Idle issues - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Idle issues

Hey Guys,

At idle my bike doesn't seem to run very smooth. I would think that it should sound like a smooth hum, but it sounds like ba bum ba bum ba bum. Sorry, that's the best I can describe it. Right now I have Sato exhausts and a power commander, which I believe has the proper map since I bought it from Dan Kyle, (I really don't know anything about the Power Commander) and I did the flapper mod. I bought the bike about two weeks ago and it was completely stock and hadn't been ridden since 2003. (1600km) Even though the idle doesn't sound like I think it should, the bike runs very good. Is there problem with the bike, or is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags
Hey Guys,

At idle my bike doesn't seem to run very smooth. I would think that it should sound like a smooth hum, but it sounds like ba bum ba bum ba bum. Sorry, that's the best I can describe it. Right now I have Sato exhausts and a power commander, which I believe has the proper map since I bought it from Dan Kyle, (I really don't know anything about the Power Commander) and I did the flapper mod. I bought the bike about two weeks ago and it was completely stock and hadn't been ridden since 2003. (1600km) Even though the idle doesn't sound like I think it should, the bike runs very good. Is there problem with the bike, or is this normal?
What kind of motorcycle is this? I assume you have a 9er? Does it smooth out a bit once it's fully warmed and has been ridden? Mine runs exactly the same til its fully warmed.. and I mean warmed and ridden a few miles.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #3 of 14 Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Idle issues

Yes it is a CB 900/919. When the bike is cold, the sound definitely is more pronounced, but at stop lights it still isn't a nice smooth hum.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

The niner always had a slightly lumpy idle, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

just for s&g's... throw in a new set of plugs???
...maybe ya got a plug w/ wrong gap or high resistance.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-17-2006, 01:30 PM
MidTN9er

Mine hovers up and down at idle around 900 - 1100rpm. It's always done that, especially when it was cold. After a good warm up, it was less noticeable by ear, but you could still see the gauge bumping.

post #7 of 14 Old 05-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Immune

I've also noticed that my idle goes up and down according to electrical needs. If I'm sitting at a light, and the fan goes on, or a blinker is on, the idle will increase, sometimes as high as 1400 or 1500. I guess this happens so that the charging is accomodated.

post #8 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Tirone

I just replaced the plugs, correct gap, stock recomendation, and it still idles rough. Not crazy rough, just bouncy. I wish I had a brand new 919 to compare it to, but I'll just hope it's normal.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I just walked to the parking lot and took a short video of my 919 idling. Is this what your bike is doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKfFxql_f5M

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Le So Cal Troll

dang u guys idle your bikes high... i have my idle set down to like 800-900 rpms.... but like everyone else, its a little lumpy... just like in the vid above... typical idle sound.

post #11 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I don't know the exact number, but I think it recommends between 1,200 and 1,300 RPM idle.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I just walked to the parking lot and took a short video of my 919 idling. Is this what your bike is doing?

YouTube - 919 Idle
Yep. Your'se sounds more dramatic at the pipes, but the needle looks the same.

Page 1-5 of the service manual calls for 1200 +/- 100 rpm idle. Cold or warm? IMO my bike has too strong of engine braking when cold. I just put new plugs and still idles twitchy. Finally back to OEM brakes though.

post #13 of 14 Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I set idle when warm. In the video, the bike is still warm. I rode it to eat lunch, then filmed this about 15 minutes after getting back.

post #14 of 14 Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm in Calgary too.
I have Yosh TRSs and a PCIII.
It has been custom mapped, and idles smooth.
When I ran LordDuckHunters v-4 Moriwaki based map it ran very well and idled nicely.

Have you synchronized your PCIII to your ECU ?
If not, that could be at least part of the problem.

Which Dan Kyle map ?
If it is his 2002 map that was based on the original large bore Satos, it is a max power mapping that is too rich for normal street riding.
Download the map to your laptop or PC.
Look at the notes.
If you see A/F comments about low/mid/high and full and numbers from 12.7 to 12.9, then you have the rich max power type map.
Worse yet, that dyno work was done at sea level. We are at 3500 ft. The ECU absolute air pressure corrections for air density are not perfect once you get too far away from the altitude the dyno work was done. (I think that intake flow inertia vs inlet friction losses is part of why this is.)LordDuckHunter has commented in the past, that 4000 ft altitude difference is the limit from dyno work to useage work, if you want sharp fueling.

You may have got a PCIII with nothing more than their standard PCIII map in it, which is not that good.

Do you have access to a laptop or PC?
Are you familiar with this stuff ?
If you want help, PM me, and you can come to my house and I can help you with it.
If you want LDH's very good map, I have it.
If you want a copy of the custom map that Ben Wheeler at Redline in Calgary did for me, just say so. It's free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode