I had to go for it... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Al

I had to go for it...

Not being a speed freak, I would rather ride better through the twisty stuff than just flat out across the open areas, besides, that's where you are likely to loose your license if caught or photographed, however my brother, who also has a 919, persuaded me to replace the exhaust, if only to get rid of what someone else on another thread called a "wimpy" sound of the stock exhaust. We both agreed that although the 919 is a real neat bike, it sounds a little, well, whimpish with the stockers on it, so about a month ago we went looking. Now here in New Zealand we don't get every brand and model of accessories available to you guys over the water, so we either have to buy over the net or order in a lot of the stuff.

At that point we had all but made up our minds to go for Yoshi tri-oval carbons and we got a sort of quote, BUT, when it came to ordering them in we were in for a shock. The very day we went in, we found that Yoshi's went up in price and by some astronomical amount too - about 35%. I'm afraid Yoshi's were now out of the equation. We got prices for many other brands - Two Bro's, Scorpion, to name a couple, and they all appeared to have gone up in price just the same. That put a huge damper on the whole upgrade, and we went home with tails between legs. If only we had have got "A" into "G" a month ago. Ahhh well, we live and learn...

But wait...

Brother not so willing to give up found a guy locally who makes exhausts.. We had tried one local guy 18 months ago with our VTR-1000's and those pipes were ok but not outstanding,,, very average indeed and I didn't want to go local, but we phoned around and some of the replies we got said this crowd did quite a mean job, probably the best local makers of bike exhausts, and they were half the cost of the Yoshi's and thier NEW price, so we took a gamble and ordered a set each...

It took a handful of days for them to be made and couriered up from 400 miles (700kms) away, but arrive they did on the day he promised, so on they went and as soon as they were fitted, we threw on our gear and took off for a test.

At first, I didn't notice and more or less power. We were promised that the exhausts would more or less replace the stockers and were not that loud but they wont disappoint as a replacement as the Hornet 900 was one of the most upgraded bikes on their list and they said they got it sorted out for these bikes. They seemed to slightly shift the power from the arm stretching acceleration you get at around 3500 - 4000 rpm, giving a flatter sensation but once you get up to about 4000 - 4500 rpm, all hell broke loose. My brother took off from a stop sign and whipped open the throttle (we were out the back of nowhere) and the front went instantly vertical then came back down and into second and back up it came,, just staright power. I slapped open my throttle and mine didn't ride up, but it did hover just above the road, maybe a foot or so for about 30 yards (30 metres). I didn't know it was off the ground until I turned the bars to see and then it came back down with that distinctive thump... We went back home and discussed it and came to the conclusion that there seemed to be a much better top end gain and a good usable mid range. Bottom end was a head scratch. A few days leter we were in for a sweet surprise indeed.

That weekend, just last weekend, we went for a ride over the hill and back, about a 300 km (200 miles) ride and when we got over there, I was a little noncommittal about the power spread, BUT, I was sure we hadn't lost any. As we left for the trip home, we got up and over the "hill" and as we headed down the other side, I noticed my bike seemed to come into its own,, and by the time we got to the bottom of the hill, about 15 kms (10 miles), it seemed to be a whole new bike. It just seemed to beg to be opened up. We stopped for gas and I said this to my brother. He replied he was really enjoying his new setup too, but I felt I was on another bike altogether. Time to cross the most boring part of the trip, the plains, which was a handful of miles of flat open road - Yawnnnn..!!! I hate this part each time I cross it. However, my brother and our friend took off ahead of me while I was looing down at my speedo thinking "120 km/h" hmmmmm... I looked up and I could see their tail lights fast disappearing into the future... Ahh what the heck. I rolled on the power and I was astounded at what happened. Next thing I looked at the speedo and saw 230 km/h and the bike was still hauling *ss as if there were no tomorrow. This is the first time I have opened the bike up. I don't know what speed I eventually reached as I looked up and the other two had slowed down to some earthly sppeds again and I was right up their exhuast pipes so I released the throttle and began to breath again. Happy happy joy joy...

Well if that wasn't enough, a short time later they turned off the main road and took the back road home. Still a few long straights but only for a few miles,, BUT,, as I rounded the corner about 50 metres (50 yards) behind them, I heard the huge revving of a V8 sports car and saw them once again disappearing, giving chase to this car. Well I'm not going to be left behind again so I cranked it open and I slowly caught them up and evetually I overtook the lot of them, hanging on for my life. Once again I saw 200,, 220, 230 km/h but then I concentrated on where I was going, that and the fact that I was about to overtake my brother and the car he was about to overtake. He hesitated for a split second and just pulled out and went past them all,, bikes and car... I held it open for a while and then I peeked into the mirrors and saw the car wayyyyyy back there somewhere and my brother about 100 metres behind me. I looked up ahead and saw a corner approaching and at these speeds even a slight corner like this one could see you run wide and get into a whole lot of trouble so I let off the throttle and lined up for the bend and took it quite well and then looked at my speedo as I exited the bend - I still saw my needle on the high side of 200 km/h, closer to 220 km/h. No wonder I had to lean it like I did. I slowed down and saw my brother come up behind me and the car was by now so far behind, I could hardly even make it out anymore. I now waved my brother past and our other friend too and took my place at the rear of the field. Still no car though. The Hornet felt just a little light through that bend at that speed but certainly nothing to get alarmed over. Not bad at all actually...

When we got home I had to ask... My brother said he saw 245 km/h on his clock and I went past him and pulled right away.

I just don't know what it got up to as I was just watching where I was going rather that looking at the speedo... Can ya blame me... Honest guys, I just wasn't prepared for that. I am no speed freak and on rare occasions when I do open the taps, I don't try to claim any unearthly speeds mostly because I prefer to watch the road ahead. On a Hornet 900 (919) at those speeds the biggest challenge is hanging on. That's a job and a half by itself.

I don't know why my bike seemed to change characters over the hill but I swear it all of a sudden it seemed to be tuned in. I had only 2400 kms (1500 miles) on the clock when we left home and I noticed with the VTR1000 it seemed to really loosen up between 2000 and 2500 kms. Maybe it did the same on the Hornet. Who knows... Whatever it was, this is one set of pipes I wont regret buying...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

sounds like a fun ride... i have had mine up to a indicated *read that as uncorrected 160mph... with a loooooong straight road and NO traffic... but i can hit 130-145 in no time flat... its that 145 to 160 where ya need a tad more room... btw i have a 17t front sprocket and single exhaust and power commander and, and, and,.....

take some pictures of the area and send it to us here in the states we would love to see them

post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Al

Yeah - I forgot to even take a pic, so I did that a few moments ago, of the bike. I have a few real hefty cameras (Nikon) which are just too big and bulky to carry along on our rides. I might have to get a small pocket camera soon, as I love taking photos...
Barton, I just didn't think the Hornet would react so quickly. They most certainly are an under rated bike if ever there was one...

Hope the pic comes through...

post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2008, 09:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Pipes look good. I love the gloss black 919s.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

nice... do the cops give you problems with the license plate spray painted like that....

j/k those pipes look nice...

post #6 of 13 Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

kool story there bro, thanks

post #7 of 13 Old 11-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Nice! I like the profile, very slender!

post #8 of 13 Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 AM

Nice story. I felt like I was right behind you. If you get some pictures of the area, we would love to see them. Later, JD

post #9 of 13 Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Those pipes look great. I wish we could hear them. BTW great story!

post #10 of 13 Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 AM
necked 919

I think the sound of your new pipes may have gotten to you...
That Hornet growl through aftermarket pipes will make you open up the throttle to the point that the local authorities will want to have a talk to you so be careful out there.

PS: nice looking bikes and pipes.

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #11 of 13 Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Great story! Sounds like you guys had fun. Good to hear that the bike and the exhaust are working so well for you !!
When you get a chance post up some more pics of your bike and the exhaust, and your scenic New Zealand riding areas!

post #12 of 13 Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

like the pipes, but what of those handle bars lol jk but that sounds like and average ride for me lol

post #13 of 13 Old 11-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

what is up with the tail light. looks kinda funny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode