how to install a new motorcycle chain - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: la
Posts: 94
Rep Power: 1
 
how to install a new motorcycle chain

while cleaning my chain (in a pan of kerosene - thanks to previous threads) i noticed that several of the links are extremely stiff and i can't get them to loosen. so even though the chain looks good otherwise, i'm guessing it is shot. i don't remember what brand it is - it was installed by a non-dealer mototcycle shop. (i cleaned the chain in gasoline last time, and folks on this forum warned that could harm the seals - maybe that's what happened.)

anyway, time for a new chain. the last one was installed at a shop - i want to put the new one on myself (but have never done it before).

i looked at the rk chains at cycle gear, and they all appear to use clips to complete the master link. i would rather use a fully 'riveted' connection. but i don't know how this works, or which of the chain tools i need (i've read a bunch of contradictory things about the various tools online already).

can a chain that comes with a clip still be 'riveted' if you have the correct tool, or are the 'riveted' chains a different type? what should i look for specifically?

thanks in advance...
...j919

j919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right Here
Posts: 1,329
Rep Power: 1
 
You need one kind of master link or the other. Can use the opposite kind it comes with if you can find the master to do it.

I did my first rivit chain a few weeks ago. Bought the "tool", better than paying a shop. A couple more times & its paid for plus I know how to do it, can get it done at 9:00 PM on a Sunday night, etc.

Bryce919er is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Shoot to stop
 
beardking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 320
Rep Power: 1
 
beardking is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Hornet Grandpa!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 271
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j919 View Post
while cleaning my chain (in a pan of kerosene - thanks to previous threads) i noticed that several of the links are extremely stiff and i can't get them to loosen. so even though the chain looks good otherwise, i'm guessing it is shot. i don't remember what brand it is - it was installed by a non-dealer mototcycle shop. (i cleaned the chain in gasoline last time, and folks on this forum warned that could harm the seals - maybe that's what happened.)

anyway, time for a new chain. the last one was installed at a shop - i want to put the new one on myself (but have never done it before).

i looked at the rk chains at cycle gear, and they all appear to use clips to complete the master link. i would rather use a fully 'riveted' connection. but i don't know how this works, or which of the chain tools i need (i've read a bunch of contradictory things about the various tools online already).

can a chain that comes with a clip still be 'riveted' if you have the correct tool, or are the 'riveted' chains a different type? what should i look for specifically?

thanks in advance...
...j919
1. Use mineral spirits instead of kerosene to clean your chain. It is easier on the O-rings or X-rings and much less flammable and toxic to humans. I've never had a chain bind up after cleaning with mineral spirits.

2. Rivet and clip link chains are the same. It's the master link that is either rivet type or clip type. You cannot rivet a clip link.

3. I generally use RK chains. They come with a rivet link. I've fit them with a MotionPro tool (about $80). I've also purchased an RK clip link (about $7) and used it. You also need something like the MotionPro tool to install the side plate on a clip link. Gone are the days (and gone are the chains) where you could install the side plate on a clip link with a pair of pliers. You need the strength of the press fit side plate on the clip link. When you use a clip, install the side plate only far enough so the clip will fit, then back the side plate off till it contacts the clip. This will help keep the clip tight and reduce the possibility that it will come off. Also, ensure the clip is installed so it always presents the rounded end (not the two prong end) to the direction of travel. This prevents some object kicked up by your wheel (rock or something) from stripping off your clip.

I've run both clips and rivets. If properly installed, both have worked equally well for me. The only chain trouble I've had is a clip link that broke, but it was the back of the clip link that sheared in half, It did not lose the press fit side plate and clip. This could have happened to either type link.

support_six is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber
 
omaha_919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,194
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1






good thread j, I've never replaced a chain yet either.

I like the foamy "Chain Gaurd" by MAXIMA - have had good results with it so far.
Haven't tried anything else yet. just my 2¬Ęs

omaha_919 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
Chain tool (same as motionpro, without the name): http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...5-247&tier2=20
I noticed that the Trackside tool and the Motion Pro tool use different size pins - 2.2mm, 2.9mm, and 3.8mm vs. 2mm, 3mm, 4mm - Is the pin the part that presses through the link?

mdtoney is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,284
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I noticed that the Trackside tool and the Motion Pro tool use different size pins - 2.2mm, 2.9mm, and 3.8mm vs. 2mm, 3mm, 4mm - Is the pin the part that presses through the link?
The pins are what's used to press the old pins out. Best to dremel off the old pin head and then use the pins to push them out. One of them is to expand the hollow end of rivet link pins.

That kit appears to be missing one piece my motion pro kit has, the plate with a groove cut through it, although it says two press plates. I use that one to push the side plate on, since it will stop before the side plate goes on too far.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right Here
Posts: 1,329
Rep Power: 1
 
I've got a question. My new rivit master I just put on. Say I want to remove it. Can I push out one of the pins of the master to do it?

When I removed my old chain I just pushed out any old pin because I was throwing it away anyway. So if I want to remove it now I just press out one of the master link pins?

I have the DID tool that cuts (pushes out a pin), rivits, & presses on the side plate.

Bryce919er is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 1
 
Motion Pro tool instructions say never to break (push the pin through) on a master link. HOWEVER, I clowned my first time and forgot to put the o-rings on one of the sides of the master link (doh), so I pushed the pins through from the opposite direction, bought a new master link, and it's been fine since. By the opposite side I mean the side that I didn't mushroom the pin out on.

MaxwellEdison is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,284
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
I've got a question. My new rivit master I just put on. Say I want to remove it. Can I push out one of the pins of the master to do it?

When I removed my old chain I just pushed out any old pin because I was throwing it away anyway. So if I want to remove it now I just press out one of the master link pins?

I have the DID tool that cuts (pushes out a pin), rivits, & presses on the side plate.
I would (and have) pushed out the entire master and replaced it. I did this when I had a new chain on at 114 links and wanted to shorten up to 112 links. The chain had about 4,000 miles on it. I run 112 links all the time now. Much better chain wear and shorter wheelbase.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 PM
boogerface
 
mikochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 393
Rep Power: 1
 
I have a DID chain on my bike. I used a DID tool knock-off that I got from an online store (link search for "35-0006"). You can't beat it for 16 bucks. I was skeptical of the quality before I got it, but it does the job. It's pretty heavy-duty. The stamping on the tool is identical to the ones in the DID pics. Also, I suggest you get a couple of extra pins. My first one broke, but it was my fault. They are also a steal at 6 bucks a pop. Maybe I'll try to look for DID branded pins...

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
mikochu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome