I need a battery recommendation - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 11-02-2015, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I need a battery recommendation

I will be leaving my motorcycle in storage for a few months up to a year. My current lead acid battery is junk, won't hold a charge after sitting for a couple weeks, and is leaking a little. I don't need a $200 battery but I was looking at either a gel YTZ10S from ebay $35 or a lithium Ballistic 8 cell $160. I do like how the lithium batteries in the power tools I have last for months without use, and seem to have not lost any charge. And I don't have any experience with gel batteries. I don't know how often the bike will be started when it is in storage and I can't keep a tender on the battery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-02-2015, 07:22 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Damn! I'd let you borrow my pressure tester if we were closer!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #3 of 22 Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Oops, forgive me. My reply was to another thread.

Carry on and good luck.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #4 of 22 Old 11-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Immune

I have had this guy for a couple of months and have no complaints what so ever. Bike starts almost instantly after you hit the start button.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

post #5 of 22 Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I have had one of these for 52K miles and still going strong. Could just be pure luck, but I would buy again

YTZ10S-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

post #6 of 22 Old 11-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I'd suggest pulling the battery, coating the cable ends with vaseline or dielectric grease to prevent them from corroding while the battery's out, and buying the replacement battery only when you're ready to come back to it. Failing that, don't put the new battery in the bike, keep it inside and put the new battery on a tender inside in some convenient location.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #7 of 22 Old 11-03-2015, 03:56 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
I'd suggest pulling the battery, coating the cable ends with vaseline or dielectric grease to prevent them from corroding while the battery's out, and buying the replacement battery only when you're ready to come back to it. Failing that, don't put the new battery in the bike, keep it inside and put the new battery on a tender inside in some convenient location.
+1

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 22 Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Princeps Prior

I've been using a cheap ytz10s from eBay for two years without issues

post #9 of 22 Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
^THIS^. The only thing a battery can do in a bike that is sitting is go bad. Get a decent battery when you are ready to ride again.

And I would recommend staying away from cheap batteries. I had one nearly explode in my Buell after just 2 weeks of use. It swelled up a while bunch and got REALLY hot. And when I bought the 599 it had a cheap Bikemaster AGM in it that wouldn't hold a charge for anything. I won't buy anything but Yuasa from now on.

post #10 of 22 Old 11-03-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I did want to have the bike started to keep everything fresh and warmed up so the liquids don't accumulate moisture. I will be keeping the bike at a buddy's, so he can start it up once in a while, I just don't know the frequency as to when this will be done. So I would like to keep a battery in the bike. Some research I've done mentions the longevity of lithium batteries, but with some cautions during jumping/charging/trickle charging. Basically stay away from trickle chargers that have a desulfation function or you will have a chance at lighting that flame under your ass.

post #11 of 22 Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by docter911 View Post
I did want to have the bike started to keep everything fresh and warmed up so the liquids don't accumulate moisture. I will be keeping the bike at a buddy's, so he can start it up once in a while, I just don't know the frequency as to when this will be done. So I would like to keep a battery in the bike. Some research I've done mentions the longevity of lithium batteries, but with some cautions during jumping/charging/trickle charging. Basically stay away from trickle chargers that have a desulfation function or you will have a chance at lighting that flame under your ass.
Unless your buddy is going to be RIDING the bike and getting it good and hot, I would recommend against the occasional "start-up." If you put good fuel stabilizer in it, it should start right up after a year.

You definitely want to get the oil up to full operating temp every time you start the bike. Not doing so circulates a lot of acids, un-burnt gas, and condensation through your motor, which is WAY worse for the aluminum than just letting it sit.

post #12 of 22 Old 11-03-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
Unless your buddy is going to be RIDING the bike and getting it good and hot, I would recommend against the occasional "start-up." If you put good fuel stabilizer in it, it should start right up after a year.

You definitely want to get the oil up to full operating temp every time you start the bike. Not doing so circulates a lot of acids, un-burnt gas, and condensation through your motor, which is WAY worse for the aluminum than just letting it sit.
I've warmed up the bike until the fan turned on, using that as verification that everything was at operating temperature.

post #13 of 22 Old 11-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by docter911 View Post
I've warmed up the bike until the fan turned on, using that as verification that everything was at operating temperature.
That's definitely good and hot on a 919. How long does that take at idle?

post #14 of 22 Old 11-04-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm not sure because I usually leave it and go do something else before coming back to the bike. I'll rev it a bit, keep the rpms at a steady low and a steady high, then let it idle.

post #15 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Princeps Prior

Buy some heated gear. Problem solved..

post #16 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm going into the Air Force and I'm pretty sure I won't be allowed to ride my motorcycle during tech school or have time for it.

post #17 of 22 Old 03-20-2016, 04:28 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have had one of these for 52K miles and still going strong. Could just be pure luck, but I would buy again

YTZ10S-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com
I ordered this same battery online from same source on Friday and it was on my door step the very next day. BM's ad said original price: $147.99 on sale for $54.95 with free shipping. Unless this battery turns out to be short-lived, I'm thinking I got a pretty good deal.

post #18 of 22 Old 03-20-2016, 01:35 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

There's an ac Delco on Amazon for a direct replacement of the original. Sometimes on sale for less but at ~$50 it's a great deal. Acid comes separate so shelf life is great.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #19 of 22 Old 03-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
I ordered this same battery online from same source on Friday and it was on my door step the very next day. BM's ad said original price: $147.99 on sale for $54.95 with free shipping. Unless this battery turns out to be short-lived, I'm thinking I got a pretty good deal.
I think I ended up getting 60K miles out of that battery. I am on a $29 AC Delco now, but will most likely get another of these in the next year to have a spare on the shelf. Hope you have good luck with yours too!

post #20 of 22 Old 03-20-2016, 03:12 PM
919>food>beer

I spent 45 bucks on a batteryminder 1510 and it has brought 4 batteries back from the dead to work again. One was at 2 volts and I couldn't get it to charge with anything else.

post #21 of 22 Old 03-21-2016, 04:05 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I think I ended up getting 60K miles out of that battery. I am on a $29 AC Delco now, but will most likely get another of these in the next year to have a spare on the shelf. Hope you have good luck with yours too!
Yea Mike, me too. Is the AC Delco an AGM or a flooded type? Either way, it sounds like a great deal if you get decent life out of it.

post #22 of 22 Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
Yea Mike, me too. Is the AC Delco an AGM or a flooded type? Either way, it sounds like a great deal if you get decent life out of it.
I think its a flooded type. You have to add the acid to it, which was really easy to do and the bike fired right up with no charging needed. Still a little uneasy, maybe because of the price. No worries though. I like to keep a backup on the shelf anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode