I went for a ride. The 16 tooth stays - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 09-06-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Al

I went for a ride. The 16 tooth stays

Yesterday, I went for a ride with a few friends on various bikes. I never intended or wanted it be be a race or even a fast blast, but some ways down the road, I got stuck behind a guy in a VTwin 1000cc, no names or brands just incase, but it had different exhaust from standard... The guy was admittedly a little larger than me and was fast in a straight line but with me stuck in line behind him, we were dropping back from the rest of the guys each time a tight'ish corner jumped out infront of us. I watched his style, having never ridden with him before and when the moment came I rode right around the outside of him while apexing a corner. It wasn't overly tight and I only chopped down into 5th making the overtaking a dignified exercise but the corner was quite long and really opened up onto a nice straight and when the guy saw me passing him he tried to speed up on the exit, but I had the momentum though the corner and knew he couldn't do it. Once we exitied the corner proper, I flicked it back up into top and he opened his throttle and I could hear his engine starting to really rev as he changed up. He must have been in about 3rd or 4th gear. I merely wacked opened the throttle in top and no matter how hard he tried, I pulled away from him with what I called comfortable ease. I got up to about 170 kph (about 105mph) before I looked back in the mirror and saw him maybe 10 to 15 bike lengths back and still trying. By this time the rest of the gang were right infront of me so I let go the throttle and settled back into formation...

Guys, this was the first time I had had chance to varify the huge pulling power of the 919 against another bike in the same league. I am drop jawed (is that what ya call it?) at how much this bike can pull in top gear. I owned a VTR-1000 before this and when I first got on the 919 and rolled it on even from brand new, I knew the VTR was no match for top gear roll-on. I just never expected to own a 4 cyl bike with only 100 plus hp that could perform like this bike. Of course the VTwin I matched against yesterday was not a VTR, but it too just couldn't match the 919 and had a reputation for being a bit faster then a VTR. I absolutely love this bike.

That was the plus side of the ride. The minus side was the tyres...

As I said, I didn't want a race,, and,, I didn't get one but we did scoot along at some reasonable speeds though thum thur hills. I have the standard Bridgestone BT56's on and found out just how far they can be pushed.

While the 56's offer good bite on friendly riding, both my brother and especially me, found that they have their limits. On 2 ocassions I got the front tyre to drift exiting tight corners and once entering a corner. This was quite scary given the speed we we going at and the fact that the 919 was quite well leaned over at the time. The drift when I came into the corner was more or less terrifying as I was pretty near my limt and I simply took a deep breath in. The handebars felt like they wanted to fold up on my here, but a quick flick of the brakes luckliy fixed things. Once or twice too, I found the rear ryre wanted to try to step out from under me mid corner, once again at good speed and lean angle. I didn't crap myself as it was a predictable movement but I was still not amused. The single scariest moment was going through a wet patch on a corner. I saw it, straightened up, went through, and re opened the throttle and the bike went a little sideways then bit again. CAREFUL as she goes...!!!

Now I know how far to go... Afterall, I only wanted a scoot over the hill and back...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great story CeeBee. Its funny how much people underestimate the 9'er. Its not the fastest out there, but no slouch either.

Way to represent!

post #3 of 17 Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

lol... great story... i hadda "squid" on his cbr600rr tonight on my way home from work found out that "ugly naked" thing was really really fasy compaired to his....

post #4 of 17 Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

p.s. michelin pilots fix that whole "front end drift" thing nicely... lol

post #5 of 17 Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

The Niner is an underestimated tool! I miss Kristens' old bike... It should be called hers' as I didn't keep it as long as I should have!

Lex Talionis
post #6 of 17 Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I went through a mountain ride about 30 minutes from my house, and had a Katana follow me to the mountain, and then passed me right before entering the mountain. I followed him through and he was using poor lines and not very smooth.

When we got to the end I told him I was turning around and redoing the mountain. He said he was going to follow me and my friend. By the first turn we had a gap and coming out of the second turn we could barely see his headlight. By turn 3 there was never a sign of him again.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #7 of 17 Old 09-06-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Al

Actually guys, what I meant to say was that the 17 tooth front sprocket I ordered from the dealer can take a backseat to the standard 16 toother. Yesterday showed me too much of the 919's true nature to want to change it just yet. Not only is it a great easy bike to ride around town but out on the open twisties stuff it has the heart of a former champion,, if only a little tamer. I was about to post this little addon to my main post this morning but guess what..!!! The inner circle of the gang pulled up while I was typing and we all went for another squirt down the road... Man, what a great weekend it's been...

I phoned the dealer on Friday and he said the sprocket supplier had run out of those particular units. This of course was a clear message from the 919 gods, not to do it just yet. Hahahahaha...!!! I've seen the light.

I will have to, though, do a little homework about the tyres. maybe Mich's,, maybe the new Bridgie BT016 multi compound, I don't know just yet...

Well it's dinner time now, so I will eat and settle in for the next round of World Superbikes on later tonight, our time... It's been a while since I had a smile on my face like the one I'm wearing right now.... Ahhhhhhh...!!!

post #8 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 02:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think the AVERAGE rider, guys like most of us here, is a bit faster on a 919 than a 600 Race Rep. Suspention upgrades help. Premium tires, a must. The 919 must be ridden with finess. I think a lot of the so called "frame flex" is someone putting too much muscle into turning. The 919 does a pretty good job of coming out of a corner.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Mine still holds it own with a 17T and less freeway buzz.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda Addict

I ran a 17t for a few months. The only change I actually appreciated was the lower rpm/vibes cruising at hiway speeds (70-80mph). Better fuel mileage was also a benefit. But it wasn't a huge difference. Some say that the difference in acceleration is negligible but I have to disagree.

Changed back to the 16t and the personality came back. Yeah, it revs a bit more cruising down the hiway but the vibes have been counteracted by Renthals and keeping a close eye on chain adjustment.

Just can't beat that beckoned call feeling of torque with a simple twist o the wrist!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have had many different 600 stop beside me at a red light. They all want to show me how fast their bikes will go. I am always impressed when I look in my mirror. As for the un-named v-twin, I think I know the one you are talking about and they aren't very quick at all. I have talked to a couple of guys with the Buells and they are even disappointed with their performance.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Al

A few things I have found about the 919...

If you take a good line into a tight corner, line yourself up for that apex, you can turn on the throttle just before you apex and have the back end loaded up by the time you actually apex and begin to exit. You get a huge and safe grippy feeling drive out of the corner. I know we all need to get the entry into a corner just right on any bike but many bikes are maybe more seemingly forgiving going into a corner and many riders think they can go straight into a corner and kind of undercut the corner and sneak around the inside and they lose their momentum out of it. I found this pre-apex throttle to be effective on the VTR with its reasonably good off the mark punch. Also you don't have to use great handfuls of throttle to actually get moving out of a corner. The 919 has more kick than the VTR and this style suits it even more. It's suspension is however, a little softer but set up correctly it does soak up many mid corner bumps and makes me feel very confident that no mid corner incident like bumps or small holes, will upset your line too much.

The other thing I have found is with the brakes. They give me a really good feel or reliablilty going into even the very tightest corners. They don't appear to want to stand the bike up if you have to use them inside the corner either, unlike the VTR. Since I put on the braided lines, they have gone from great brakes to hugely inspiring. The rear brake can lock up quite easily, "if" you want them to, but since you never want them to, you can use their power to steady the back end up going into corners.

My ride over the weekend revealed quite a few things I never expected to see in the 919. I bought it for its upright comfort and ease of riding, to get away from the sporty type of ride which I have loved so much in the past. I'm not getting any younger and those boy racer days have gone. Or have they...??? It is quite a capable bike IF ridden correctly. Maybe you guys have pushed your even more and maybe there's more in store for me yet,, although I don't really want to go much faster than the other day,, AND,, with better tyres, I am sure this will become a great all-ounder type of bike for me...

My brother, who also has a 919, shares my opinions to almost the exact same degree, expect he says he can't quite get that pre-apex throttle-on thing just right. I don't want to push him into it as this style of cornering is not everyones cup of tea and can be a little unnerving...

post #13 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM

I was literally just about to put the 17t on my 919, when I read this. I'm looking for a way to correct the indicated speed, and drop a few RPM's on long cruises. I average about 42mpg, so that's not an issue. I already run the Renthal bars (with bar-end mirrors), so no real vibration. Is there another way to correct the speedometer that is cost effective?

post #14 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Al

I heard or read somewhere that maybe a speedo can be recalibrated, electronically. It seems to make sense,, that is if the speedo is electronically driven. If it can be done, I would say its a trip to the dyno. That may not be exactly economically viable though. Those things are hired out at weeks pay per hour rates, well almost,, aren't they...???

post #15 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee919 View Post
Yesterday, I went for a ride with a few friends on various bikes. I never intended or wanted it be be a race or even a fast blast, but some ways down the road, I got stuck behind a guy in a VTwin 1000cc, no names or brands just incase, but it had different exhaust from standard... The guy was admittedly a little larger than me and was fast in a straight line but with me stuck in line behind him, we were dropping back from the rest of the guys each time a tight'ish corner jumped out infront of us. I watched his style, having never ridden with him before and when the moment came I rode right around the outside of him while apexing a corner. It wasn't overly tight and I only chopped down into 5th making the overtaking a dignified exercise but the corner was quite long and really opened up onto a nice straight and when the guy saw me passing him he tried to speed up on the exit, but I had the momentum though the corner and knew he couldn't do it. Once we exitied the corner proper, I flicked it back up into top and he opened his throttle and I could hear his engine starting to really rev as he changed up. He must have been in about 3rd or 4th gear. I merely wacked opened the throttle in top and no matter how hard he tried, I pulled away from him with what I called comfortable ease. I got up to about 170 kph (about 105mph) before I looked back in the mirror and saw him maybe 10 to 15 bike lengths back and still trying. By this time the rest of the gang were right infront of me so I let go the throttle and settled back into formation...

Guys, this was the first time I had had chance to varify the huge pulling power of the 919 against another bike in the same league. I am drop jawed (is that what ya call it?) at how much this bike can pull in top gear. I owned a VTR-1000 before this and when I first got on the 919 and rolled it on even from brand new, I knew the VTR was no match for top gear roll-on. I just never expected to own a 4 cyl bike with only 100 plus hp that could perform like this bike. Of course the VTwin I matched against yesterday was not a VTR, but it too just couldn't match the 919 and had a reputation for being a bit faster then a VTR. I absolutely love this bike.

That was the plus side of the ride. The minus side was the tyres...

As I said, I didn't want a race,, and,, I didn't get one but we did scoot along at some reasonable speeds though thum thur hills. I have the standard Bridgestone BT56's on and found out just how far they can be pushed.

While the 56's offer good bite on friendly riding, both my brother and especially me, found that they have their limits. On 2 ocassions I got the front tyre to drift exiting tight corners and once entering a corner. This was quite scary given the speed we we going at and the fact that the 919 was quite well leaned over at the time. The drift when I came into the corner was more or less terrifying as I was pretty near my limt and I simply took a deep breath in. The handebars felt like they wanted to fold up on my here, but a quick flick of the brakes luckliy fixed things. Once or twice too, I found the rear ryre wanted to try to step out from under me mid corner, once again at good speed and lean angle. I didn't crap myself as it was a predictable movement but I was still not amused. The single scariest moment was going through a wet patch on a corner. I saw it, straightened up, went through, and re opened the throttle and the bike went a little sideways then bit again. CAREFUL as she goes...!!!

Now I know how far to go... Afterall, I only wanted a scoot over the hill and back...
I'm gonna guess that you were up against a Suzuki SV1000, either that or a Duc. My wife has an 03 SV1000 with a full Yoshi on it. It's quick but it's still a V-twin and V-twins, epecially the SV's, make power in the low to medium range. Off the line the SV is faster but given enough room the 919 will pass right by.

I got no time for the jibba-jabba. - Mr. T
post #16 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Baddaddy View Post
I was literally just about to put the 17t on my 919, when I read this. I'm looking for a way to correct the indicated speed, and drop a few RPM's on long cruises. I average about 42mpg, so that's not an issue. I already run the Renthal bars (with bar-end mirrors), so no real vibration. Is there another way to correct the speedometer that is cost effective?
Just get a GPS. They are accuate, useful, and the motorcycles ones (zumo) track your fuel usage. Cost Effective they are not.

I got no time for the jibba-jabba. - Mr. T
post #17 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPDSQD View Post
I'm gonna guess that you were up against a Suzuki SV1000, either that or a Duc. My wife has an 03 SV1000 with a full Yoshi on it. It's quick but it's still a V-twin and V-twins, epecially the SV's, make power in the low to medium range. Off the line the SV is faster but given enough room the 919 will pass right by.
Yeah, you're on the right track... He changed down a few gears going into the corner and I went in rather lazily but never really slowed down a lot, as per usual on a corner of that nature. I was still in 5th where he would have been in 3rd or 4th, because as he accelerated I heard at least 2 changes up as I passed him and it was still revving up a little higher than it would sound in top but by this time I was too far infront to hear it much more. I honestly thought he wouldn't mind me cruising on by but I was wrong, so I just carried the speed out of the corner and opened it a little chucked it into top and eased on by...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode