insurance shocker - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

insurance shocker

Went to see my agent today. Wanted to find out what insurance would be if I trade in my 02 919 for either a fz07 or fz09. Have been riding for almost 50 years. Agent told me the price would go up about $800 for the 07 and a few hundred more for the 09. I have been trading bikes frequently for years and never got this kind of response.
Was told that because I am turning 70 I am now a risk, wtf. Also told that my insurance for the two bikes I am now riding would also go up in May.
Probably not to many of you folks are my age but this is what you are looking at down the road if you continue to love riding motorcycles, any motorcycles.
Rant over.
Thank's
Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Princeps Prior

Nice. I know my brother's insurance on the Fz8 went up about a year after he owned it. They started to classify them as a Supersport since so many were being totaled out. At least that's what they told him.

post #3 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
The FZs are the current idiot hooligan squid bike of choice, and the insurance companies are noticing. They're not going to have the 'standard/naked' motorcycle rating for much longer with any major insurer. 'FZ' will soon be classed with 'anything over 600cc that has an R in the model number.'

So once again, by not appealing to idiot hooligan squids on the surface, the 919 slips under the radar....

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #4 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Aquilifer

Same thing happened when I bought my FZ07 with Progressive. $125 a year for my 919 and $800+ for the 07. Called Dairyland and it's $180. Bought an older Vmax and got a multi bike discount, $212 for both bikes. Dairyland is the best for bikes.

post #5 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktrash View Post
Went to see my agent today. Wanted to find out what insurance would be if I trade in my 02 919 for either a fz07 or fz09. Have been riding for almost 50 years. Agent told me the price would go up about $800 for the 07 and a few hundred more for the 09. I have been trading bikes frequently for years and never got this kind of response.
Was told that because I am turning 70 I am now a risk, wtf. Also told that my insurance for the two bikes I am now riding would also go up in May.
Probably not to many of you folks are my age but this is what you are looking at down the road if you continue to love riding motorcycles, any motorcycles.
Rant over.
Thank's
Jack
Oh man that stinks!
What insurance company are you dealing with?

post #6 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Pilus Posterior

Sorry to hear that. Glad to see people enjoying the better years.

I've been riding for almost 7 years now and have had some 4 or 5 different ins companies. Each time because they stopped writing policies for motorcycles. Maybe it's more of a California thing. Too many undocumented drivers I guess.

Not enough competition out there for MC ins. Probably tough for them to make a profit when it's so easy for damages to go so high.

post #7 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Robert

Garage
Do you have to have it? We don't unless financing which is why I buy clean used bikes.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #8 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

In NY you must have insurance. I have used Progressive since 04 and until now have been happy with them. I was getting a multi-bike discount but seems that this no longer the case.
Paul, I don't think Dairyland is available in NY.
When I get the actual bill in May I will use the numbers to try to find a better deal.
Looks like I will be keeping my 11 Victory Cross Country and my 919

post #9 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Robert

Garage
Quote:
In NY you must have insurance. I have used Progressive since 04 and until now have been happy with them. I was getting a multi-bike discount but seems that this no longer the case.
When I get the actual bill in May I will use the numbers to try to find a better deal.
Man, that stinks. I hate insurance companies.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #10 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I had hoped it wouldn't be Progressive because that's what I have! I'll be turning 70 in just a few years and so will be interested in what you find out with other quotes.
Being in Michigan I also got a surprise when I turned 65 and found that Medicare won't be the first in line for medical care and that drove me to add medical coverage to my bike insurance. That was also a big hit for me.

post #11 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Aquilifer

For some reason Progressive doesn't like the FZ07. Even Farm Bureau was cheaper at $430.

post #12 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Pilus Posterior

I never knew some states didn't require insurance. It actually isn't a bad idea because a bike really doesn't do much damage to cars and used bikes aren't very expensive. With national health care mandatory, you could eliminate medical insurance from property insurance.

I've always wondered why auto/bike insurance even had medical coverage if people already have medical coverage from work or ACA.

post #13 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 09:30 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Man, I pay $220 a year full coverage (roadside assist, +$6k in extra goodies) for my Tuono.

I don't think Progressive knows what kind of bike I ride and I'm not telling them!!!

I couldn't believe it when I got a quote on it over the 919 and it was like $60 difference!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 23 Old 01-14-2016, 03:37 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
I rode FZ for several years and I paid almost the same as what I am paying for my blackbird at the moment. Insurance companies do not like FZ's one bit and they might just be right.

Dead wrong
post #15 of 23 Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Semper Vigilo

I have full coverage minus medical through Progressive on the Blackbird and pay $157 a year, which includes $3000 for extras.

post #16 of 23 Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
The FZs are the current idiot hooligan squid bike of choice, and the insurance companies are noticing. They're not going to have the 'standard/naked' motorcycle rating for much longer with any major insurer. 'FZ' will soon be classed with 'anything over 600cc that has an R in the model number.'

This is exactly what is happening in the industry!

The root problem is just like everything else people cannot act right and expect others to pay for their mistakes.

What we are experiencing yet again with the insurance industry is what happens when people use their insurance to pay for their lapse of judgement or lack of skill to safely operate a vehicle regardless of whether it is on a track or public road etc. There is no personal accountability anymore and people believe that because they pay into the insurance that they are entitled to use it in any manner they see fit so there is a lot of fraud and stupid shit that gets claimed and those of us with perfect driving records and zero insurance claims still end up paying additional in premiums so others can continue to abuse the system.

Granted it goes both ways and insurance in this day & age is legalized extortion, but it does offer you some legal protections which in my opinion are more important than replacement cost portions of the policy.

At any rate (no pun intended) insurance is there to cover you in the event of an accident. Throwing your bike to the ground or into an armco with excessive speed is not an accident it is an expectation.

post #17 of 23 Old 01-14-2016, 12:12 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

It wasn't that long ago that many underwriters had a moratorium on insuring sportbikes at all. They just wouldn't do it and blacklisted a bunch of models until the AMA got involved and got some cases heard.

post #18 of 23 Old 01-15-2016, 07:28 AM
McTavish

I'm back in Ontario for a visit and got together with one of my best friends of many years.
We talked about insurance.
His costs 4 x as much as mine does back in Alberta.
Quebec is even worse if one has a full on sport bike and wants full coverage.
Even within Alberta rates vary quite a bit, one really has to shop around to get the best deal.
I agree 110 % with LDH that the PL PD aspects of insurance are more important than the fix/replace coverage of one's bike.
Fix/replace is fractions of a penny in comparison to the $$$ of what PL can do to you !

post #19 of 23 Old 03-29-2016, 06:31 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
I am happy with my State Farm, I pay about $220 per year for my 919 with full coverage, $150 ded and under and uninsured coverage.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #20 of 23 Old 03-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Batman

Im at $135 for a year....but our riding season is relatively shorter than most the nation i would assume.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I own all my bikes outright, and in Kentucky that allows me to have liability only insurance, which is dirt cheap. Yeah, if I throw one down the road it's my loss, but how many times do I want to pay for a bike that isn't worth that much to begin with, factoring the odds.

Funny, the Honda Hurricane name only lasted two years, then got switched to a CBR. Hurricane was seen by insurance companies as too risky.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #22 of 23 Old 03-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I own all my bikes outright, and in Kentucky that allows me to have liability only insurance, which is dirt cheap. Yeah, if I throw one down the road it's my loss, but how many times do I want to pay for a bike that isn't worth that much to begin with, factoring the odds. Funny, the Honda Hurricane name only lasted two years, then got switched to a CBR. Hurricane was seen by insurance companies as too risky.
True but with liability only what happens if damage is more than your limits? You can be sued beyond your limits,if you are put in hospital who pays your medical? What if the other driver is uninsured? You're screwed if you only have liability, that's why I carry full coverage full tort so if someone messes me up I can sue for my damages and to take care of my family.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #23 of 23 Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
True but with liability only what happens if damage is more than your limits? You can be sued beyond your limits,if you are put in hospital who pays your medical? What if the other driver is uninsured? You're screwed if you only have liability, that's why I carry full coverage full tort so if someone messes me up I can sue for my damages and to take care of my family.
Comprehensive and tort are two different things, and vary by state. Having comprehensive doesn't stop you from being sued beyond your liability limits.

I have medical. Why should I have it twice? If the other driver is uninsured and I am hurt, my medical will cover me. If they total my bike, well, that's the risk I take. I will pursue it in court.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode