Issue with wrist angle - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Issue with wrist angle

I'm going to probe the experience banks here and see if others have had the issue I have and if so, how they fixed it.

I commute on my bike as often as possible, 30 miles roundtrip. I love my 919 for it and have absolutely no complaints. A couple weeks ago I went on a ride that totalled about 250 miles. After about 75 miles my butt was getting sore, but I'm planning on sending in my seat to Spencer to get it modified. The main problem came after around 150 miles or so. I think the angle that my wrists are at while riding is causing me problems. Especially my right wrist. It started getting really sore and stiff. By the time the ride was completely over, I would get up to about 80, let loose of the throttle and shake my hand until I slowed back down to about 50 (great for traffic, huh?).

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how have you solved it? I like the position of the stock bars as far as how much/little I have to lean forward to get them. I'm thinking bars with less of an angle, closer to drag bars might be better for me, but I'm not sure. Suggestions?

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

There are plenty of options out there in the area of bars and risers. Rizoma has good choices for changing bar height the way you want it from risers to bars. Renthal, Pro Taper, Driven, Twistedthrottle.com, etc.

Maybe sit on your bike and picture where you think you'd feel better holding the bars? Then look at where your have your arms / hands and picture in your head the type of bar / riser that might make that happen for you.

Also, I found a sight recently...streetfightersinc.com. They have a good selection of bars and risers as well. Even the drag bars like you mentioned. I'm kinda in the same boat with my bar situation on my FZ1. I'm changing the risers now but haven't decided on a bar that I like yet.

Hope this helps

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #3 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Best money you will ever spend:

https://www.crampbuster.com/index.html

post #4 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Red Rider

I put on Renthal Streetfighter bars and sent my seat to Sargent for a premium foam upgrade, best money I have ever spent on my 919!!!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #5 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Best money you will ever spend:

https://www.crampbuster.com/index.html

+1. And if you're an idiot and throw it away while out of town James will give you his.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I'm liking that cramp buster...I think I remember seeing those before. I will have to order me one. Will help out for long rides in the future. Thanks for posting

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #7 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Tire abuser

If it's just your right wrist, I think you need a cruise control. There a few kinds available (Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cruise Mate, etc.) - I have used a few different kinds (I don't even remember the brand names). They work well, they are cheap, and they are easy to disengage (just touch the throttle). Not a good idea in heavy traffic, but a real wrist-saver on a long ride. (And it beats holding the throttle with your left hand while you uncramp your right hand - that's a bit of a risky maneuver).

post #8 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Besides different bars and/or something like a Crampbuster, could you experiment with loosening the current bars in the stock risers, rotating the bar up or down to change the angle, re-tighten the bars, and check hand-wrist fatigue with the changed geometry?

post #9 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Tirone

If you decide on bar risers, I would recommend the Rox Risers.They have dual rotating points and can be dialed in to your liking....I have them on mine. The throttle locks are also worth looking into.

post #10 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

i would def recommend going with a straighter bar such as the renthals, the angle on the stock bars is definitely harsh on the wrists

post #11 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

My wrist and hand would hurt me on long trips (over Hundred miles or so) The way I fixed it was to stop griping the throttle so hard .... Now I just use the lest amount of pressure I can on it and I haven't had the pain anymore ..

post #12 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Simon Barsinister

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Crampbuster works like a charm for longer rides. I don't use it on my daily commute, but anytime I'm on a ride for any distance, it's definitely in play. Also tried one version of the throttle lock, but found it was too close to the start switch and would engage the switch when I didn't expect it to and cutout the headlight. Not a good situation.

post #13 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM

my wrists/hands kill me after riding around with my girlfriend on the back.. also on long freeway rides.

post #14 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

Always a good discussion and certainly one that is so subjective it's very difficult to diagnose. Move the stock bars around little by little. Perhaps invest in gradually longer periods in the saddle or more frequent 250+ milers. Just like cycling your body gets conditioned to the longer distances. The flatter bar does decrease the angle on your wrists, but will put you further forward. Do you have any old injuries to your neck, shoulder, etc? Are you slouching in the saddle, i.e. not using your core to support your torso?

post #15 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i have the suburban machinery bars and i have no issues with cramping... or bloating for that matter...

they move your hands wayyyyyyyyy forward... almost in a clip on range but higher...

i am tall with long arms...

post #16 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Thanks to Spencers and a crampbuster helped the wife and I ride 756 miles in one day. If you want complete throttle control while saving your wrist this is the way. Except you still can't take your right hand away from the throttle.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #17 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

One thing that I should probably clarify about the 250 mile ride, most of this was on back roads, not highways. It was planned out to get the most cornering in that we could, so something like the crampbuster things I don't think would work. Those, to me, seem like something best for long highway rides, am I wrong?

I'll be looking into some different handlebar setups soon because I hope to be able to get many more 250+ mile rides in this summer.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #18 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktbox View Post
Always a good discussion and certainly one that is so subjective it's very difficult to diagnose. Move the stock bars around little by little. Perhaps invest in gradually longer periods in the saddle or more frequent 250+ milers. Just like cycling your body gets conditioned to the longer distances. The flatter bar does decrease the angle on your wrists, but will put you further forward. Do you have any old injuries to your neck, shoulder, etc? Are you slouching in the saddle, i.e. not using your core to support your torso?
Definitely need to get more seat time, especially longer spans at once, and I'm hoping to work on that.

Other than being fat and out of shape, no realy neck/shoulder injuries, but I do know I slouch more than I should. I keep trying to work on that, but admittedly, I'm lazy and a creature of habit.

post #19 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I had the same problem with the stock bars. Just too much pullback for me. Would put my wrists at a very uncomfortable angle. I've had Renthal ultra lows, and now Coerce. More better.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #20 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I use the 9er mostly for long day/mileage stuff. I'm one of a few who went to aftermarket bars and then back to stock. The stockers work better for me if I have to be in the saddle a long time. As I mentioned earlier, Crampbuster helps. You mentioned you did 250 miles of backroad work. Once you get used to it you can adjust the Crampbuster and still use it on backroads, or just spin it out of the way. Just don't do like I did and knock it off your grip and toss it away while out of town.

You might look into thicker aftermarket grips, or some with gel padding. The stock bars tend to vibrate more which can cause fatigue. Also pay attention to what type of gloves you're wearing. Finger areas that are too short/tight, palm area that is too stiff or lightly padded, or a wrist area that is too stiff won't allow your hand to relax.

Like others have said, a light grip also helps. Paying attention to your grip can help with this. Leg and stomach muscles play an important part in the overall equation.

A naked bike helps unload the wrists to a certain point because the air on your chest will help hold you upright so you don't have to support your weight with your wrists/hands. Where a naked bike hurts is at speed for long miles. The wind is trying to push you back and you have to tighten your grip to stay in a comfortable postiion. A windscreen can help that problem.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #21 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 06:26 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post

i am tall with long arms...
and ugly too

JK man

post #22 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Once you get used to it you can adjust the Crampbuster and still use it on backroads, or just spin it out of the way. Just don't do like I did and knock it off your grip and toss it away while out of town.
Yeah...

Always a sad day when your folks go senile and start throwing away perfectly good crampbusters.

post #23 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yeah...

Always a sad day when your folks go senile and start throwing away perfectly good crampbusters.
I don't remember being senile.

post #24 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I used to have the same problem with wrist angles. Different bars helped alot with that and vibration. I have soft aftermarket grips as well. The crampbuster doesn't go well with the soft grips as it cuts right into them. Throttle lock is what I use now. It is nice to be able to rest the right hand if needed.

Spoiler:

post #25 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 02:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

new bars and vista cruise throttle lock

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #26 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 05:30 PM
CB900

I agree with heaps of the above posts. I too liked the OEM bar position, and had the right wrist thing going on. I replaced the grips for slightly softer ones, and got a Crampbuster, and love it. I leave it on all day, and for $10 its worth a try. I got a Vista Cruise universal for a long trip but didn't like how much real estate it took up on the grip, and it also meant moving my right mirror in so i couldnt see out of it. I saw a post somewhere here about using a longer bolt to clamp it in place to the master cylinder bracket, and have been meaning to try it. The best thing is just more saddle time but, the body gets used to it after a while.

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #27 of 35 Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Tirone

I have had the same problem. Long rides are always hell on my butt and right wrist. One thing I did find that worked was to take my right thumb and rest it on the control just above the starter button. This is not a great position to be in when in the turns, but for straight-aways it offers a chance for that wrist to rest.

2002 Honda 919
post #28 of 35 Old 03-22-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I had the same problem with the stock bars. Just too much pullback for me. Would put my wrists at a very uncomfortable angle. I've had Renthal ultra lows, and now Coerce. More better.
Any remote possibility that you'd still have the stock bars (and maybe the Renthals) so you could take a pic with them together for comparison??

post #29 of 35 Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I know I don't have the Renthals, but I think I have my stock bars still. I'll look and see if I can't get a pic.

post #30 of 35 Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Man-up there, sallyboy, if ridin a 919 was easy, everyone would be doing it.

just kidding. Different things work for different people. So you may have to try a few different things before you come up with a combo that works for you.

Moving and streching whilst on the move is what works for me. I have put a Coherce bar on my bike, not because th stock one was uncomfy, but mostly to get out of some of the wind. The fact that I'd bent my stocker might have had some influence also. But I stand up a lot. on decel, give your throttle paw a break. Move around on that seat. Hanging off a bit in the curves is a good way of combating a sore posterior. Strech during breaks. This aint like sittin in the Caddy. Like I said, it it was easy. everybody would be doing it.

post #31 of 35 Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here ya go.

post #32 of 35 Old 03-22-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Sugs, do those bars have you leaned much farther forward than the stocks? From the picture they look to be a bit lower.

post #33 of 35 Old 03-23-2009, 06:50 AM

On long jaunts I lay my fingers on the levers and control the throttle with the resistance from the palm of my glove and thumb. I relax my grip on the handle bars.

Get some good gloves with gel or foam on the heel of your palm. This should isolate some vibration.

Might also make sure you are not supporting yourself with your arms. Try using your stomach muscles to keep your topside supported.

Relax your grip, keep weight off, stretch your fingers whenever possible.

My distance record on the 919 is 1200 miles in 2 days on the interstate... My legs were a bit cramped the second day, but my wrists and arms were fine. I rode 75% of the trip with my fingers laying ontop of the levers, I think this may have helped some with wrist cramps.

post #34 of 35 Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

From those pics it looks to me that the new bars are only about 1" lower than the stockers.

Spoiler:

post #35 of 35 Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
Sugs, do those bars have you leaned much farther forward than the stocks? From the picture they look to be a bit lower.
I did some measuring last night and the difference in rise is around 2 inches. I'm a touch over 6ft tall, with a long torso and long arms so the extra forward lean is perfect for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode