is it normal... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here

is it normal...

with my bike on the rear stand it makes a slight clicking noise while spinning the rear wheel. honestly i can not remember it ever making this noise until today after i adjusted the chain. i took the bike for a quick spin and rechecked the adjustment. everthing seems a o.k. but, it is still making a clicking noise (sounds like nothing more than the chain making contact w/ the rear sproket). i just don't remember ever noticing this before. anyone?

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4manhilt View Post
with my bike on the rear stand it makes a slight clicking noise while spinning the rear wheel. honestly i can not remember it ever making this noise until today after i adjusted the chain. i took the bike for a quick spin and rechecked the adjustment. everthing seems a o.k. but, it is still making a clicking noise (sounds like nothing more than the chain making contact w/ the rear sproket). i just don't remember ever noticing this before. anyone?
Mine - when I had it - has always done that.

post #3 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Chain possibly binding? When is the last time you cleaned and lubed it? Is it in the exact same spot on each revolution?

post #4 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Mine does that same thing... my sprocket is in much need to be replaced. Check yours out.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Now you just run around and make that clicking sound with your mouth. Hey on the upside you should be able to pick up Zimbabwe chicks with ease!

Jebus......I just derailed a thread in 4 posts.......sorry

post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
The RC?!
Mine doesn't "click".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Mine does that same thing... my sprocket is in much need to be replaced. Check yours out.
...and you're gonna ride it to Jennings?!

post #7 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Chain possibly binding? When is the last time you cleaned and lubed it? Is it in the exact same spot on each revolution?
my first thought as well. but after double checking my marks and rechecking torque on my axle nut everything seems OK. i cleaned my chain two weeks ago. and the clicking seems to be every sprocket tooth, not once a revolution. i would be shocked if i needed a new sprocket. i only have K on the bike and everything has been maintained. like i said - everything looks o.k., i just had never noticed this noise before and wanted to hear your thoughts.

mark

post #8 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
The RC?!
Mine doesn't "click".

Yes, it did. It was like a whirring kinda noise with a low noise slight clicking.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here

Quote:
Yes, it did. It was like a whirring kinda noise with a low noise slight clicking.
ahhhh... exactly... i think. i almost thought it was the bearings before i got down close.

post #10 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
The RC?!
Mine doesn't "click".

...and you're gonna ride it to Jennings?!
Since the RC was made in Japan ... it goes "CRICK".

post #11 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post

post #12 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I'm on my 4th rear tire & of all the chain adjusts, never noticed a "CRICK".
Now I'm gonna have to go check...

post #13 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm on my 4th rear tire & of all the chain adjusts, never noticed a "CRICK".
Now I'm gonna have to go check...

You go check RC now. Makee sure it no go crick crick. Crick crick is no good.

One time, I lide by lee Led Dlagon Lestaulant, and RC go Crick. I checkee de tire and all da chain, butee see no leason why it go crick crick.

post #14 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You go check RC now. Makee sure it no go crick crick. Crick crick is no good.

One time, I lide by lee Led Dlagon Lestaulant, and RC go Crick. I checkee de tire and all da chain, butee see no leason why it go crick crick.
Uh huh an den?

post #15 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's normal. More than likely what you are hearing is the chain contacting the countershaft (front) sprocket because that is louder than on the rear sprocket (this is because the chain has to travel around a tighter radius and that creates more noise). You will notice that the sound is almost non-existant right after lubing the chain, but is louder if it has been a while since lubing.

post #16 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
my first thought as well. but after double checking my marks and rechecking torque on my axle nut everything seems OK. i cleaned my chain two weeks ago. and the clicking seems to be every sprocket tooth, not once a revolution. i would be shocked if i needed a new sprocket. i only have K on the bike and everything has been maintained. like i said - everything looks o.k., i just had never noticed this noise before and wanted to hear your thoughts.

mark
Did you adjust the chain while bike was on the center stand? If so, then it's too tight. That would account for the 'crick' 'crick' sound. The bike's chain should be adjusted with the weight of the bike on the rear suspension. It can be done on the side stand, but its lame. Best is to use a rear stand or get a helper to hold bike upright. If you used a rear stand, in theory, you could also get it too tight by lifting the bike from a point too far forward of the axle. Ideally, you want to lift the bike as close to the axle as possible but still be able to get to axle nut and adjusters with your tools. with the bike on the side stand, measure the free play. Find a spot in the middle of the lower chain section. Place your ruler next to the chain and pick a place you will measure, the top edge or bottom or middle of the link.. doesn't matter, just use the same spot for both ends of the measurement. Pull the chain down snug and set your ruler's zero mark on your chosen spot.. then push chain up and read the same spot. 25mm to 40mm is spec for the 919. I like the looser side of that.. 35 to 40mm. If you have less play.. then re-adjust.

Enjoy!

Crick crick!... He he!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #17 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
put your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Did you adjust the chain while bike was on the center stand? If so, then it's too tight. That would account for the 'crick' 'crick' sound. The bike's chain should be adjusted with the weight of the bike on the rear suspension. It can be done on the side stand, but its lame. Best is to use a rear stand or get a helper to hold bike upright. If you used a rear stand, in theory, you could also get it too tight by lifting the bike from a point too far forward of the axle. Ideally, you want to lift the bike as close to the axle as possible but still be able to get to axle nut and adjusters with your tools. with the bike on the side stand, measure the free play. Find a spot in the middle of the lower chain section. Place your ruler next to the chain and pick a place you will measure, the top edge or bottom or middle of the link.. doesn't matter, just use the same spot for both ends of the measurement. Pull the chain down snug and set your ruler's zero mark on your chosen spot.. then push chain up and read the same spot. 25mm to 40mm is spec for the 919. I like the looser side of that.. 35 to 40mm. If you have less play.. then re-adjust.

Enjoy!

used rear stand.
always place stand right at (in front of) welds on arms.
chain is adjusted properly.
still have clicking (cricking).

thanks for all the help. ill mess w/ it some more tomorrow.

post #18 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Is the bike Japanese ?!!? Maybe it's talking to you... "crick, crick..."

post #19 of 20 Old 09-09-2006, 08:09 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

My ex has an R1 and her bike was making the same type of sound. We checked the chain and lubed it. No joy. She had to get a new back tire anyways, so she took it to the local dealer. When they took the tire off, they found a spacer missing from the rear tire. Didn't get to see exactly where it went, but they replaced and the crick crick was gone.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #20 of 20 Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

This sounds very similar to the noises my friends 919 made,, but his was louder...

I went and checked mine, earlier, and it had the slight clicking noise...

after the dealership, and a mechanic that was very well trusted checked averything on my friends bike, his reccomendations were to go back with a stock chain, as some aftermarket chains might have thicker, or larger size links... which can make a slight noise,, ifnot that then he reccomended changing sprockets and chain next time,, of course this will be the third chain, so probably about time to change sprockets as well,

I guess if your not extremely anal about cleaning the sprockets and chain often, just the mere wear and tear of sand, dirt etc.. have its way...

please re-post if you get a solution...would like to know what else is happeneing...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode