I have a 919... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 PM
tomvan72

I have a 919...

But i rode a SV 650 and the handling is awesome. That is pretty much the most I want out of a bike. Any bike will go 100mph but my 9 does not handle aas well as the said SV. I am tempted to get something different. I still love the naked bike and just want one tat has great handling. Or should I say superior handling. I am I wrong for wanting something other than my 9?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You are wrong for buying a motorcycle that you don't like.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM
tomvan72

No, I like the 919. I never said I did not. Are you drinking right now? Actually, as I learn more about motorcycles and myself, I find that I like cornering more than brute power. The 9 corners great. I think that now I would like something that handles better while stile being a naked bike. Dont get me wrong the Honda is a great bike. All of my friends that dont have Honda, have problems. All I have to do is put gas in mine, change the oil and change the tires.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Pshh... only rookies have to change their tires... what a novice. Naked and awesome handling never seemed to mix. They are close, but you'd need a sportbike frame and crud to get tip top handling. I too am not saying that the 919 is bad or that it can't handle. Just saying... the next level would be sportbike-ish.

I guess I never pushed a naked, so why am I talking? Oh yeah, cause I'm really really bored. Hi.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 PM
tomvan72

I did see the ducati s4rs and it was tits! but to get all the handling came a 999 motor. I dont really need that much power or that much $$$. Should I get a sport bike and just crash all the plastic off of it? I know you are board because it is late at night and you should be with your lady. I have been with mine and she is resting. Now its time to think about bikes again!. But really, Do I have a real concern with this or should I just ride my bike and shut up? I really applaud everones opinion here jokes or not!

post #6 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm 'everyone' for now I guess.

The Ducati s4rs won't be any more power than the inline 919 engine. It'll be smoother power though(I would assume). If that's affordable for ya, bite.

I'd say, just get something your comfortable with and then get some nice suspension work. Have the forks reworked and get like a Penske shock. Merely for money saving reasons. Or get all Ohlins.

I'll let someone else talk now.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #7 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Milites Gregarius

havent ridden an SV much...
(basiclly have sat on them and moved around in a parking lot)
the SV is a bit lighter but I find my 9'er handles very well.. you got to push it pretty damn hard to get any problems from it... if you have one of the later models .. try getting your suspension setup for you.. and/or upgrade the suspension and get it setup for you...

My sunday morning rides are with a sport bike club.. and I don't have any problems keeping up, except for the fastest riders.. and it doesnt matter what they are riding... the normal ride leader switches between his V-Strom 650 and his zx10

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #8 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 PM
themightyhornet

Smile sv650v919

Hey man yes the sv650 is a sweet bike but after a 919 the lack of power (after the initial "in love") period will drive you mad in the end

post #9 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 05:26 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
The SV has budget suspension just like the 919, so expect that to irritate you if you start to push it hard in the twisties. If you want sportbike handling, you're going to have to buy a sportbike. Plus, like mightyhornet said, the SV is a bit weak in the power department after riding the 9r.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #10 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Or you can plunk down $15k on one of these naked beauties.

post #11 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Milites Gregarius

I had an 03 SV 650 just prior to the 919. The first thing I noticed was that the 919 doesn't steer as quickly (some folks call it "flickable") but that is the ONLY thing the SV might have had on the 919. The 919 is way more comfortable and powerful, gets the same gas mileage and is just as much fun. It steers quick enough for me, even did fine at the track.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 AM

if you want somthing that corners without compromise, being said that tons of power isnt that big of an issue, get a Buell xb12r, about the same HP as a 919, lots more torque, and AMaZing cornering. Also naked... for some reason i seem to be the only person that ever advocates buells on here...

post #13 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackelfox View Post
if you want somthing that corners without compromise, being said that tons of power isnt that big of an issue, get a Buell xb12r, about the same HP as a 919, lots more torque, and AMaZing cornering. Also naked... for some reason i seem to be the only person that ever advocates buells on here...
My little brother just recently picked up a XB9, haven't ridden it yet but it looks good.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 09:02 AM

I've ridden both and agree with amchev. The big difference is that the SV has a stiff enough frame that the bike can be modded for race use. If I want to really push things I'll buy a race bike. For the street I still prefer my 919 over the SV (stock to stock), if only for the power difference.

post #15 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 10:53 AM

the sv is a suzuki. that alone would scare the daylights outta me.

gutless and broken but it handles awesome... sounds like an awesome way to spend a few grand.

post #16 of 18 Old 08-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Furthermore i can really sympathize with your whole issue and i have had it for some time now. I like the 919, and really is almost perfect. but the fact that really getting into modding the niner seems pointless. Personally i blame this on LordDuckhunters into on 919.org where he says as much. I dont have that much money to spend on mods and prolly wouldnt anyway. But the fact that there really isnt too much point. that after it all i still have a honda (nothing to exotic about that) and still have a comparatively weak frame, and good but fairly bland looks. Call me shallow but the look of a motorcycle is at least a solid half of why i ride anyway. This community of 919 owners helps me to feel part of somthing, but at the same time i know i could own just about anything and the people here would be just as friendly... (wow bearing my soul takes alot of typing)

post #17 of 18 Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackelfox View Post
(wow bearing my soul takes alot of typing)
Give it time and you'll add more paragraphs!

post #18 of 18 Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Check into that new Triumph Speed Triple, If there was only a dealer closer than 150 miles, and well, maintenance issues..... I'd love to have one! and amazingly I think the msrp is around 10k which is more than the 9er, but not by a whole hell of alot,

I'm not sure about the handling but has a chunk of power over the 919, with (I'm assuming) Less mass, as its a 3cyl.

I think,,, no I know someone on here has one,, but i'm at work, and gotta run,...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode