It started! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Thumbs up It started!

So I got in the new parts, sorted out my dumbassery in regards to the starter clutch and tried to fire the bike up last week. No such luck. I was scratching my head a bit. I didn't double check that I had the plug wires in the right spots as far as 1/4 and 2/3 were concerned on each coil, but I figured I would have at least gotten a blip or backfire out of it. So I come home this morning from work and decide to try again. I turn the key and don't hear the fuel pump and thought there may have been pressure in the system still. Tried to fire it up and it was the same story. So I popped the cap on the tank and there was no pressure to be heard. So I roll around to the other side and find that the fuel pump wasn't connected. DOH!. A couple seconds later it fires up. Relief, and anxiety at the same time. There's plenty of crap to do still since I did a few cosmetic mods along the way, but I know it runs.

Since I had dumped the oil and refilled it, I knew I needed to check the level since I never touched the '4th quart' At idle on the rear stand it appears to be over full. While running, it's right at the bottom of the window. I scratched my head yet again. So I refer to the FSM, and it didn't exactly help me sort it out. Should I be checking the oil with the bike on it's side stand, or while sitting level but not on the rear stand?

The other issue is black smoke when giving the throttle a good twist. I know that the 9er tends to run rich, but the amount seems a bit excessive. It seems to be idling fine, so I don't think I have the wires out of order at this point. I'm heading out to double check right after this, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Thank you all again for the help you've given me! I don't think I've gotten a smug response, even when I deserved one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Level and not on the rear stand.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Unbannable

Soot is typical, especially for pre 04's.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Exclamation Sucess

CONGRATS
WE WANT PICTURES !

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #5 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Pictures? Take a 919 and put a couple of small dents on the right side of the tank, rash up the exhaust, the alternator cover, and the tail section a little bit. Scratch up the seat, give it a terrible paint job on the tank, install clear tail light cover -w- integrator and fender eliminator, LED blinkers and there ya go! Ok, I'm being a bit retarded since its a terrible description. When I get it all back together I'll post pics. I may go back and fix the cosmetics eventually but right now I am just dying to ride again.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oh, I meant to ask...does the PAIRS blockoff make the soot problem worse?

post #7 of 13 Old 08-21-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Argh! I have no idea what I did today, but it's not starting again I know I mounted the coil for 1/4 and pulled the tank off to 'tidy up.' I remounted the tank, and tried to fire the bike. I can hear the fuel pump kick on, and the starter is turning over with plenty of oomph. The battery is fully charged, but I haven't heard it pop, backfire, or even hickup. Argh! I had to walk away before I started throwing wrenches. Is it possible that the fuel line isn't mounted to the fuel pipe properly? I swear I smelled gas after I attempted to start it, but it could have been residual spill from the tank removal/installation.

I believe there is also something up with the clutch switch. Regardless if I have the clutch pulled in (or the wires disconnected) I can press the starter button and the starter will turn over. I'm at a complete loss here.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Aquilifer

is it in gear? won't start in gear unless side stand switch and clutch switch say it's okay.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-21-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It is in neutral. Will it start in neutral without the clutch?

Now that I've "slept on it" I have came up with a theory that I don't like, but I have to ask about. Since the gauges are newer than the bike, the connectors were different. As such I pulled the wires out of both ends with the intention of either soldering them together, or just plugging them in and using heatshrink to hold them together. Weeeeell I think my "must test everything while I put it back together" attitude may have gotten the better of me. With the battery in, I pulled the wires out of the connectors and proceeded with plugging one in and taping it up for testing. I had assumed (even though I knew better) that no power would be running to the gauges with the key off. I only saw some small sparks, but that was enough to do some potential damage. Is it possible I took the ECU out? Anywhere else I should start looking first?

post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Aquilifer

eech ! you deserve a harley ! and i don't mean that in a good way.

you SURE COULD have roasted the brain. i think you should be forced (and really, it's to your benefit) to read every one of rob tharalson's posts.

a) to punish your brain for what it tells your hands to do to that poor honda and

b) to learn the diagnostic steps to fix your current problem. i do believe that he has pinpointed every electron that honda installed from the factory and holds your hand while you diagnose at the proton level.

post #11 of 13 Old 08-22-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Eech! That doesn't sound encouraging at all. After work I pulled the #1 plug to check for spark and fuel. I'm getting both. Maybe too many 'test starts' left the battery too weak to fire it up properly, it did sound a bit weak. I'm certainly hoping that is the case! As much as I've worked on it at this point, it may as well be a Harley in my book. I'm going out to charge the battery now

post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Aquilifer

make sure that the left coil leads go to the outer cylinders and the right coil goes to the inner.

make sure all vac lines are as they should be.

and yes, make sure yo' batchry's charged.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Argh! I swapped 1/2 wires after I pulled #1 plug again to see what it looked like (well carbonated, but still in working order.) I swapped the 1/2 wires just to see what would happen. After ~10s of cranking, I got fire out of the right side. It scared the crap out of me. I forgot I had pulled the right side exhaust off to replace the ECU. I didn't forget however that the damn thing wasn't running (hence the test.) I'm not sure if it's the ether that's letting it fire, or the gas. There is no restriction on the air side of the equation. Gas is flowing normally best I can tell (no pressure gauge, but I can smell it, and see it when I turn the bike over with the plug(s) pulled) 1/2 wires are firing. I swapped 3/4 around thinking maybe I had gotten the coils bassackwards, but I am still just getting random pops out of the left side. Played musical wires again and put the left exhaust back on. I managed to get a nice pop out of both sides this time, but it still doesn't run. Thoughts? I'm at a loss. Been through most of the ignition system tests with everything coming back as it should. No codes are being thrown off. Grrr!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode