Importing my 919 from Canada to the US - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Importing my 919 from Canada to the US

I am currently trying to import my Honda 919 from Canada to the US. The procedure involves showing a US Custum Officer an official letter from the manufacturer (Honda) stating that the vehicle complies with US safety standards.

Here is the problem: Honda Canada can only provide me certification that my motorcycle complies with canadian laws. Honda USA cannot certify that my motorcycle complies to US laws, since it was manufactured for the canadian market.

I am stuck.

Anyone with experience importing motorcycle from Canada to the US?

Thanks,

Vince

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Nine in the Sun

I havent had any experience found this on the web - maybe it will help

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...docketid=12937

l8r

post #3 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Conformity to FMVSS

Thanks for the info, but all the laws referred to in the documents relates to passenger protections (side bar, belts, etc.). I am not sure how all this applies to a motorcycle...

What I would really need is a "letter of conformity" from Honda... but they won't provide that (I had one such letter for my car, a VW).

Thanks.

post #4 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Nine in the Sun

What year 919 is it and are there any differences from the US production model that you know of?

post #5 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstr View Post
What year 919 is it and are there any differences from the US production model that you know of?
Good point, my guess; the only difference is the speedo.

post #6 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 11:40 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Why can't we just hurry up and annex Canada already? Not because we like Canada or they're good for anything, but just because we can.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #7 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
Why can't we just hurry up and annex Canada already? Not because we like Canada or they're good for anything, but just because we can.
+1 Sure sounds like it would eliminate a lot of paperwork. Of course, then people would only be able to import Cuban cigars through Mexico.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #8 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

OMG. Does this mean Sporty would become a U.S. citizen?

post #9 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

It's not like importing the Euro BMWs. The Germans are smart and made them CA legal which meet all states' requirements. That enables you to bike tour Europe without paying for a rental! Well except that initial sticker shock.

You should just sell it ehhh and buy one here.

post #10 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Nine in the Sun

I was gonna suggest the same thing - Sell it there then get a sexy red one here ...
Otherwise from what I have found you would have to go through a registered importer. According to Honda they dont even handle the letter of conformity for two years now. here is a list of importers call then see whats cheaper (suggestion above or paying to get it imported)

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t01122006.html

post #11 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

I am currently trying to find an importer... I'll keep you informed of the procedure and costs involved...

Thanks for info,

Vince

post #12 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

ok... stupid question????
why not ride the bike across the border, instead of importing???
It's not like Max & gang have a hard time riding down.

post #13 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Only if it's loaded and new is it worth importing. If you do put a MPH sticker on the metric speedo. Then you can nonchalantly brag about going 200!

post #14 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
ok... stupid question????
why not ride the bike across the border, instead of importing???
It's not like Max & gang have a hard time riding down.
I nevertheless need to import it to be able to register and title it in the US (I am moving to Virginia by the way).

post #15 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Only if it's loaded and new is it worth importing. If you do put a MPH sticker on the metric speedo. Then you can nonchalantly brag about going 200!
200 is routine highway passing speed. What about 250+??

post #16 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Nine in the Sun

What year is it? -- Got any pics...

post #17 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

I thought about importing my race\track bike this way which is a little different because it not street legal therefore not required to meet emissions standards for US. Still they wanted a title of ownership from the CAN owner, which as with most race bikes it had never been licensed and the title was long gone since i would be the 3rd owner. so that pretty much put a stop on improting it. I remember the primary concern having to be with emissions... i believe they are different up in CAN than here.

Honestly i don't think it's worth it when you can buy 'em here used\new unless of course you're getting a once in a life time kick ass deal on one up there.

post #18 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

By the way, my 919 is a 2003 that I bought new. It is barely used...

post #19 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Wrench wannabe

Why take your bike south? If you ride it down there one of the yall's will try and jack it. Keep here up north where both you and your bike will be safe

post #20 of 31 Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I'd have a talk with a Canadian dealer who's close to the border, and to a customs broker in the USA. Scavenging forms and pamphlets off the net won't give you the whole picture.

post #21 of 31 Old 12-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Tired of Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns900f View Post
Why take your bike south? If you ride it down there one of the yall's will try and jack it. Keep here up north where both you and your bike will be safe
And deffinitely don't ride it down to here to Florida. The area is thick with Canadians (at least for a few more months). You'll think your back up north.

post #22 of 31 Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 PM
919>food>beer

haha whats that, hallendale/hollywood, i see more Ontario plates than I see Fla plates, not to mention the driving has gotten 100x's worse, and its always bad down here...

post #23 of 31 Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

post #24 of 31 Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, I wasn't successfull in importing my Honda from Canada to the US. Basically, the bike need to be certified that it conform to US security and emission laws, and either Honda can do that or a certified importer.

The former (Honda) is really not helpful, canadian and american custumer services throwing the ball to each other (can. side cannot certify on US laws, and US side cannot comment on can. motorcycle). This is very deceiving from Honda. I imported a car (NOT a Honda) when moving in, an the manifacturer just gave me a letter stating that the speedmeter and other basic thing needed attentions.

The latter are not really interested by this business, to much trouble for what I am willing to pay (certainly not 4000USD for a new certification).

So what option do I have? I will drive back my loved 919 to Canada, and sell it there (any interested, 15K km 2003, like new, will sell in Quebec as soon as the weather allows the drive up north). Then buy a new motorcycle in the US. I would love a Honda, but I don't want to get trough all this again.

Anybody tried those new Ducati Sport 1000? Anyway, dealer will need to provide certifications for both Canada and US!!!

Thanks for all your comments, if anybody find a trick in the next few months, please leave a message here.

Regards,

Vince

post #25 of 31 Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 AM

you should keep it down here... "transfer" the registration to one of your mates or a family member in canada, and just have them mail you the new plates, stickers etc.

post #26 of 31 Old 01-19-2007, 08:02 AM

heres another idea... "transfer" the title to a mate... you keep the bike. take it apart and import it as "parts".

post #27 of 31 Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragknee View Post
import it as "parts".
This doesn't work when you need to answer "license, registration, and insurance?"

vroy,
Now you have a good excuse to upgrade your ride. I dream of going to Europe buying a US certified Ducati ST3 and touring it everywhere before shipping it home... Adding up what that trip would cost is so sobering, so instead I hop on my awesome 919 fill up the tank and point it towards the twisties.

post #28 of 31 Old 01-19-2007, 03:50 PM

dont get pulled over

there has to be some way that you can register a frame that you buy... i mean think of all these choppers that are built in someones shop. they have to be able to register them somehow...

another idea is to sell it to someone here no title, just a bill of sale. then buy it back from them. it may be possible to register a bike like that as well???

post #29 of 31 Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Did you consider having it brough in through an authorized importer?

post #30 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I have called each and every authorized importer in Virginia, and some in Maryland. Didnt find any help on that side. If anybody can refer me to an importer which whom they have made that kind of business before, that would be much appreciated.

I also thought about keeping the bike registered in Canada, and riding it down here with a Quebec plate. The only problem then is that way I can't insure it! aaarg.

Vince

post #31 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragknee View Post
there has to be some way that you can register a frame that you buy... i mean think of all these choppers that are built in someones shop. they have to be able to register them somehow...
You should check out the Cycle World article about registering the custom v-twin bike they built. It was a nightmare, a headache, and just plain stupid. The red tape any state's DMV forces you to endure is absolutely ridiculous. I understand that they don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry to be out there riding god knows what contraption they cooked up in their machine shed, but there should be a reasonable method of registering imported or custom bikes.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode