I need a hollow axle for the 919..!!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Al

I need a hollow axle for the 919..!!!!

While I had the VTR-1000 I made a rear axle stand which had a stainless steel pin that slid through the stand then through the hollow axle and back through the other side of the stand. Of course now I have the 919,, but it has a solid axle. Trying to get any info from a Honda parts dealer was like trying to get a goose to lay golden eggs. The guy simply talked around the subject asking me why, why, why.... All I want to know is... Is there another Honda (or any other brand of bike) that has a hollow axle the same size. I mean - an axle is an axle is an axle. I saw a CBR1000R, a Blackbird, a VFR-800 and other Hondas on the showroom floor all with hollow axles but the guy behind the counter just would not play ball with me. He wouldn't check their sizes or availability,, stating that I can't just place any axle in there... I gave up and snarled at him and walked out in the end... The size is approx 18mm dia thread and about 310mm long (sorry I don't know what that is in imperial)...

If it is the same size,, it will fit, and I wont have to buy another stand. I would rather stick to the stand I made because I don't trust those stands with the L brackets with rubber on them which sit beneath the swingarm as the bike can still wobble on the thing and possible tip over. I already had then happen to me and no way am I going to risk that again...

Cheers...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Do a search for the stand made by PHOBMAN, a simple analog of the standard centerstand that engages the stock centerstand ears with a pin. It not only facilitates rear end maintenance including wheel, shock, or swingarm removal, all of which an axle stand precludes, and since it's positively secured cannot slip and drop the bike. Another advantage is it's nearer to the center of the bike, so getting the front wheel off the ground is simply a matter of placing a bottle or automotive scissor jack under the header and jacking it up slightly -- the load is much less than with a swingarm stand. This, of course, assumes there isn't a charcoal cannister already bolted to the ears.
If you already made one stand, then you shouldn't have a problem modifying it for this application or making another.
You could also get the OEM or SW Motech centerstand which stays with the bike. I have the OEM one which is a pain to install but always there when you need it, and absolutely will not drag regardless of how far you lean in a corner.
As for the parts guys being unable to help you with the axle, I'm not surprised at all -- they don't have access to the kind of information necessary to order an axle that they can guarantee will slip right in and tighten down properly, so won't go out on a limb and say "oh yeah, a blitzfonker 600 axle would be just right!" It's up to you to tell them the part you need, which would involve going to a breaker and measuring axles until you find one that will work.
Anyway, there you have it.
By the way, the approximate height from the ground to the middle of the holes in the centerstand ears with the rear wheel off the ground is 270mm. You can take all the other measurements from your bike.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

600 F4I has a hollow axle that works.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee919 View Post
...I don't trust those stands with the L brackets with rubber on them which sit beneath the swingarm as the bike can still wobble on the thing and possible tip over. I already had then happen to me and no way am I going to risk that again...

Cheers...
I have T-rex stands and I had that happen to me once, while I was washing the bike while it was still on the rear stand....skeered the sheit out me, luckily I caught it. Chain lube on the underside of the swingarm (on the chain side) made the rubber slippery and since the swingarm tapers in, it slid off. I clean the underside of the swingarm now b4 I put it on the stand.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Aquilifer

that's one more reason NOT to lube your chain !

ain't i a stinker?

post #6 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
600 F4I has a hollow axle that works.
+1 . . .got one on my 919.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Centurion

Titto...

post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Al

Hey guys, thanks for the replies...

I did consider a centre stand but that brought back memories of the days when they scraped the ground even if you just thought of leaning into a corner,, but since I read robtharalson's reply and you said... "and absolutely will not drag regardless of how far you lean in a corner.",, I am seriously now thinking of that alternative because that was the only thing stopping me. I have owned Kawasaki Z1-R,, Z1000, Suzuki GS1000 GSX1100, Katanas etc, many moons ago and man those things ground metal on any corner. Scared the living daylights out of me. Once the more modern type of bike began to emerge and had no centre stand,, I never missed them. Now I've come full circle and gone back to the upright bike and now I would like a stand...

I am also going to head into a bunch or bike wreckers on Saturday and take my axle with me to measure it up against any they have. One guy in particular says he has a whole bunch of axles from all sorts of Hondas, so this may well be the meal ticket I've been waiting for. If nothing comes of it, then it's a phonecall to maybe order a centre stand...

Much thanks...

post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Finally, photographic proof!

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13344
In the photo 3 up from the end, you can see nemo's toe on the ground, the peg just barely off the ground, and back near the passenger peg the pedal for the centerstand quite a distance from the ground. In fact the sidestand looks closer to scraping than the centerstand. I knew it wouldn't drag, but now see how much clearance there actually is.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Al

Well. I went into the wreckers and sorted through the axles and found one from an old 900F. Fits like a silk glove. Now I can once again use my axle stand. I plan to look at a centre stand too, in time. Next however, comes braided lines...

post #11 of 11 Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee919 View Post
Next comes braided lines...
I don't know how much braided lines cost down under, but this is worth considering:
http://www.gandjaircraft.net/index-4.html

They make all their lines custom at the time of the order and the normal turnaround time is a couple hours. They have the pattern for the 919, and charge about 70 USD for a complete set including three lines, a longer banjo bolt for the master cylinder and all necessary sealing washers.
For a picture of the colors available go to:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9638
The picture is at the bottom of the first page.

I looked up shipping charges to NZ and the least expensive is US postal service at a flat rate of 12 USD, which would come to a total of 111.50 NZD. If the prices are competitive and you are interested in this let me know and I can give you a hand with ordering and shipping.

Rob

------- Rob --------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode