I Miss My 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I Miss My 919

So, it's been in the single digits here in Lexington for the past week or two and I just miss the 919. So much so that I went to the storage place the other day just to look at it and sit on it for a while. I've even tried buying motorcycle stuff i.e. a tail bag and some new gloves, but that hasn't quelled my loneliness.

What are you all doing to subside the agony of winter months?

Lately, I've been watching the Long Way Round/Long Way Down/ Race to Dakar to get my motorcycle fix, but since I've seen them half-a-dozen times already it's not having the effect I'm looking for...

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
So, it's been in the single digits here in Lexington for the past week or two and I just miss the 919. So much so that I went to the storage place the other day just to look at it and sit on it for a while. I've even tried buying motorcycle stuff i.e. a tail bag and some new gloves, but that hasn't quelled my loneliness.

What are you all doing to subside the agony of winter months?

Lately, I've been watching the Long Way Round/Long Way Down/ Race to Dakar to get my motorcycle fix, but since I've seen them half-a-dozen times already it's not having the effect I'm looking for...
Praying for Global Warming??

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Allons-y!

Garage
I'll go out in the garage and fire up the 9er and get her good and warm. Run her through the gears and make sure everything is ticking over just fine. Then, I uncover Super Cub and start that up. After Super Cub is warmed up, I'll shut them both off, cry a little, then go back inside. Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt is what I usually watch to cure my ailment.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #4 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 05:07 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

1: Build a house with a walk out basement, and keep them in the house. Then you can work on them all winter where it's warm. My 919 has a crank case full of fresh oil and is so clean, from 5 feet away it looks like it just rolled off the line. Plus, you can sit on it while you watch your movies.

2: Get a dirtbike. I was a hero (in my own little mind) getting sideways in the snow on my KTM 200.

I'll bet that you'll be back on it by the middle of Feb.

post #5 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

work on/tinker with the bike. watch on any sunday once in a while. watch the Dakar every day right now but that's only a few minutes of motorcycles each day. research motorcycle cycle stuff on the web (stuff I want to buy, or do to or with the bike)

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #6 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 05:50 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. Make this winter a blur and sober up around springtime.

post #7 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Tirone

My 919 sits in my garage, between where I park the car and the interior door to the house. I confess that I often give it a pat while passing by, just to let it know I still care. Just seeing it in the garage every time I open the door makes me feel a bit better.

But hey, it's supposed to go to 50 F here in the Denver area today and 55 F on Tuesday! I'm going riding today (once I walk the bike off my snow and ice-covered side street), even if all the layers make me look like the Michelin Man.

post #8 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

My bike sits in my office about 4 feet away from me everyday. I tinker on it, sit on it, make motor noises on it, and I've been know to sit on it during phone calls (speaker phone is great). If I want to fire it up for real I just wheel it into the garage and caress her starter button there.

I do miss my ATV when winter hits.

post #9 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. Make this winter a blur and sober up around springtime.
im going this route, but my patience is wearing thin lol

post #10 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Well, I sold my 919 years ago, sometimes I do miss it, but it was time for a change.

Having sold my only other "real" streetbike though, is another thing, being cold and somewhat bikeless is a PIA.

There is the Honda CB750 drag bike in the garage, but it needs fuel to run and it is a PIA to prep it for storage after riding it, blah blah blah.

Scooters, could go scootin, they need, quickly, to be started and ridden, sheit, I think I forgot to put fuel stabilizer in them, better do this next week!

No matter really, we're snowed in, its below zero, basically, good time to stay inside.

Drinking, for the weak. Take the money you would of spend on drinking and save it for something far more memorable. Accessories, lodging on a upcoming road trip, a million things better than alcohol you can spend that money on.

What to do, well, if you can not bundle up and ride, surf -

Surf the 'net, learn as much as you can about anything and everything that interests you.

Play games, Yahoo Pool and Backgammon are multiple player games, you play against real people, that is fun sometimes.

Anyway, I'm thinking about what to buy for 2010 as a daily motorcycle. Leaning towards a Yamaha XS1100, but who knows. So, I spend time learning about them, this week.

Good honest post, thank you

post #11 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
...But hey, it's supposed to go to 50 F here in the Denver area today and 55 F on Tuesday! I'm going riding today (once I walk the bike off my snow and ice-covered side street), even if all the layers make me look like the Michelin Man.

Did you replace your awesome Mad Max gloves yet? lol... I'm not knocking em, they serve their purpose.

I chickened out on riding into Denver this morning, too many slick spots in the twilight before sunup... Later today, and the rest of the week are looking very good though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM
What to do, well, if you can not bundle up and ride, surf -

Surf the 'net, learn as much as you can about anything and everything that interests you.

Play games, Yahoo Pool and Backgammon are multiple player games, you play against real people, that is fun sometimes.
Do you do all that while wearing your Powerpuff Girls Underoos?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

Do you do all that while wearing your Powerpuff Girls Underoos?
I've been to Boulder and understand why they may be in style there, but alas, they are not on my a55.......

Anyway, another wonderful way to spend time is with stuff like this:

Quote:
A Canadian musician named Dave Carroll recently had difficulty with United Airlines. United apparently damaged his treasured Taylor guitar ($3500) during a flight. Dave spent over 9 months trying to get United to pay for damages caused by baggage handlers to his custom Taylor guitar. During his final exchange with the United Customer Relations Manager, he stated that he was left with no choice other than to create a music video for youtube exposing their lack of cooperation. The Manager responded : "Good luck with that one, pal".
So he posted a retaliatory video on youtube. The video has since received almost 6 million hits and been featured on CNN. United Airlines contacted the musician and attempted settlement in exchange for pulling the video. Naturally his response was: "Good luck with that one, pal".
Taylor Guitars sent the musician 2 new custom guitars in appreciation for the product recognition from the video that has lead to a sharp increase in orders. Here's the video ....

YouTube - United Breaks Guitars
And, even better - the classic Hilter version!

YouTube - Hitler Finds Out United Breaks Guitars

post #13 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Did you replace your awesome Mad Max gloves yet? lol... I'm not knocking em, they serve their purpose.
Nope, still a Mel Gibson fan (come on, Road Warrior was an awesome flick). The problem with those Icon Titanium gloves is that, in winter, the metal plates suck the warmth right out of your hands. I picked up a pair of glove liners--rather than springing for heated gloves, like a sane person--and will be giving those a try today.

Yeah, scary hidden icy spots, along with sand on the roads, are the downside of riding in Colorado during the winter. My thinking is that if I stay on the road more traveled, I may piss off Robert Frost, but can still ride during the winter and stay upright.

I can't bring myself to winterize the bike and put it away. I had a terrific ride on New Year's Day, and it seems like every week or three, the opportunity to ride presents itself, even if it does mean some killer wind chill.

post #14 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You could always move to Canada. I rode my 9er on Dec. 26 and yesterday. It was a little tough getting to a main road but it was worth it!

Spoiler:

post #15 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
im going this route, but my patience is wearing thin lol
+1, except for next Sunday, I'v bought some goodies for the 919, all electrical parts, fuse block, ground block, heated grips, brake light modulator, turn signal conversion, headlight bulb, hand guards, and air horn. WIRES EVERYWHERE! It'll be a fun day getting her ready for spring.

post #16 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Le So Cal Troll

dunno your guys problems... my 919 doesnt really get all that lonely here in so cal... went out last saturday on an awesome ride.

_D3X5872 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

On this awesome route
Santa Rosa Rd to Kanan Rd - Google Maps

post #17 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Greg

Isle of Man TT on cable and two bottles of good wine.

post #18 of 23 Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Optio

Buy some cold weather gear instead of warm weather gear.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #19 of 23 Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

rode mine to work everyday last week.

Sorry

Dan
post #20 of 23 Old 01-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Go to motorcycle travel dvd and buy it. Watch and think wistful thoughts of spring then send it to me.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #21 of 23 Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 AM
little cobber

You colud all come to aus at the moment for your winter break its between 20 and 38 degrees centergrade down here bloody hot and lots of good roads to ride

post #22 of 23 Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Sheepdog

Cast bullets and re-load ammunition for the summer. This is a great way to spend those cold winter nights/days, and then you won't have to spend the time during the good weather when you could be out riding your 9'er to the range!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #23 of 23 Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I'm down to riding only once a week. It's pretty mild (lows in the 30s and highs around 50), but too wet to ride every day. This past weekend was gorgeous - mid 50s and sunny... but we had out of town guests staying with us.
It's supposed to be 55 and clear on Friday and I have the day off!
The dirt bike has been even more neglected than the street bike. Good thing I have supercross on TV and subscriptions to various dirt bike and street bike rags to keep me from losing my mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode