is it normal... - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here
 
4manhilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rowlett, TX
Posts: 208
Rep Power: 1
 
is it normal...

with my bike on the rear stand it makes a slight clicking noise while spinning the rear wheel. honestly i can not remember it ever making this noise until today after i adjusted the chain. i took the bike for a quick spin and rechecked the adjustment. everthing seems a o.k. but, it is still making a clicking noise (sounds like nothing more than the chain making contact w/ the rear sproket). i just don't remember ever noticing this before. anyone?

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
4manhilt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed
 
Aquila-RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bootiful Bay Area
Posts: 7,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4manhilt View Post
with my bike on the rear stand it makes a slight clicking noise while spinning the rear wheel. honestly i can not remember it ever making this noise until today after i adjusted the chain. i took the bike for a quick spin and rechecked the adjustment. everthing seems a o.k. but, it is still making a clicking noise (sounds like nothing more than the chain making contact w/ the rear sproket). i just don't remember ever noticing this before. anyone?
Mine - when I had it - has always done that.

Aquila-RC51 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Chain possibly binding? When is the last time you cleaned and lubed it? Is it in the exact same spot on each revolution?




dadogs is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Wookie
 
ragdoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,274
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Mine does that same thing... my sprocket is in much need to be replaced. Check yours out.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

ragdoll is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Mine - when I had it - has always done that.
Now you just run around and make that clicking sound with your mouth. Hey on the upside you should be able to pick up Zimbabwe chicks with ease!

Jebus......I just derailed a thread in 4 posts.......sorry




dadogs is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,705
Rep Power: 0
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Mine - when I had it - has always done that.
The RC?!
Mine doesn't "click".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Mine does that same thing... my sprocket is in much need to be replaced. Check yours out.
...and you're gonna ride it to Jennings?!

h ryder is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here
 
4manhilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rowlett, TX
Posts: 208
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Chain possibly binding? When is the last time you cleaned and lubed it? Is it in the exact same spot on each revolution?
my first thought as well. but after double checking my marks and rechecking torque on my axle nut everything seems OK. i cleaned my chain two weeks ago. and the clicking seems to be every sprocket tooth, not once a revolution. i would be shocked if i needed a new sprocket. i only have K on the bike and everything has been maintained. like i said - everything looks o.k., i just had never noticed this noise before and wanted to hear your thoughts.

mark

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
4manhilt is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed
 
Aquila-RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bootiful Bay Area
Posts: 7,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
The RC?!
Mine doesn't "click".

Yes, it did. It was like a whirring kinda noise with a low noise slight clicking.

Aquila-RC51 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here
 
4manhilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rowlett, TX
Posts: 208
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Yes, it did. It was like a whirring kinda noise with a low noise slight clicking.
ahhhh... exactly... i think. i almost thought it was the bearings before i got down close.

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
4manhilt is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member
 
RC51_CBRXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,498
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
The RC?!
Mine doesn't "click".


...and you're gonna ride it to Jennings?!
Since the RC was made in Japan ... it goes "CRICK".

RC51_CBRXX is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Since the RC was made in Japan ... it goes "CRICK".





dadogs is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,705
Rep Power: 0
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Since the RC was made in Japan ... it goes "CRICK".
I'm on my 4th rear tire & of all the chain adjusts, never noticed a "CRICK".
Now I'm gonna have to go check...

h ryder is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed
 
Aquila-RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bootiful Bay Area
Posts: 7,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
I'm on my 4th rear tire & of all the chain adjusts, never noticed a "CRICK".
Now I'm gonna have to go check...

You go check RC now. Makee sure it no go crick crick. Crick crick is no good.

One time, I lide by lee Led Dlagon Lestaulant, and RC go Crick. I checkee de tire and all da chain, butee see no leason why it go crick crick.

Aquila-RC51 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
You go check RC now. Makee sure it no go crick crick. Crick crick is no good.

One time, I lide by lee Led Dlagon Lestaulant, and RC go Crick. I checkee de tire and all da chain, butee see no leason why it go crick crick.
Uh huh an den?




dadogs is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,379
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4manhilt View Post
with my bike on the rear stand it makes a slight clicking noise while spinning the rear wheel. honestly i can not remember it ever making this noise until today after i adjusted the chain. i took the bike for a quick spin and rechecked the adjustment. everthing seems a o.k. but, it is still making a clicking noise (sounds like nothing more than the chain making contact w/ the rear sproket). i just don't remember ever noticing this before. anyone?
Yeah, it's normal. More than likely what you are hearing is the chain contacting the countershaft (front) sprocket because that is louder than on the rear sprocket (this is because the chain has to travel around a tighter radius and that creates more noise). You will notice that the sound is almost non-existant right after lubing the chain, but is louder if it has been a while since lubing.

motorwerks919 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke
 
MotoCycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,085
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4manhilt View Post
my first thought as well. but after double checking my marks and rechecking torque on my axle nut everything seems OK. i cleaned my chain two weeks ago. and the clicking seems to be every sprocket tooth, not once a revolution. i would be shocked if i needed a new sprocket. i only have K on the bike and everything has been maintained. like i said - everything looks o.k., i just had never noticed this noise before and wanted to hear your thoughts.

mark
Did you adjust the chain while bike was on the center stand? If so, then it's too tight. That would account for the 'crick' 'crick' sound. The bike's chain should be adjusted with the weight of the bike on the rear suspension. It can be done on the side stand, but its lame. Best is to use a rear stand or get a helper to hold bike upright. If you used a rear stand, in theory, you could also get it too tight by lifting the bike from a point too far forward of the axle. Ideally, you want to lift the bike as close to the axle as possible but still be able to get to axle nut and adjusters with your tools. with the bike on the side stand, measure the free play. Find a spot in the middle of the lower chain section. Place your ruler next to the chain and pick a place you will measure, the top edge or bottom or middle of the link.. doesn't matter, just use the same spot for both ends of the measurement. Pull the chain down snug and set your ruler's zero mark on your chosen spot.. then push chain up and read the same spot. 25mm to 40mm is spec for the 919. I like the looser side of that.. 35 to 40mm. If you have less play.. then re-adjust.

Enjoy!

Crick crick!... He he!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
MotoCycho is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here
 
4manhilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rowlett, TX
Posts: 208
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Did you adjust the chain while bike was on the center stand? If so, then it's too tight. That would account for the 'crick' 'crick' sound. The bike's chain should be adjusted with the weight of the bike on the rear suspension. It can be done on the side stand, but its lame. Best is to use a rear stand or get a helper to hold bike upright. If you used a rear stand, in theory, you could also get it too tight by lifting the bike from a point too far forward of the axle. Ideally, you want to lift the bike as close to the axle as possible but still be able to get to axle nut and adjusters with your tools. with the bike on the side stand, measure the free play. Find a spot in the middle of the lower chain section. Place your ruler next to the chain and pick a place you will measure, the top edge or bottom or middle of the link.. doesn't matter, just use the same spot for both ends of the measurement. Pull the chain down snug and set your ruler's zero mark on your chosen spot.. then push chain up and read the same spot. 25mm to 40mm is spec for the 919. I like the looser side of that.. 35 to 40mm. If you have less play.. then re-adjust.

Enjoy!

used rear stand.
always place stand right at (in front of) welds on arms.
chain is adjusted properly.
still have clicking (cricking).

thanks for all the help. ill mess w/ it some more tomorrow.
1

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
4manhilt is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed
 
Aquila-RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bootiful Bay Area
Posts: 7,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Is the bike Japanese ?!!? Maybe it's talking to you... "crick, crick..."

Aquila-RC51 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 09-09-2006, 08:09 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

My ex has an R1 and her bike was making the same type of sound. We checked the chain and lubed it. No joy. She had to get a new back tire anyways, so she took it to the local dealer. When they took the tire off, they found a spacer missing from the rear tire. Didn't get to see exactly where it went, but they replaced and the crick crick was gone.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats
 
Caleb_I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 209
Rep Power: 1
 
This sounds very similar to the noises my friends 919 made,, but his was louder...

I went and checked mine, earlier, and it had the slight clicking noise...

after the dealership, and a mechanic that was very well trusted checked averything on my friends bike, his reccomendations were to go back with a stock chain, as some aftermarket chains might have thicker, or larger size links... which can make a slight noise,, ifnot that then he reccomended changing sprockets and chain next time,, of course this will be the third chain, so probably about time to change sprockets as well,

I guess if your not extremely anal about cleaning the sprockets and chain often, just the mere wear and tear of sand, dirt etc.. have its way...

please re-post if you get a solution...would like to know what else is happeneing...

Caleb_I is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome