I got bored this winter and spent money - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-08-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
urdrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 154
Rep Power: 1
 
I got bored this winter and spent money

Introduced myself back in September when I drug home my 919... After a few weeks of throughly enjoying the bike and making plans to do the RC51 Fork conversion I started having issues with the transmission... Namely 4th gear... So I started pulling the bike down to fix it...

That took forever and in the meantime I started dragging other bike home to further fuel my addiction

The first addition... 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100



Man this thing is sweet... I love just looking at it.

Second addition... 2010 Ducati Multistrada... I bought this bike to replace the BMW 1200 GS I sold in the spring of 2013



And finally the ugliest Mofo on the planet yet somehow it absolutely makes me grin from ear to ear... 2008 KTM SuperDuke 990



Today I picked my 919 back up after she's been gone for 5 months... Man she is so smooth...

I was thinking I would sell one or two but I love them all ...

oh well.... Sister Bikes!

urdrvideo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shepherdsville
Posts: 79
Blog Entries: 3
Rep Power: 1
 
What is your first impressions with the Kawasaki? Years back they made an Eddie Lawson replica bike with the same paint scheme. The ZRX is a bit more refined as I am told. Just wondering what you think??

Mark57 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Optio
 
firedave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 953
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
How does the 919 compare to the 990 Duke? The Duke is on my short list of bike I might replace the 919 with.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
firedave is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 03-08-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
urdrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 154
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark57 View Post
What is your first impressions with the Kawasaki? Years back they made an Eddie Lawson replica bike with the same paint scheme. The ZRX is a bit more refined as I am told. Just wondering what you think??
There are a few small issues that keep me from being able to tell you an opinion opinion ... the bike has some fueling issues, and the tires are shot..It has lots of potential, that motor is a monster. and they have a huge following.
I like it enough that I'm keeping it long term... so we can revisit this question in a month or so when i get some stuff situated.

urdrvideo is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 03-08-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
urdrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 154
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedave View Post
How does the 919 compare to the 990 Duke? The Duke is on my short list of bike I might replace the 919 with.

The Duke is what we all mod all other bikes to do right out of the box...

The suspension the brakes, the power... it really does make my 919 absolutely redundant and i would keep the Duke over all of them if I had to make a financial choice. It does everything brilliantly, effortlessly and comfortable.

urdrvideo is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Chicken Strips
 
Dano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perryopolis, PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Posts: 543
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Damn wish I have the $$ and time to ride all of the bikes....all good addititons to the garage

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
Dano is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 AM
TEXAN
 
MF1VE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,524
Rep Power: 1
 
That is a fine collection. Very, very cool.

MF1VE is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Discen
 
Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 211
Rep Power: 1
 
Nice bikes. I had a Zrx before the 919. It was a fun ride, and I agree with you on the looks. The duke looks like it would be fun. I may have to start trolling the ads for a nice used one. Don't tell the Mrs.

Cheese is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 03-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Aquilifer
 
PAULIBIKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Posts: 1,227
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdrvideo View Post
The Duke is what we all mod all other bikes to do right out of the box...

The suspension the brakes, the power... it really does make my 919 absolutely redundant and i would keep the Duke over all of them if I had to make a financial choice. It does everything brilliantly, effortlessly and comfortable.
Interesting............I remember a few years back you could buy a brand new holdover for $7-8K. Looks like they still get about that used.

Was looking hard at a white one, should have bought it. Got scared of all the "KTM" stories too.........

PAULIBIKER is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shepherdsville
Posts: 79
Blog Entries: 3
Rep Power: 1
 
URD,

I am confident the other two bikes would out perform the ZRX in several categories. However what draws me to the ZRX is more nalstalgic than anything else. I just saw where some guys restored the 1983 Vance and Hines pro-stock bike that had that same Eddie Lawson paint scheme I spoke of in an earlier post. I just purchased my 919 and am excited as hell about the project, but I think it would be cool to either restore, or get one of the replica's from that era. The eighties was a very transitional period in motorcyle history making many steps that led us to where we are today. Sorry for rambling, enjoy your bikes, they are all awesome in their on way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (207.4 KB, 14 views)

Mark57 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
urdrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 154
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark57 View Post
URD,

I am confident the other two bikes would out perform the ZRX in several categories. However what draws me to the ZRX is more nalstalgic than anything else. I just saw where some guys restored the 1983 Vance and Hines pro-stock bike that had that same Eddie Lawson paint scheme I spoke of in an earlier post. I just purchased my 919 and am excited as hell about the project, but I think it would be cool to either restore, or get one of the replica's from that era. The eighties was a very transitional period in motorcyle history making many steps that led us to where we are today. Sorry for rambling, enjoy your bikes, they are all awesome in their on way.

People pass by the Duke and the Duc maybe glancing at them, the Honda may as well be a Corolla not even a first look... But that ZRX draws a crowd and all ages... Im with you... The ZRX Stays if only for Nostalgia purposes, and i paid pennies for it which still boggles my mind.

urdrvideo is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
urdrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 154
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Interesting............I remember a few years back you could buy a brand new holdover for $7-8K. Looks like they still get about that used.

Was looking hard at a white one, should have bought it. Got scared of all the "KTM" stories too.........

I tried to look around before i bought it... you hear some stories but at the same time they seem pretty stout.. I found several Super Dukes with 50+K trouble free miles... regular maintenance seems to be the key as always.
Keep and eye on the Coolant... I Love my Duke!

urdrvideo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome