Ive been doin' work! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Gunner

Ive been doin' work!

Hey guys, Just thought id show some a couple things ive been working on.

First the exhaust: I love the look of the 9er when its stock cans are off. Theres soo much real estate under there, but obviously its just WAY too loud for anyone that has neighbors within a mile, unless you want to be 'that guy' in your hood. So, I decided to fab the next best thing! Ill start by saying, this was not my first idea, but it was the cheapest, so I figured Id start there. I took some 1.5 inch pipe, put a 20 deg. kick in it, grabbed two 8" drop in baffles and started playing. the end result: bad ass! it sounds SOO nice, i cant believe it! Its not at all what i was expecting to come out. Its got a nice deep tone to it, the throttle response is as crisp as ive felt, and its not overbearingly loud! when I did the bafflectomy, i only pulled the main baffle, so that is all i have to compare it to, as I dont know anyone else with a 9. I would say its slightly louder, but honestly, not more than 5-8 db.
The original idea was to use black header paint on the wrap, but once i put it on, i realized how much it matches the rest of the bike, so for now, it will stay natural. Im going to be adding a few red accents to the bike, so I will do the baffle tip (the black ring at the end) in red, along with fabbing/ mounting a perforated heat shield, also in red. the stainless clamps will be black to tie that in too. Im sure its not for everyone, but considering it cost me about $45 in parts, cut a bunch of weight off the bike, and sounds killer.. it makes me smile, so it was more than worth the afternoons work!

Profile shot:

close up:

Next:solo rearsets. not too much in the way of fabbing, just some clean-up and paint. (made simple with my sand blaster!) step one, but them from Helimech (great guy, fast shipping and a hell of a deal. buy with confidence!), blast them, clean-up, paint, (add disappointment with the glossiness of the satin clear i used..) add new pegs, call it a day.

Dirty:

Clean:

Painted / assembled:

im still working on a few other things as well, but ive been riding alot, so ive been splitting my time. next up are modding/mounting a Z1000 flyscreen (maybe.. depends on how it looks) a few paint details, fabbing some grab rail plugs, and installing my 'the2wheels' order, modding front fender..blah blah blah...

anyway.. just thought id share.

Dean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
duc duc GOOSE!

Awesome work man, wish I had those skills, very unique!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #3 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Ian

Rearsets look great! Glad to see them being put to good use. Post up a video of the exhaust, love the look but jesus that must be loud!

post #4 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Le So Cal Troll

sound clip is a must!

post #5 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Gunner

Thanks!

lol.. i figured id need to grab some sound. maybe ill have my buddy take a clip tonight or tomorrow.. its just COLD right now! maybe ive been spoiled by the 65 degree days.. but todays 45, feels like 25. (i DID still go riding though..)

post #6 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Le So Cal Troll

dont complain about the cold..... stop being a pansy.

<----- says the dude from socal....

post #7 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Looks good, let's hear her already...

post #8 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
dont complain about the cold..... stop being a pansy.

<----- says the dude from socal....

Lol.. i miss coronado!

post #9 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Hastatus Prior

Nice man, rear sets look good, and yeah gotta get a sound clip on. I know when I took my cans off and cranked it she was loud as fook!

Looks lean and mean, kinda makes me want to remove my hugger too......

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #10 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Princeps Prior

post a youtube video man!

post #11 of 24 Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Batman

Now, maybe this is old tech talk to me, but, what are said effects of doing this going to be to your exhaust valves? I remember straight backs no back pressure wrecked havok on old dohc engines valves.... Someone clue me in why this wont.

Again, i just want to learn please, im not dissing the look or concept, just curious.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Gunner

my buddy and I were talking about the whole valve thing, and while we've ALL heard that running straight pipe will hurt valves, Ive never met or talked to anyone who was a victim. Have any of you guys?

Either way, Im not worried about that, as they are baffled. 16 inches is plenty. ..thats what she said!

ill be going out in about an hour to get a sound clip. I wish I could get a fly by shot, but ive got nobody around to run the cam. maybe tonight ill drag the old lady out, and she can do it.

post #13 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee
Nice man, rear sets look good, and yeah gotta get a sound clip on. I know when I took my cans off and cranked it she was loud as fook!

Looks lean and mean, kinda makes me want to remove my hugger too......
Make sure to put something to hold the brake line as it will wind up rubbing against the tire. I found out the hard way after changing a tire and chewed through in less than 5 miles.. it is why I have a stainless steel rear brake line now.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #14 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
Make sure to put something to hold the brake line as it will wind up rubbing against the tire. I found out the hard way after changing a tire and chewed through in less than 5 miles.. it is why I have a stainless steel rear brake line now.
yeah, if you look in the last pic, you can see the clips i used to do just that. I just hadnt got to it for the first few pics. thanks for the heads up..but i wish I didnt.. I want steel braided too!

post #15 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminD3
my buddy and I were talking about the whole valve thing, and while we've ALL heard that running straight pipe will hurt valves, Ive never met or talked to anyone who was a victim. Have any of you guys?

Either way, Im not worried about that, as they are baffled. 16 inches is plenty. ..thats what she said!

ill be going out in about an hour to get a sound clip. I wish I could get a fly by shot, but ive got nobody around to run the cam. maybe tonight ill drag the old lady out, and she can do it.
Ive met quite a few on cb750c.com...but like ive said, times may be really different and exhaust valve design with our cams than the boat anchors of the 80s....

post #16 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Batman

You know, this might be good starting point if you had slight turn outs so a passenger could still ride with you? Got me thinkin....

post #17 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Gunner

sound clips are in! I had already been out riding for an hour before i shot these, so no comments about revving a cold motor! ;-)

Honda 919 custom exhaust - YouTube

the parkinglot is at a out-of-business honda dealership (ironic, dont you think? yeah, I really do think..) did we just have a alanis morrisette moment? ..yeah..i really do think..we did. ..anyway..its a small parking lot, so I really couldnt get the revs up, but this should hold you guys over til this weekend when I can get some more examples under load.

post #18 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
You know, this might be good starting point if you had slight turn outs so a passenger could still ride with you? Got me thinkin....

I plan on fabbing some passenger pegs that will bolt up to the newly vacant exhaust mounting bolt hole. but what did you have in mind as far as "turn outs"?

post #19 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Batman

My idea is like the exhaust tips some members here have grafted on to point to fumes out. Not old school turn outs but a modern squared flange at maybe a 15* out...or maybe better turn ins? I dunno, i really like where your headed with this...just seeing how i couo apply it in my case

post #20 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gunner

Ahh..i see. Yeah, that could work!

post #21 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminD3
yeah, if you look in the last pic, you can see the clips i used to do just that. I just hadnt got to it for the first few pics. thanks for the heads up..but i wish I didnt.. I want steel braided too!
Yup I did see that I was just mentioning that to help save damage for others from being without a bike or without rear brakes for a few days

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #22 of 24 Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 PM
E Honda Streetfighter!!

Nice work mate, that's thinking outside the box!!!

post #23 of 24 Old 03-16-2012, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb919 View Post
Nice work mate, that's thinking outside the box!!!
thanks!

post #24 of 24 Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminD3 View Post
sound clips are in! I had already been out riding for an hour before i shot these, so no comments about revving a cold motor! ;-)

the parkinglot is at a out-of-business honda dealership (ironic, dont you think? yeah, I really do think..) did we just have a alanis morrisette moment? ..yeah..i really do think..we did. ..anyway..its a small parking lot, so I really couldnt get the revs up, but this should hold you guys over til this weekend when I can get some more examples under load.

Haha I just found this post, I'm the one who told that guy to come out of the closet already. Lmao it's a small world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode