Is this sound normal upon acceleration? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Is this sound normal upon acceleration?

Recently acquire a 919 with very low mileage and I noticed when I accelerate in 1st and 2nd it would make a tapping or ticking sound around the 2k-4K rpm range.
I don’t think the sound is normal but I wouldn’t know since the bike is still new to me.
Not my video but you can hear it at the 2:02 mArk when he accelerates. Seems like a few people hears the same sound too. Should it be something to worry about?
Here’s the link
https://youtu.be/d0mdjaAzgr0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-22-2020, 04:11 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegaw1126 View Post
Recently acquire a 919 with very low mileage and I noticed when I accelerate in 1st and 2nd it would make a tapping or ticking sound around the 2k-4K rpm range.
I donít think the sound is normal but I wouldnít know since the bike is still new to me.
Not my video but you can hear it at the 2:02 mArk when he accelerates. Seems like a few people hears the same sound too. Should it be something to worry about?
Hereís the link
https://youtu.be/d0mdjaAzgr0

I just listened to most of the vid' and early on heard a reedy sound that seemed to be from forward on the bike.
It made me wonder if perhaps you have the infamous vibrating headlight mounting assembly gremlin.
Check the following link out, keeping in mind to look for the pure vibration posts as compared to the vibration induced electrical connection failures. There's posts including the RPM range of the buzz, as well as a few different fixes, should that be your problem
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...ons-28152.html

post #3 of 18 Old 05-24-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

It’s definitely not a vibration sound. I’m starting to wonder if it’s a cam chain tensioner noise. I read a lot of post about the noise but nobody ever mention anything about the ccts. Do these bikes have cct issues?? I had a f4i in the past and they had issues with their cct.
The noise is only present around 2.5k-4K rpm range whether you accelerate or idle. I do notice the noise almost goes away tho when it warms up but still slightly audible. My bike is an 07 and only has about 3600 miles.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-24-2020, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

In the video when he takes off from 1st to 2nd you can hear the sound. It sounds like something’s rattling.

post #5 of 18 Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 PM
Pokemon Master

I hear the noise, and mine makes a similar noise, but I'm not sure what it could be. Mine has 52,xxx miles, runs great and uses no oil between changes, so the noise is probably not terminal. I do know these bikes have loud fuel injectors.

2007 919, 2013 CB500X, 2009 Buell XB12R, 20+ bicycles
post #6 of 18 Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 PM
McTavish

Quote:
In the video when he takes off from 1st to 2nd you can hear the sound. It sounds like somethingís rattling.
I went back and listened to pre through post 2.02 minutes time frame and can't hear anything abnormal.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-25-2020, 07:18 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Iím starting to wonder if itís a cam chain tensioner noise. I read a lot of post about the noise but nobody ever mention anything about the ccts. Do these bikes have cct issues??
919s as a classification don't have cam chain tensioner issues, including those that have be mercilessly flogged forever.

post #8 of 18 Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM
919 Rider

If you lug these engines you can get valve train rattle.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-26-2020, 06:29 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

There's a particular noise that seemingly every 919 makes. It's the injector noise, it's pretty loud, and you hear it good in the lower rpms. I wondered what it was as well, the bike always did it and has done it for the last 50k miles of abuse. Oil analysis says everything is golden, despite the track days and what not. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your bike is fine.

Also, watching that guy ride makes me cringe with his clutch work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #10 of 18 Old 05-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
... watching that guy ride makes me cringe with his clutch work...
OMG +1!!

It's all I can see when I'm watching - who on earth told him to pull the clutch in every time you shut the throttle?

post #11 of 18 Old 05-26-2020, 05:14 PM
Tesserarius

EVERY forum EVER has numerous threads re My engine ticks.

My MO is: Let that son of a bitch blow up, so I can buy a new one. But I've yet to blow s anything up. Ok, at least not in the last 40 years. There was that CR125 back in 1980.

I have a John Deere lawn tractor that I'd swear is going to put a rod thru the block at any minute. But it's sounded like that for years.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-26-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yes I read numerous threads of people saying it’s the injectors or piston slap. I had a few Honda bikes in the past but none of them ever made that noise in any rpm range and I don’t ever lug the engine at all.
I’ve only had the bike for a week so it’s still pretty new to me. I guess I feel better hearing it from you guys that clocked so many miles on it and owning it way longer than I have.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-26-2020, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Quote:
In the video when he takes off from 1st to 2nd you can hear the sound. It sounds like something’s rattling.
I went back and listened to pre through post 2.02 minutes time frame and can't hear anything abnormal.
If you don’t hear the noise then most likely yours don’t make that sound. As soon as I heard it in the video I recognized the sound and mine makes the same sound around 2.5k-4K rpm in 1st and 2nd gear.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-03-2020, 07:06 AM
'02 919

My 2002 has that sound, in my opinion it's piston slap. If it is true that the 919 is a stroked 750 block, then it's more likely for piston slap. But I'm new to this bike, so still learning the mechanics.

post #15 of 18 Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsza View Post
My 2002 has that sound, in my opinion it's piston slap. If it is true that the 919 is a stroked 750 block, then it's more likely for piston slap. But I'm new to this bike, so still learning the mechanics.
Mine is an 06 with 14K miles and I believe it's piston slap as well because it completely goes away after I get some heat into it. I do hear the injector pulses, but hear that on every EFI bike I have owned.

The valve train is exceptionally quiet on these bikes.

post #16 of 18 Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 AM
McTavish

Audible piston slap from a low mileage, tight cylinder wall clearance engine with quite dimensionally stable cast hyper/super eutectic pistons, that's water cooled, sounds is a rather iffy proposition in my mind.
Especially when considering that the cold fit clearance of a new build ranges from a mere 6/10ths of a thou' to 2 thou, and I'll bet that 90+% of the builds are no more than 1 thou'.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Idk what the noise is. it's quiet when ice cold, loudest a few minutes into riding and then silent when it's hot. all I know is, my bike still starts every time and makes sport bike riders blush

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

post #18 of 18 Old 10-16-2020, 02:12 PM
919 Rider

I just can’t hear anything abnormal in that video. If anything the bike could do with a louder exhaust. That will get rid of any clicks, clunks and rattles.
My bike has no piston slap as far as I can tell. If I lug the engine I do get a little valve train rattle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode