How much is my bike worth? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

How much is my bike worth?

I have been getting the bug to try something new, maybe a bike involving a vtwin or just a little more H.P. However, my decisiont to move on is really dependent upon how much I can get for my bike. The problem, however, is that I don't really know what my bike could go for. it is an '03 with 30k miles, red body work off an '07, a carbon fiber front fender, two bros exhaust, and a lower handle bar. I realize I won't get much for the minor mods that I have done, but I don't really know what I could price it at. Any advice?

For reference, here is my bike
With stock exhaust

With new exhaust and top case

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

anywhere north of $3500 and you should give them cash burn snatching the money from their hands.....

you might find it better to sell the farkles and trade it in towards what you want....

post #3 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
anywhere north of $3500 and you should give them cash burn snatching the money from their hands.....

you might find it better to sell the farkles and trade it in towards what you want....
True, but the only thing worth taking off that I would have a replacement for is the exhaust.

post #4 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Sike

Out of curiousity I Googled it. I think Paco has this one right, anything at or above $3500 would be a good sale for you. Although 30K miles isn't much for a modern Honda, it might scare some folks off.

Good Luck!!!

100% Club Founder
post #5 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 02:45 PM
CG

I'm curious about the exhaust. Is it the 2 bros slip-ons or a full header? I assume pictures don't show it.

post #6 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
I'm curious about the exhaust. Is it the 2 bros slip-ons or a full header? I assume pictures don't show it.
It come with a new mid-pipe to replace the y-pipe, as it is a single can. However, it utilizes the stock header.

Been looking at the Z1000. Looks like a lot of bike but a lot of fun.

post #7 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickonwheels View Post
It come with a new mid-pipe to replace the y-pipe, as it is a single can. However, it utilizes the stock header.

Been looking at the Z1000. Looks like a lot of bike but a lot of fun.
I recently rode the new Z1000 and it is a great bike. I was surprised by how small it felt when riding it, because it isn't a really small bike. The power delivery is everywhere. However, if you like to rev the hell out of an engine, this probably isn't the one for you, it was built more for midrange. It is dramatically faster than a 919.

100% Club Founder
post #8 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

I'm considering a Gen 1, as I don't want to spend any more money.

post #9 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
I have heard that the Gen II is much better, if you can afford it, it may be something to consider (maybe get a higher milage GenII for lower $). Maybe someone with experience can chime in.

post #10 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Sike

Quote:
In my opinion, there isn't enough difference between a 919 and a gen 1 Z1000 to make it worth it. The gen 1 Z1000 has a little stronger engine and responds better to suspension mods, but it is still a mild-moderate difference.

100% Club Founder
post #11 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

To be honest, I'm really just wanting to move onto something new. I can't afford true sport bike insurance, as I am only 22, so bikes within the "naked" genre really appeal to me. I'd like to sit on an SV1000, as well as a VFR, but I most assuradely haven't made up my mind.

post #12 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Gets censored

you'll probally get around 3k for the 9er.

With that said keep in mind it'll run forever.... is it worth 3k to sell it? not to me.

i was tempted with the z1000 also but glad i went with the 9er. If you want something different the sv1k wont disappoint, cool bikes indeed.

post #13 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Aquilifer

As an FYI, I just bought my mint-ish '02 919 with 4700 miles on it for $3k.

I'd price yours at $3500-3700 and see where it goes.

post #14 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
To be honest, I'm really just wanting to move onto something new. I can't afford true sport bike insurance, as I am only 22, so bikes within the "naked" genre really appeal to me. I'd like to sit on an SV1000, as well as a VFR, but I most assuradely haven't made up my mind.
how much is ur insurance currently? im 20 yrs old and have a lovely ticket for doing a burnout in my truck (big mistake) that cost me 2 pts and insurance on my 919 is only 207/yr and this is the first year i have been insured on this bike ... on my dads VTX 1800 it was 280 for the first year and would have been 140 a the next year but i switched to the 919. and on a brand new triumph Street triple it would have been 170 a year (priced it out when i was lookin at motorcycles).

This is through progressive (aka "Drive" insurance here in so cal).

If you want something real different... go look at some super motos. DRZ400 KTM690 SMC n the like... that would def be a fun change up from the 919.

post #15 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

When you list it, set the price a little high at say, $4200...that way you can let them talk you down into the range you'd find acceptable and the buyer gets to feel good about getting "a deal" too.

Good luck, and happy shopping!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #16 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
When you list it, set the price a little high at say, $4200...that way you can let them talk you down into the range you'd find acceptable and the buyer gets to feel good about getting "a deal" too.

Good luck, and happy shopping!
thats how i have always done selling usually works out quite well. Say i wanna sell a computer on craigslist for 100 bucks. Ill post a listing for 125 and say willing to talk about price... n settle for "less".

I will let you know that i bought my 919 in sept of 09 for 4200 bucks... it was a 2004 with 3600mi on it, with a dent on the right of the tank from an almost stopped lowside.

BTW KBB value is 3725 ... id say minus some of that for the "high" milage... but + some for the mods... thusly right around 3700 bucks is about right... try for 4k

post #17 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

There is a really nice Super Hawk on EBay right now. Just got done telling Murph about it. The black one from MN.

My 919 is super clean, and super nice. I'll probably never find anyone that thinks it's worth as much as I do. I may end up being the only idiot in existance to re-mod a bike.

post #18 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
There is a really nice Super Hawk on EBay right now. Just got done telling Murph about it. The black one from MN.

My 919 is super clean, and super nice. I'll probably never find anyone that thinks it's worth as much as I do. I may end up being the only idiot in existance to re-mod a bike.
Who's in the market for a SuperHawk?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #19 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Not exactly more power, but something a bit different, and still a Honda...
Honda : Interceptor : eBay Motors (item 200461388242 end time Apr-21-10 07:33:45 PDT)

post #20 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Scratch that, just spoke with insurance. For an '01 VFR, it is 123.83 a month for full coverage. I pay $27 on the 919, and I would pay 33.32 on an SV1000s

post #21 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Scratch that, just spoke with insurance. For an '01 VFR, it is 123.83 a month for full coverage. I pay $27 on the 919, and I would pay 33.32 on an SV1000s
OUCH.... why such a huge price increase? different clasification of bike (sport vs standard)?

post #22 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Apparently. She initially said it would be ~$25 but then checked some sort of (black) list and saw it was on there. Because it is on the list, it is roughly a hundred dollars more. It seems so silly. I ride a bike with more hp, more tq, but without a sporty name like "interceptor" and i pay next to nothing.

post #23 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Apparently. She initially said it would be ~$25 but then checked some sort of (black) list and saw it was on there. Because it is on the list, it is roughly a hundred dollars more. It seems so silly. I ride a bike with more hp, more tq, but without a sporty name like "interceptor" and i pay next to nothing.
through what insurance is that? Might i suggest you call up progressive, at the time when i rode my dads vtx1800 i had more coverage for less than he was paying... and i was just 18 yrs old at the time!

And make sure you CALL progressive... their online price quote is way off... got quoted a grand a year for my 919... called them n it was 208 / yr (17.33 a month).

I also must ask why full coverage, if you have health insurance that will cover you in case of a crash... and 95% of the time any damage to you or the bike will be your fault so why claim through the bike insurance just to have rates go up?

post #24 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
I rode a SV1N last Novemeber when we rented one for my brother over a weekend. Was loads of fun, but not as refined, bit of a hooligan bike (cheaper SD990). As what Sike said, skip the Gen1 Z1000, get a GenII if you can afford it. What about a FZ1? I think you guys can get the kit to convert it to a FZ1N:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0185b.jpg (51.1 KB, 12 views)

post #25 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
I rode a SV1N last Novemeber when we rented one for my brother over a weekend. Was loads of fun, but not as refined, bit of a hooligan bike (cheaper SD990). As what Sike said, skip the Gen1 Z1000, get a GenII if you can afford it. What about a FZ1? I think you guys can get the kit to convert it to a FZ1N:
Damn that bike looks good. And I agree, I like the Gen 2 quite a bit more, but they're too new for me to afford. Good call on the FZ1, it is another bike that fits the bill.

post #26 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Out of the bikes you've mentioned, I think the FZ1 might be your best bet. It's a far better machine than the 1st gen Z1000, more power than the 919 and handles better. I'll probably never sell my 919 since I have more in mods invested than what I paid for the bike, but I'm lucky enough to have other bikes in the garage so it's not my only ride these days.

post #27 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Le So Cal Troll

so what are you looking for another standard type bike like the 919... id hardly call that different IMO. But every bike plays different so go with what u want!

Ever thought of the Triumph Speed Triple?

post #28 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
so what are you looking for another standard type bike like the 919... id hardly call that different IMO. But every bike plays different so go with what u want!

I am not limited to a standard bike, however, it seems anything with fairings my insurance company doesn't like. Standards offer the power of full on sport bikes at a comfort and insurance level that I can handle. I can't change companies as I am limited by what my family is on.

post #29 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post

that or fz1 would be my choice. however there is something about vfr that calls me. I think vfr with reworked front suspension would be a hoot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode