It's like a whole new bike! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
boogerface

It's like a whole new bike!

Hey folks,

I just want it to be known that I did a couple of mods over the week. On Monday night, I installed my Renthal Ultra Low (Gray), along with some CycleGear Special Motrax Mini Bar-end Mirrors. The position isn't too aggressive...I guess I'll need to save up for a new rearset to get the sport-bike feel. As for the mirrors, they took a ride or two to get used to. Other than that, they get a thumbs-up. As I said before, if they ever fall off, I'll just grab a pair of CRGs.

Later in the week, I had my friend (an ex-919 owner) help me with my chain/sprocket install. The previous owner of my bike gorilla-torqued the sprocket nuts...ugh. Anyway, I went with Drive Systems/AFAM (??) 15/45t steel setup with a D.I.D. 530VM chain from Sprocket Center. I also bought a D.I.D. KM500 knock-off chain tool (with extra rivet pin) from MikesXS.com for less than 20 bucks shipped.

The chain came cut to 116 links, but we cut it down to 112. The KM500 knock-off was pretty good. The rivet pin isn't tapered, so it smashed the rivets, instead mushrooming them. They aren't the prettiest, but I think they'll hold up. I'll keep an eye on them. I'm probably going to order a couple more replacement pins and maybe taper them myself...or maybe I'll just buy a D.I.D. branded replacement.

Once we got the sprockets/chain installed, I rode it home. HOLY CRAPOLA! It was like a whole different bike. I guess the previous chain was over-stretched. On the old chain, I thought I just sucked at shifting. On the new chain, gear-shifts were butter-smooth. No more clunky chain noise. No stalling from a stop. It's fantastic!

Next up, G&J stainless steel brake lines! Anyone have recommendations on brake fluid? ...was gonna pick up some Galfer DOT4 for 5 bucks.

...other things on my mind:
- SpeedoHealer (Because people point at me and laugh when I'm at the beach)
- New rearset (Sato? Rizoma? WR? Coerce? What else?)
- PowerCommander III
- MIVV X-Cone Exhaust? 9nineteen? Bueller?

I love my bike

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

good for you. it seems you're really happy which makes me really happy!

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #3 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Dido!

Lex Talionis
post #4 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Immune

Your bike sounds nice. I'm interested in your opinion of the sprocket upgrade. I'll be doing the same next winter.

I JUST got my Mivv's this week and I love them! The bike feels a bit quicker and engine braking seems much smoother.

With the db killers in they sound really close to stock. Without them, they sound really close to heaven .
They don't sound like normal crotch-rocket pipes. They're deep and mellow. A little loud for my taste but I think they are quality.

Order the pipes from PJ, he's the coolest.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Milites Gregarius

"The rivet pin isn't tapered, so it smashed the rivets, instead mushrooming them. They aren't the prettiest, but I think they'll hold up."

A chain coming apart at speed can easily end in your death, I'd do more than keep an eye on them.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
boogerface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
I JUST got my Mivv's this week and I love them! The bike feels a bit quicker and engine braking seems much smoother.
Would you be able to take a video of it? I've seen/heard a video on the Mivv website, but there's a good amount of background noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesthing View Post
A chain coming apart at speed can easily end in your death, I'd do more than keep an eye on them.
Yeah, I figured. Luckily, I have a spare master link. I should order those new rivet pins...

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode