 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Immune

whether they were answered or not the questions were not directed to you so your coment was unnessessary. You were just being an ass IMO. You could have just said they were answered in the post not "WOW did you read the post" I am over it I just didn't like your response.
Thanks artic if I have any other questions I will ask.

post #20 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Thanks....back to topic please.

post #21 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I think the KOSO looks sweet. I'll agree with some that $300 might be to rich for my blood but man was it $300 well spent. I read all the posts, twice, so I dont have any questions for you.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #22 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I really like this setup! This is one of the things that really bugs me about the 919 and that keeps it's technology holdup in the 90's.

I have one question though does the speed sensor require a wire running to to the wheel from the gauges? If so that's a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to have a wire running down my fork leg to detect speed.

post #23 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
I really like this setup! This is one of the things that really bugs me about the 919 and that keeps it's technology holdup in the 90's.

I have one question though does the speed sensor require a wire running to to the wheel from the gauges? If so that's a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to have a wire running down my fork leg to detect speed.
Yep.....there is an active sensor....meaning, no magnet. The sensor can be programmed to work with a hole in the brake disk --- or a brake disk bolt. You then tell the speedo -- how many bolts/holes it needs to count. To be honest --- I followed my front steel brake line..... think the setup and even the wire looks pretty bad ass..... Thanks to the nice Koso mounting bracket --- mounting the sensor was a breeeze. (unlike some of the other kits I've done in the past where you had to screw with a magnet....JB Weld to mount the sensor)

There are 3 wires going to the speed sensor..... and two feeding the OEM speedo.....

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to simply use the old speedo signal (The Koso is programmable enough in that regard to work with just about ANY trigger signal) --- but to be honest, I REALLY like the front sensor.

----- One BIG PLUS.....you can tell if you front wheel stops during a wheelie......LOL.....

post #24 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

So ---- did 6 hours of twisties today....... ABSOLUTELY LOVE the gauge ----- FINALLY, a speedometer that is accurate.... an EXCELLENT shift light....... PLUS dropping the 5+pounds of OEM speedo weight made a serious change during hard transitions from side to side in the twisties.......

The weight difference is VERY noticeable. I would spend the $300 again in a heartbeat.
CB 919 likes this.

post #25 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

o.k..... bear with me here..... took some photos tonight.... should answer ALOT of questions....

Please note --- the 2 pieces of black perforated steel were NOT part of the Koso kit. The Koso only came with the bracket directly underneath it. Decided to get creative.....had a car exhaust hanger with the 1/8 steel attached to it.....a hack saw, some grinding on my bench grinder, a little bit of rattle can black....and walla! It then bolted right up to the underside of the upper triple.

Bye, bye, boat anchor.

post #26 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Plug N' Play...... I can have the gauge off in minutes.

post #27 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

The sensor reads the brake disk bolts as they move by. To test the sensor....as you roll the bike, the sensor will flash, indicating it sees the brake disk bolts. (The LED flash can't been seen once moving past a slow walk)

post #28 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Tesserarius

Very clean install, looks awesome. I didnt really want a windscreen but I may have to get one. Due to how nice that gauge fits in there.

post #29 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

The front of the bike looks fine without the windscreen, though --- without the huge gauges not sure how much wind protection you'd get....... after a week with the honda fly screen though, I can barely stand not having it on there. On the highway, it makes a big difference.

Here's a profile shot.

post #30 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Very nice, I like it. Keep posting, I want to know more about the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge. Will the temp. gauge have some king of indicator or only a light that comes on when your overheating??

Anyways, very nice

post #31 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Tesserarius

So thats just the OEM screen thing? I love the look with the Koso tucked in there

post #32 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Yep.....there is an active sensor....meaning, no magnet. The sensor can be programmed to work with a hole in the brake disk --- or a brake disk bolt. You then tell the speedo -- how many bolts/holes it needs to count. To be honest --- I followed my front steel brake line..... think the setup and even the wire looks pretty bad ass..... Thanks to the nice Koso mounting bracket --- mounting the sensor was a breeeze. (unlike some of the other kits I've done in the past where you had to screw with a magnet....JB Weld to mount the sensor)

There are 3 wires going to the speed sensor..... and two feeding the OEM speedo.....

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to simply use the old speedo signal (The Koso is programmable enough in that regard to work with just about ANY trigger signal) --- but to be honest, I REALLY like the front sensor.

----- One BIG PLUS.....you can tell if you front wheel stops during a wheelie......LOL.....
Thanks for the response. I sure do like it!

post #33 of 263 Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

There are two temp gauges...one for coolant, and one for oil..... there are overheat warning lights that are on the analog face (which are settable within a menu for whatever temp you want to trip the light)...and also a mode on the digital side that tells the actual temp..... am thinking about installing sensor #2 in the air box intake (where my flapper use to be) --- would be cool to have an intake/ambient air temp reading instead of the oil temp reading.

the Koso is pretty smart.....The fuel gauge area on the digital side stays blank (like there isnt one).....then when the bike hits reserve, the sensor in the tank then sends a 150 ohm signal to the gauge (its either on or off, signal or no signal).... the fuel meter shows up empty & blinks. Good enough for me.........The 919 simply does not have the right fuel sensor in the tank to make it work like a normal gauge.

post #34 of 263 Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Red Rider

Damn that thing looks GREAT!! bummer about the fuel gauge but I guess we don't have one now anyway! Great install, I know your living it!

2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #35 of 263 Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Just curious, did you weigh your old guages, or are you guessing? Did you weigh your new set up with brackets and all? 5 pounds difference sounds like an awful lot.....

It does look a lot better, takes 15 years of the age of the 919. I've learned my lesson with the 919, which can be a money pit if you let it. Just buy a bike with all the stuff you like, already on it. It's a lot cheaper. I've gotten tired of working on stuff.

post #36 of 263 Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

yeah.... you're probably right - I don't know for sure the exact difference in weight. (realistically it may be a couple pound difference between the two....the Koso & bracket however is extremely light weight....and its unbelievable how much of a lump the stocker is...)

Ya know ---- the 919 is bike #15 for me....

Use to think I could buy a bike 'ready to go'. No matter what I have, I'm going to mod it..... so, I'd rather mod the hell out of the 919 with cheap used parts....

I guess if you can resist the urge to mod....... your plan MIGHT work.

post #37 of 263 Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Cornicen

money pit

That is a valuable and well done mod. Especially if your
gauges are already damaged.
took a gsxr 1000 for a blast, first time on a real bike.
mine looks like a go cart to me now-after all the $$$
should have bought a cbr 1000
i'd have $ for decent gear to wear.
live and learn and listen to LDH he's right.

post #38 of 263 Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

If you were looking for a high speed bike, you bought the wrong one.

post #39 of 263 Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You know I've been avoiding it but I've just got to chime in on this now. *First please note that I'm not upset pissed off or offended or anything of the kind I just want to say what I think nobody else has said on the modding of the 919 vs modding a CBR1000RR into a naked.*

First modding and making something different according to your own taste is just fun for some people! That has a value. I have now spent thousand of $ modding mine and I just love it and no one else has one like it. I spent $6000 on a new (not wrecked) bike that I considered to be very nice looking. IMHO it's a lot better looking than a CBR1000RR that's been stripped of all it's plastic making it basically look like a wrecked bike.

The CBR even with the bars changed out isn't going to be as comfortable to ride as the 919 because it doesn't have the same seating position, type of seat or foot peg placement.

I've upgraded my suspension and installed a turbo and I have already hung with more than one current model 1000 on the streets. So the performance with about equal ability rider is there or extremely close.

Now if what you want is to make faster lap times on the track then you should definitely go with the 1000 it is a race bike. But when you simi turn it into a naked bike you probably won't get those faster lap times.

I've been thinking for a long time now that the only thing keeping the my 919 from looking and functioning like a new bike is the gauges and these Koso's just might be the answer to that with the exception of a fuel gauge.

Okay last thought. I think that getting a wrecked 1000 and modding it to look like a necked is a really cool idea and project that I've even considered myself but to constantly keep jabbing at others because they're modding theirs is just starting to get a little boring.

post #40 of 263 Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

......I've done a similar project on an '05 R1.....w/ an LSL superbike handlebar kit.

Hard to explain.....had the bike to the track many times.....it just never felt right. Sitting upright messed with the bikes geometry. If you like 120+ mph wheelies....feel free.

Damn near shit my pants many a day on that bike.

The only thing that bike was good at was hooligan fun....really wasn't good at the track.....really wasn't good at high speed runs....and definately wasn't very comfortable past 1 hour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode