I have no choice... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
The man

I have no choice...

As the title says, i've got no choice but to get rid of my 9'r. I have had it for just a month now and thought it was something that I could afford but, I just can't do it. I didn't really get a great deal on it (even though I bought it from the cycle shop where I work at; i've been with the company for over a year) and the insurance is killing me.

I didn't realize that I paid $9,924 plus tax/title/license until it was too late. I know other employees of the company that bought bikes (and cars; the same guy who owns this shop owns a lot of car lots too) that have gotten great deals on them. I recall one young lady at the harley shop I worked at got a new 08 nightster for $500 over dealer invoice. Can't figure that one out. If memory serves me correctly, she was with the company not too much longer than I was at the time.

Anyways, I know it's going to be a long shot but if there is anyone who knows of someone looking to get a 9'r, I have one up for grabs. It's a 07 with a little less than 1,700 miles on it and completely stock. I've done the first service on it at 675 miles and used good old GN4 and it's had the chain lubed once a week (using the honda chain lube). It's been well cared for during the time i've had it. The bike is located in Austin, TX.

If there is any questions, please feel free to PM me and I will get back to you. I am hoping my next ride to be a scooter. Maybe an aprilia sr50r or vespa lx50, something more affordable for me.

Joe
07 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Whoa! How does that $9,924 total break down?

post #3 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Tell us about your insurance too. What company do you have, premium, and such n' so forth?

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #4 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:12 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

did you buy the 5 year warranty or something?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Undercoating and floor mats? JK....sounds like alot. Could the $9924 be the total cost with all the finance charges?

post #6 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
The man

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Undercoating and floor mats? JK....sounds like alot. Could the $9924 be the total cost with all the finance charges?
Nope, $9,924 was the "selling" price. Got the gap insurance because I thought it was money well spent. Didn't get the extended warranty because I didn't really think i'd ever have need to use it. After all it is a honda.

The insurance company is state farm and my deductable is $1,000 (the highest the bank would allow). It just doesen't make any sense, I have absoutely no tickets for the past 5 years.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I'm lucky that I live with my parent because between the child support and this bike, i'd be of the f'n street. I guess I should have gotten the scooter in the first place. Damn it all!

Joe
07 919
post #7 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Discen

I won't beat you over the head about what you paid for the 919, as you already know you overpaid. Important thing is you learned from it.

Or at least I hope you will learn from it. If you want affordable 2 wheeled transportation, don't buy a scooter. They cost more than a good used 250 motorcycle, and don't get all that much better fuel economy.

Find a good used 250 like a Ninja, Rebel, or Virago. Should be around $2000 depending on age and condition. Your insurance will be cheap as you won't need anything but liability. About $75 per year. Your fuel economy will be around 80mpg. And they really are a blast to drive.

My $.02.

Forgot to add....if you don't have the money for it up front, don't buy it. Period. Sell your 919, pay off the loan, and save up until you have the cash on hand.

2006 Honda 919
post #8 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
The man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolff View Post
I won't beat you over the head about what you paid for the 919, as you already know you overpaid. Important thing is you learned from it.

Or at least I hope you will learn from it. If you want affordable 2 wheeled transportation, don't buy a scooter. They cost more than a good used 250 motorcycle, and don't get all that much better fuel economy.

Find a good used 250 like a Ninja, Rebel, or Virago. Should be around $2000 depending on age and condition. Your insurance will be cheap as you won't need anything but liability. About $75 per year. Your fuel economy will be around 80mpg. And they really are a blast to drive.

My $.02.

Forgot to add....if you don't have the money for it up front, don't buy it. Period. Sell your 919, pay off the loan, and save up until you have the cash on hand.
Thanks for not beating me up too bad. I know I made a mistake with this deal and believe me when I say that I have learned from it. It usually only takes one time of making a mistake to learn from it (for me anyways).

I would take almost anything at this point for cheaper transportation. Thinking about this whole "issue" has actually made the 9'r not as enjoyable to ride. I know that's saying a lot!

BTW: I saw this while typing and it made me laugh ---->

Joe
07 919
post #9 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Couple of things.

This is in the naked bikes section. If you want it moved to classifieds let me know. You'll need to post a price if you are going to try and sell it.

Second, being as you work there, I think it's worth talking with the owner. That is robbery. That price plus T,T and L is way over the top. There's a new 07 here for $6,800.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Optio

Not to beat you up as you already know you made a mistake, but no matter what you buy you should always check a few sources on prices/reviews etc.

Personally I'd also look for a different job, whoever is the sales manager and also the finance manager sure didn't do you any favors.

Not sure on your age, but maybe see if your folks could put it under their insurance. Not really legit, but it might help you out of a bad deal and let you be able to keep the bike. Insurance rates vary quite a bit on this bike. There's a few people around here that pay a good amount and than theirs quite a few of us who pay 100-200 a year with full coverage.

Myself, 34, two tickets, multiple vehicles insured with 500 deductibles I'm only paying 100-105 a year for mine.

Your easily going to be taking a 3500-4000 dollar hit if you sell the bike.

Good luck with everything...

post #11 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

as an employee i paid 6500+++ for mine.. read the pm i sent you

post #12 of 15 Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
The man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
Not to beat you up as you already know you made a mistake, but no matter what you buy you should always check a few sources on prices/reviews etc.

Personally I'd also look for a different job, whoever is the sales manager and also the finance manager sure didn't do you any favors.

Not sure on your age, but maybe see if your folks could put it under their insurance. Not really legit, but it might help you out of a bad deal and let you be able to keep the bike. Insurance rates vary quite a bit on this bike. There's a few people around here that pay a good amount and than theirs quite a few of us who pay 100-200 a year with full coverage.

Myself, 34, two tickets, multiple vehicles insured with 500 deductibles I'm only paying 100-105 a year for mine.

Your easily going to be taking a 3500-4000 dollar hit if you sell the bike.

Good luck with everything...
I'm 29 years old and this is the only thing that I have to insure at the moment.

My credit isn't good but it isn't bad either, the favor they did for me was getting the bank to finance me. I would like to chat with the owner but he recently bought another harley dealership and it would be hard to get in touch with him. Don't know if it would do any good but it surely could do no harm.

Joe
07 919
post #13 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

yer screwed, sorry, im just built this way

post #14 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Unbannable

If you get rid of the 919 you must change your name to JoeUncool =(

post #15 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

My brother-in-law did the same sort of thing that you did. In 07 he bought a brand new 600RR off the showroom floor and after all was said and done, he paid just a little over $10,000 for it. He knew better because I showed him over and over where he could get a barely used one for almost half the price. His problem was he didn't have the money, banks wanted really high interest rates, and he would have to get full coverage. He found that through the Honda dealer, he could put the entire purchase on a Suzuki credit card, have low interest for the first 3 years, and get liability only.

Ever since about a month after he bought it, it has been periodically up for sale and he talks about how much he hates the payments, blah blah blah. Now, about a year and a half later, he has lightly laid it down twice (once he just pushed it over on concrete while washing it) and his wife pushed it down the driveway 6 feet with her car.

He wants to get out from under it, but there is no way he will get his money back. He probably still owes $8,000 on it, both sides have some scuffs from going down, his sidestand is bent (thanks to his honey) so badly that it barely stands on it's own, the front fender is cracked all over and flops in the wind, and the front fairing is scuffed pretty bad and the lines don't match up (again thanks to the driveway incident).

He would be doing good to get $5,000 for it in my opinion.

Unless you are Bill Gates, money is almost always an issue. I am already thinking about this winter and how it will put a squeeze on the budget. The bike will be parked, I'll be spending more on fuel in the truck, the heat will be running and the gas bill is going to suck, I have to start making a $200 per month student loan payment in Jan. etc.

My advice is to sit down at your computer with Excel and create a detailed budget. Put all of your income lines together in one area, then put your monthly expenses in another. Look for areas to cut and try to run lean. If you already have a good handle on your money flow, then that's great, but you probably would have seen this coming.

http://www.daveramsey.com/ is a good source of information. I think sometimes he gets a little extreme in his ideas, but if you follow most of them, you should be fine. As long as your income is greater than your payments and you have some money in savings...well....you know.

Sorry for writing a book here, but I guess what I could have said in about two sentences is...although the bike may not have been a smart choice, see if there are even dumber decisions that have placed you in this current financial crunch. Also check your budget really well before jumping to any decisions.

EDIT...Disclaimer: No offense was meant to people who purchase brand new vehicles/motorcycles. If you have the money, go for it. If not, get the best you can afford.

Press Any Key To Continue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode