Hurt Motor=Quickest Run EVER !?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Hurt Motor=Quickest Run EVER !??

didn't get him in shape for friday at the track, but i took the Tinman out to Alaska Raceway Park saturday and sunday to air him out. remember: one cylinder is 28 psi low on compression test compared to the others. cylinder wall scoring confirmed, but no other damage visible via borescope. well, none that I visibled. don't know why my 60 foot times are so crappy, as i was launching with more revs than ever and i just went back to 16/46 sprockets.

i now believe that due to my nitrous nozzles being so far back from the intake ports, on the "wrong side" of the throttle plates, that nitrous jetting which would normally be a 65 shot are giving more like 35-40 horspower. after all the changes i've made, i just can't get more than 134 mph in the quarter, and that means i'm at my horsepower peak. believe me i can tell you all that between seat of the pants and looking at my plugs, whatever mix i'm running right now, and have been running other than the few runs that i got sloppy and melted spark plugs last month, is being "carbureted" as nicely as it can.

anywhoo, here's the time slips that i liked best this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickslips 7-2008.jpg (65.2 KB, 107 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
919 City Pilot

nice runs`

post #3 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Tire abuser

As always, I love hearing about your dragstrip experiences, Bucky. Those are some pretty impressive timeslips. I've got some 8-second timeslips, myself...

...in the 1/8th mile (on an ATV). Sigh. I've

Anyway, I will be bringing my (stock) 919 out to the strip at Ashcroft, BC, some time this summer. We are racing the quads on the 1/8th mile again and I will be bringing my bike out to the street legal drags.

Keep the dragstrip updates coming.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
nom nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
and i just went back to 16/46 sprockets.
What sprockets had you been running?

Awesome times! Congrats!

'02 919
post #5 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

16/43, most of the time. i'd run 16/46 in the past, but not with nitrous.

by the way, several spectators confirmed that after the Dynojet Ignition module/ Quickshift cuts out for each shift, there are visible flames out the exhaust to accompany each "POP!" that i'd been hearing when the ignition comes back on.

i wish someone had off-bike video of The Tinman...

lost a good close race with a harley destroyer one run, but then again, i didn't spend $35k for my bike either.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice, Bucky!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #7 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Those tracks scare the thought of them love to have a go

post #8 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

Good runs bucky 10.26 cool only .27 sec left to trim whats the game plan relocating juice nozzles?????? Are you still looking for the 9.99 slip?

post #9 of 15 Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

here's what i reckon at this point. i'm stuck with nozzle location. the distance from nozzle to combustion event must not be ideal for how this engine breathes, or tries to. so i'm going to jet it rather large over the winter, during which time i'm theoretically going to yard the engine and take a look at a 945 kit, flow the head a bit, and find a quarter of a second and change. at least.

of course, having just found .14 since setting a personal best of 10.40 last month, i MAY just get a tad closer to 9.99 with what i'm running right now. short shifting on nitrous seems to actually accelerate harder, but i changed gearing so who knows which did what ?

i'm not much of a vow maker (okay, don't count the ex wives) but the vow i made about the bike, dedicating my race efforts to my dead dad and vowing to get it into the nines, i intend to keep.

but damnit dad, couldn't you have left me a kitted 'busa instead???

post #10 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

I have put serious thought into turning the 9er into a sleeper bike. It always comes down to carbs. The FI is sweet but carbs are versitile and a biger pain in the @$$. I'm always looking for 98 CBR RR lump with carbs and electronics easier to make go fast with more accessible cams and what have you. I also heard the head flows better but that makes no sense to me.AND just the straight swap would yeild 20+ horses and more revs.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
I have put serious thought into turning the 9er into a sleeper bike. It always comes down to carbs. The FI is sweet but carbs are versitile and a biger pain in the @$$. I'm always looking for 98 CBR RR lump with carbs and electronics easier to make go fast with more accessible cams and what have you. I also heard the head flows better but that makes no sense to me.AND just the straight swap would yeild 20+ horses and more revs.
I was always under the impression that it wasn't a direct swap. Something about the angle of the intake tract on the carbed engine vs the fi engine. Ive heard it can be done but you need to remove the bottom of the fuel tank and have it "customized" to clear the carbs.

Nice 1/4 runs.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

everything CAN be done, but an engine swap into the hornet frame would require more than most people got.

post #13 of 15 Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

THe engine its self would be direct odds and ends are always odds and ends besides I'm amechanic whos done dozens of engine wont fit in that car stuff. its a not impossible task thats for sure.

post #14 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

has anyone heard of a quicker hornet yet? is there a running turbo? i do remember someone by the name of Marco (perhaps) who was trying to build a turbo but i don't remember seeing or hearing about it being finished and functional.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

i LOVE that nobody replied to my last question. {smug, self satisfied grin}

finally pulled the spark plugs from last weekend...when i ran that 10.26 and a few other low/mid 10's. ran the borescope back down 1 & 4; the two holes that had spark plug melt-downs earlier in the year.

the cylinder that read 118psi 2 weeks ago gave 140psi yesterday!

NOW you people know why i go on and on about Honda the manufacturer and give the bike owners crap for breaking great stuff...just like i myself did by allowing those spark plugs to melt. STUPID bucky!

but the dang engine is self-healing ! i'd read of Nissan's self-healing auto paint that reabsorbs small scratches over a short period, but i hadn't heard that Honda pioneered that technology on their cylinder walls.

all hail Honda ! damaged motors go quicker than healthy ones, and then repair the damage themselves once you re-apply some nitrous.

bizarro-world...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode