Just found you guys, need buying tips - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Just found you guys, need buying tips

Hello to all. I have been dual sportin a klr650 for a few years. My last street bike was a 1999 Honda Valkyrie IS. My last naked bike was....well, a long time ago. I have been looking to add a street bike for a while. I mean, you don't HAVE to ALWAYS hit the forest roads and trails in N GA, I guess.

Anyway, I have looked at several bikes from sv650's to zr's to classic early 80's v30's and v45's. I have been aware of 919's for many years and a possible deal has surfaced. I have always admired 919's from afar.

It is an 03, smoke, 21k miles with pc3 and yoshi exhaust. It also has some kind of double "street fighter" headlights (are there any stock headlights around?). Seller also says "the tank has a few dings/dents" and "there are a few scuffs on the engine side case". Unfortunately for him and fortunately for a buyer, he needs to sell fast and is price flexible. He is at least the second owner, hasnt had it long, and doesn't know the history of the bike.

But, based on recent experience of seller description vs buyer "me" perception, I am skeptical till i see for myself. So I will go to see and ride it tomorrow.

So, is there anything specific to the 03 919 I need to be concerned about, or check for? It will need new tires, what does the collective generally prefer? I am old, slow, and not a hooligan or sport biker, really. I am just looking for a nice naked to ride in a variety of ways when not dual sportin.

I hate to take advantage of someone's hard time, but I try to think I am helping us both out. I just dont want karma to bite me with a dud bike because I didn't ask here first.

Also, our conversation price so far is about $2500, as is.

Thanks, in advance. I will now read this entire site, tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Sounds like a fair deal for both parties. The 919 is a nice bike and has a good amount of power. I'd really give it a once over and ride it for 20 minutes before you decide what to do.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Howdy DSCR, Welcome to Wristtwisters.

I haven't had personal experience with the dual headlight setup, I'm assuming that the ones on this bike are the "Dominator" headlights...in any case, I'm sure you could get a stock headlight easy enough. Be warned, though...lots of folks think the stock headlight isn't exactly the cat's ass... As to tires, everyone has their opinions, but you can't go wrong with Michelin Pilot Road 2ct's...they grip really well in all conditions and are long-wearing too.

The deal on the bike overall doesn't sound bad, but it does sound like a considerable amount of cosmetic damage that will take some fixing. take that into account, it should influence the offer you make to the seller...This bike hasn't been babied! Mechanically it's probably sound, but check the chain & sprockets out since they may need replacing, and after your test ride, make sure the forks aren't leaking, and ask for maintenance records. give it good solid look over pre- and post-ride.

Take it for a decent ride, put the bike through it's paces and make your decision from there. The 919 is a good fun bike! Good luck with your decision, and hope to see you around here again!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #4 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

With 21K and not knowing the service history:
Like mentioned check the chain and sprockets.
Figure on an oil and filter change.
May need an air filter change/cleaning.
May never have had the valves checked so figure on doing that.
Check to see if the exhaust hangar under the engine has a crack in it. Probably does. Not a big deal but it's something you can use to bargain with.
May have the original plugs.

$2,500 is a good start. Use some of the above to your advantage to negotiate further.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
CG

Some 919 info you might care about.

The only significant changes came in '04 when they improved the suspension somewhat. They added rebound damping adjustment to the forks and the shock and I believe reduced the spring rate on the shock to a more appropriate level for one-up riding.

I just mention this in case you might want to have a later 919 if money is not a huge issue. The $2500 price is about as low as I've heard of. The bike does have a few miles on it.

Basically, if you can only afford something in that price range, go for it if it seems to be well cared for. If it's been abused for those miles or poorly maintained, I would walk away and look for another. It won't be a good deal if you have to constantly fix stuff or sink a lot of money into to get it into decent shape.

The 919 is a great bike though and I think a great value, especially at that price.

A really pristine low mileage '06 or '07 seems to go for around $4500 - $5K in most areas.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

is this it?

2003 919 W/HELMET $3000 MAKE ME AN OFFER NEED GONE THIS WEEK..........

I think it's a little too much mileage. Don't get me wrong, 23k is nothing for honda.

here, try low balling this guy (link below), offer him $3k or lower. You will easily spend $500 between new tank and stock headlight and you will have 5900 mile bike for the same price as that one you are looking at, just MHO

Honda 919

post #7 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Tirone

$2500 sounds like a very good deal. 21k on an 2003 doesn't sound too high to me.
If you buy it and you want a stock headlight, I'll trade you mine for the dual headlights.
Good luck!

Sold: '05 Saab 92x stage 3+

'04 F150 Super Crew FX4
'02 Honda 919
post #8 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack4875 View Post
If you buy it and you want a stock headlight, I'll trade you mine for the dual headlights.
Good luck!
HEY....I was thinking the same thing, I'll trade your duals headlights for my single too...guess I'm too slow on the draw lately

Also, no use reading the entire site, just read the sticky @ the top of the naked bikes section, "Helpful Topics for 919 owners" by Mistermike, here's a link

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...19-owners.html

Everything else you probably already know, like checking chain/sprocket and all the other usual checks....if not the other posts listed them all for ya...

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #9 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks to all.....

.... for the helpful replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
is this it?

I think it's a little too much mileage. Don't get me wrong, 23k is nothing for honda.

here, try low balling this guy (link below), offer him $3k or lower. You will easily spend $500 between new tank and stock headlight and you will have 5900 mile bike for the same price as that one you are looking at, just MHO

Honda 919
Yes, that is the one. We got down to $2500 on my first call, a little concerning, or it might just be what he has in it. And, I agree with your further assessments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnceguy View Post
HEY....I was thinking the same thing, I'll trade your duals headlights for my single too...guess I'm too slow on the draw lately

Also, no use reading the entire site, just read the sticky @ the top of the naked bikes section, "Helpful Topics for 919 owners" by Mistermike, here's a link

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...19-owners.html

Everything else you probably already know, like checking chain/sprocket and all the other usual checks....if not the other posts listed them all for ya...
Yes, that is the first thread I headed to, very convenient and to the point.

And thanks to you and hack4875 for the headlight swap offer. I like big'ol round headlights. Not that they are that great. Gotta be better than the headlight on the KLR. But I need the KLR for stuff like this.

Yes, this is FS-42 in the Chattahoochee National Forest in north GA about a month ago.

[/IMG]

Again, thanks for the help. I will view and consider this one carefully. I'd rather pass than make a money pit mistake. I will let ya'll know.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
is this it?

Honda 919
I just caught up with you...LOL. Good idea, and you are very correct. I believe you have it nailed. Thanks!

post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

They are really unique fun bikes, I would show up with 2200 cash and take your chances.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome and good luck with the purchase. 9'ers are great bikes.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Tesserarius

What's all that white powdery dirt on the ground? that can't be fun to ride in!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode