IT is Freakin COLD!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

IT is Freakin COLD!!!

Is there any one else out there freezing their nuggets off riding to work in the morning? i kow i live in GA and it doesnt get cold compared to some places, but this morning it was about 37 degrees when i left, i do have cold weather gloves and i where my military long johns(polypros)under my jeans and i have a leather Icon jacket with the cold weather liner, also today i wore my Columbis fleece under my jacket, and a schampa balaclava, so it wasnt as bad as it could have been. any suggestions on other cold weather gear?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 07:41 AM
DaveCB919F4

Best cold weather gloves I've found are Cornwell welding gloves. They are insulated for welding heat and have big cuffs that pull up over sleeves. I also have an F16 flyscreen that lets me tuck to keep the air off the neck region. I ride year round my commute is only 12 miles so it's not to bad.

post #3 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 07:42 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

thinsulate coveralls work great (like for hunting). i dont care what i look like going/leaving work, i aint in any fashion show. was 28 last week in the morning, 9er started right up, had to brush frost off my seat to keep from sliding off at stops. ill ride until i can no longer take it, but i only have a 4 mile commute. my 2 cents. oh yeah, cheapazz walmart ski gloves and hunting boots, also thinsulate.

post #4 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

32 degrees this morning. Commute is about 13 miles (one way), 95% freeway.

Business casual (jeans and an oxford) under Joe Rocket Ballistic pants and a Teknic 3/4 length jacket with full sleve liner, Marsee Winter gloves with fleece liner, balaclava and Shoei. Standard Icon boots.

Good ride, not too cold. I honestly think it feels kind of good, it's brisk and refreshing for the 15 minute ride. I wouldn't want to go for a day ride like this, but for the commute it's all good.

I would like to get electrics, but I'm going to tough it again this year probably.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #5 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

20 degrees. Wore wool dress pants and a cotton dress shirt, black dress shoes. But I had 2 extra wheels, a roof, and a steering wheel.

Last year I broke my previous (8 degree) record of riding by going out for a half hour at 3 degrees. This year I'll see about hitting the negative numbers for a ride now that my heated grips are on.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Unbannable

Once you try Gerbing electric gloves you'll kick yourself for not using them sooner!

I hear the vest is nice aslo but haven't tried it myself.

post #7 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Under Armor has worked well for me. Good thin layers of UA, T-shirt, Long Sleeve Heaver shirt, and a windproof riding jacket for the top and UA, Jeans and over pants for the lower halve.

post #8 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

You said you were wearing jeans and long johns...I've ridden in 32 degree mornings to work and found that my Joe Rocket overpants work wonders for keeping my lower half warm. I'm guessing it's because they block most of the wind, have a little insulation, and I have jeans under them. For the top half, I was wearing a short sleeve under shirt, long sleeve button up, Nike golf-style windbreaker, and a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Wasn't too bad for the 10 miles to work. I wouldn't want to go any further than that though. My insulated Craftsman mechanics gloves work well for cold weather riding. Very thick, yet supple leather.

Next year I'll have accumulated some better cold weather gear and plan on riding unless their is salt or snow/ice on the road. We have a local around here who rides 365. Standard in the summer and a dual sport with off-road knobbies in the snow. They may even be studded.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #9 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmadawg44 View Post
Is there any one else out there freezing their nuggets off riding to work in the morning? i kow i live in GA and it doesnt get cold compared to some places, but this morning it was about 37 degrees when i left, i do have cold weather gloves and i where my military long johns(polypros)under my jeans and i have a leather Icon jacket with the cold weather liner, also today i wore my Columbis fleece under my jacket, and a schampa balaclava, so it wasnt as bad as it could have been. any suggestions on other cold weather gear?
The key to more comfort is to keep out the wind. No matter how well you layer ... those jeans will always allow cool air to enter. Grab a pair of inexpensive (approx. $100) pair of over pants and your life will be so much better!

post #10 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I froze while under-dressed on the way in this morning.

I then went straight home and picked up my Jeep before hitting up my first customer site this morning. Sad am I.

post #11 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

My winter gear has doors, a roof, a heater, and says Mazda on the side.

My cold threshold for riding in Wisconsin has gotten higher the older I get, but I'm still hoping to ride a while longer before the salt gets spread all over the roads.

post #12 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i am going to put on my 3mil wetsuit and go clean the bottom of a boat... seriously

post #13 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i am going to put on my 3mil wetsuit and go clean the bottom of a boat... seriously
you could wear that while riding too. Anytime you get cold, just pee all over yourself. Or is it a drysuit you need for that? I forget?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #14 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yep, we got up to a very nice clear sky this morning but it was freezing, went to check the Temp and it was 67 degrees out side... to frickin cold for this time of year here.

post #15 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
Yep, we got up to a very nice clear sky this morning but it was freezing, went to check the Temp and it was 67 degrees out side... to frickin cold for this time of year here.
Cough . . . . . . Cough . . . . . .

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #16 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM

I ride year round with the exception of ice. Duel-Star makes heated grips that fit under your existing grips. They are like $30. Do not know how I lived without them. Easy to install. I wired to battery. Only drawback is after a winter season they will deform your grips a bit. Small price to pay. Allows me to wear supple cheapo gloves.

Givi windscreen, and Belstaff-Mercury jacket. Some times put sweatpants over my jeans, and real cold days wear boots.

Also have jett battery powered vest that makes your layering quite versatile. Thought about electric gear but do not want to be tethered and concerns about battery drain.

Still remember the days when I would follow closely behind semis, and at each stop put my gloved hands on the engine.

Hope this helps.

post #17 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
the ocean was'nt too bad... stayed under for 2.5 hours polishing a prop and the rudder/driveshaft on a 28 foot chriscraft..

post #18 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Just finished swapping the front sprocket to a 17 tooth one, and went to ride it and MAN it was COLD! I was a tad bit underdressed, then it got dark, so I will just wait till tomorrow, do not feel like seeing how many deer I can swerve to miss.....

Yes it is a DAMP cold, so dress up!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #19 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Its pretty nippy here in Denver when riding to work in the morning. I used to have a nice warm afternoon/evening to look forward to, on the ride home.
But, thanks to daylight savings time I now ride home in the dark and once that sun goes down its freezing.

I think in Colorado we have a DRY cold, unlike you Florida folks.

post #20 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Montrealmax

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

heathed grip that's the best thing you could buy !

post #21 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM

My bike's been parked for a few days. I rode back and forth to work when it was below freezing with Jeans, thermal underwear, Field sheer Tex jacket with liner, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of gloves (cotton under insulated leather). My legs froze, my fingers were chilled... but in all not too bad with a stop 1/2 way to the office for a cup of coffee.

I had to swing back to night shift this week, so I'm leaving my house at 8PM, leaving office at 7ish AM... After the sun goes down, and before it comes up. Cold nights seem to have a sharper chill than cold days... I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe the amount of moisture in the air...

My commute is 40 miles, 37 of which is interstate... I usually stop half way to work for a coffee to warm up. The 1/2 way point is usually where traffic starts slowing / stopping and I find it difficult to use the controls with numb fingers lol.

I just dropped a few hudo on Lined over pants, Scorpion gloves with liner, and a balaclava. I'm ebaying for some under armor, or a knockoff brand.

post #22 of 49 Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Tirone

uuuummm, yeah yesterday's commute to work was 78 degrees here for me, I had to wear my jacket+gloves. Wait a minute!, I wear that everyday to work, silly me...

post #23 of 49 Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Tirone

Fot the same ambient temp, a clear day adds up to 3,000watts/square meter of energy, less at lower sun angles. I use aerostitch goretex overpants, a widder electric vest,thinsulate motorcycle gloves a windproof jersey and a good balaclava. At age 55 I now think back with horror at some underdressed 200 to 1200 mile rides. Where does the love of God go when the cold turns the minutes to hours.

post #24 of 49 Old 11-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

36 here this am -back home from work... Not too bad! On the morrow it will be close to that. Cortech winter gloves helping out a lot... But, despite their awesome quality, this pair is starting to come apart after a dozen or so rides... going back for replacements...

Lex Talionis
post #25 of 49 Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Rode to the top of Palomar Mtn (5500 ft) and back this afternoon. Probably in the mid 50's at the top. It's 57 degrees here right now at 6pm, supposed to be back to the 80's this upcoming weekend.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #26 of 49 Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceWI View Post
My winter gear has doors, a roof, a heater, and says Mazda on the side.
+1.
Except mine says Mazda on the tailgate, not the side.

I ride until it gets under 20 or we get enough bad weather for them to start salting the roads.

2006 Honda 919
post #27 of 49 Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Tirone

We are neighbors (I am in Phenix city) -- so far no problem, but my ride to work is short and low speed. I have a lined leather jacket that is nice and warm, but need better gloves (I paid $20 on some gloves from the leather and fur outlet off of Airport Thruway, and while they are better than nothing, I would not recommend them). I have noticed that as it gets cooler I am seeing fewer Harley's on the way to work...

2000 Sprint
post #28 of 49 Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ahhh, Real Men!

No one here whining how their tender little tooshie hurts or how the bke vibrates or how they smell of burnt hydrocarbone!

Hats off Gentlemen. Ride on.

post #29 of 49 Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Here... you can't go wrong with this suit. You just need stronger suspension is all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iron-man-pose2.jpg (76.8 KB, 10 views)

post #30 of 49 Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Holly Molly...Talk about sparks flying as you skate across the tarmac

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #31 of 49 Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yep, it's getting to be the time to put the Sta-Bil in the tank, pray for snow (in New Hampshire) and start getting the sled ready.

post #32 of 49 Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I caught myself sliding my hands up under the gas tank the other morning. Between the valve cover and the injector body it's nice and warm.

[
post #33 of 49 Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

In Cali pedaled in shorts and tshirt amazed it's mid-Nov! I didn't put on enough sunscreen and got burned! >80o tomorrow. If you pay the postage I'll bottle up some sunshine and mail it!

post #34 of 49 Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 PM

I bought a pair of heated grips on clearance at TSC.
Turns out there is a label that says not for motorcycles, they fit 7/8 bars.

Is there a reason not to use them on a motorcycle? besides the label that is

post #35 of 49 Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
You said you were wearing jeans and long johns...I've ridden in 32 degree mornings to work and found that my Joe Rocket overpants work wonders for keeping my lower half warm. I'm guessing it's because they block most of the wind, have a little insulation, and I have jeans under them. For the top half, I was wearing a short sleeve under shirt, long sleeve button up, Nike golf-style windbreaker, and a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Wasn't too bad for the 10 miles to work. I wouldn't want to go any further than that though. My insulated Craftsman mechanics gloves work well for cold weather riding. Very thick, yet supple leather.

Next year I'll have accumulated some better cold weather gear and plan on riding unless their is salt or snow/ice on the road. We have a local around here who rides 365. Standard in the summer and a dual sport with off-road knobbies in the snow. They may even be studded.
If You'll throw that wind breaker over the mesh jacket you'll notice a huge difference. Having something doesn't allow the wind to go through it is a must but it needs to be well insulated from your body or it will still make you cold.

post #36 of 49 Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

ya know... ya'll could all just move down here...the house prices are low right now... then ya can ride year round without liners...

post #37 of 49 Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i like my seasons Barton, unlike sunshine and sand, we ozarkers prefer a lil cool weather every once and a while, and we do have a mess of twisties too

post #38 of 49 Old 11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
I caught myself sliding my hands up under the gas tank the other morning. Between the valve cover and the injector body it's nice and warm.

That's right. If you've got one of these ----> CM3, you've got a hand warmer.
Put mine right on the sides.

Now go ride ya wussies !!!

post #39 of 49 Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
i like my seasons Barton, unlike sunshine and sand, we ozarkers prefer a lil cool weather every once and a while, and we do have a mess of twisties too
true about the twisties... the other morning it got down to 65f......... i was looking for my liner...

post #40 of 49 Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I'd love to go ride but it's been raining and in the 30's and 40's all week. Same forecast this weekend with the addition of snow tonight. Blah!

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode