How many of you ride in the rain.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Love Machine

How many of you ride in the rain....

First of all I love riding to work. With my new job I'll have a 40 minuite ride. My rule is I'll ride every day that I can as long as it's not pooring down rain when I leave my house. I dicided to install my rear fender. Dosen't look as good as the fender eliminator that I had but now it's function over looks....lol. Just sick of gettting sprayed when I'm riding in the rain. I have a rain suit, but the rain will still hit the back of my neck.

Here is before....

And now...

So how many of you ride in the rain?

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 PM

Down here during the summer months it rain just about every afternoon. As much as I like to ride I usually get caught once in awhile. The only thin that bothers me is the lack of driving skills from the cagers.

post #3 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 05:04 PM
MidTN9er

Nice ride, awarble. I have to agree with you on the looks thing, but if you are expecting to ride a lot in the rain, the fender will have to help with the rooster-tail effect from wet roads. To answer your question, if I know that the expectations for rain are 60% or higher, I just don't ride, otherwise I chance it when I can. I keep a rainsuit in my tailpack for work commuting just in case. Don't have the fender on my bike and have wondered about ways to cut back on the backwash too.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

I washed my bike this afternoon after doing a couple of sessions at Barber in the rain. It took about 2 hours to get in every nook and cranny.

I wont leave in the rain but can't help but get caught every now and then - it takes much more work to keep it detailed properly.

post #5 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 06:09 PM

My wife says she loves the feel of road grime in her hair after we get caught in the rain. I only ride 25 miles each way to work every day that I can and once a week 100 miles each way to my part time job. I'm to stubborn to put the fender back on, but you do what you gotta..................

post #6 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Love Machine

Yea, the fender was the first thing to go when I got the bike. Function over looks, who would have thought....lol....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #7 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I don't take too much pride in my bike's appearance, so I ride in pretty much any weather. I just have rules about temperature and rain. If it's raining but below 75, I'm not riding. If it's above 30 and dry, I'll ride.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #8 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

It's my ride to work every day rain or storm.The only time I wake the other half for the cage is if the roads are icing over.Note falling snow does not equal freezing roads but it does make it quite intresting!

Speaking of which Friday I got hailed on did not see that one coming this being the middle of May and such.

post #9 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 PM
cyclerider105

No riding in the rain for me. I've gotten caught a couple of times, but I don't want to clean all the crap off!

post #10 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I like rain riding, but yeah the cleanup is a drag. Best thing to do is get it a bit dirty, and then you don't have to feel bad about going out and really cooking the grime on.

post #11 of 29 Old 05-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

I'll weigh in here. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I can ride in rain just fine. I go slow, turn slow.. ride like a complete wuss. However, I work from home.. so when I throw a leg over it's because I want to... and rain completely destroys my trailer queen .. so unless I get caught.. no way! I will never again voluntarily go out in the rain. Not until I can convince someone else to clean it from top to bottom as soon as I get home. Maybe I need some kids? Back in a bit.. gotta find the wife.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #12 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Milites Gregarius

I don't usually ride in the rain on purpose, however, back in March my buddy and I did a weekend trip and we had to ride in the rain a lot one day. I don't care for it.

The 919 looks much better with the fender than the 03 SV650 I had did. The rear fender on that thing goes nearly halfway to the ground. It's affectionately called "the snow shovel". I'm leaving the fender on my 919.

post #13 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Milites Gregarius

When I got my first bike I missed about two weeks of beautiful riding because the weather channel was calling for rain. I decided then that if it was warm and dry when I left home I was riding no matter what. I've been caught a few times but I just take back roads home so I can take it slow and not be run over by idiot cagers. As long as it is warm I don't mind the rain.

post #14 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda Addict

I always watch the news or check weather online. If it's more than a 60-70% chance I'm taking the truck. Don't much care for riding in the rain. Makes too big of a mess to clean off later. Plus, road spray from cagers is a biatch! The Pilot Powers did great the couple of times I've been caught in it tho.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #15 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Immune

I will ride in the rain but if it is pouring at the house before I leave I won't ride. Don't mind getting wet when out riding but just getting the bike and be soaked before getting on the road I don't like. Also I ride as much as I can to work. Don't like to get my Kakies and polo shirt wet on the way to work so if it is raining I don't ride but here if Florida most rain comes in the afternoon's so I don't mind getting wet on the way home.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #16 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Dark8

If you live in the PNW you either ride in the rain or only ride 4 or 5 months out of the year. I ride year round and I've definately learned how to dress for riding in 40 degree temperature and rain. Gloves with the wiper built into the thumb and FogCity shields are a must.

post #17 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I'm in that 4 or 5 month window as well. Don't really like riding in the rain but will do so if caught.

post #18 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 08:37 AM

Rain or shine every day to work, but like tvetree not in the ice and snow. I got caught this winter, it was about 3 below freezing then it started to rain. Needless to say the rain froze as soon as it hit the road ... which was just before I did. I dress right for it and enjoy myself. Oh yah.. and I wash my bike about 2-3 times a year whether it needs it or not.

post #19 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Sweepuk

I don't mind riding in the rain as such (got to as over here in the UK it rains lots of the time) but it's the bike cleaning that it creates that bugs me. I am a guy who likes a shiny bike. I have a 100 mile a day commute (50 each way) so end up riding in the rain some days but not through choice. If the weather forecast is for lots of rain it's the car for me and get stuck in all the traffic jams. The thing is if I go by car it takes me and hour and 3/4 each way but by bike it's an hour - big incentive.

post #20 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 AM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Not only do I ride in the rain, I race in the rain!

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #21 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 09:58 AM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase

Unfortunately, I also crash in the rain!

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #22 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Love Machine

Dave, what tire would you recommend for doing a track day in the rain. Looks like I'll be going to Grattan in late summer. Just thought I should get some rain tires incase it raining that day. Would feel real iffy doing a track day on street tires....I'm sure it would be great practice though.....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #23 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarble
Dave, what tire would you recommend for doing a track day in the rain. Looks like I'll be going to Grattan in late summer. Just thought I should get some rain tires incase it raining that day. Would feel real iffy doing a track day on street tires....I'm sure it would be great practice though.....
Well, if you know it is going to rain all day and there will be puddles on the track, you can not beat full blown rain tires. Its amazing how much grip they give you. Problem with them is, if it dries out, they start to melt really fast as soon as they get hot. They get very greasy and loose lots of grip.

If it is just damp>dry, DOT's work very well. I am talking DOT street, not DOT Race. Most of the street tires have a higher level of Silica in them I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) and therefore offer more grip in the wet than the DOT race. Also they tend to have more tread towards the outer edges of the tire where a DOT race will have the minimum amount of tread to make it DOT legal.

Bridgestone make an excellent DOT Street tire that offers plenty of traction in the wet. So does Pirelli/Metzeller. I have not used Dunlops or Michellins so I can not vouch for them. Just remember if you change manufactures, your suspension settings might need to changed due to tire diameter/profile.

I'll tell you what doesnt work: Slicks that have had treads cut in them with a tire iron to resemble intermediate rain tires! (See picture above)

-Dave

post #24 of 29 Old 05-15-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Love Machine

Thanks for the info dave, I appreciate it.......

Hopefully it will be nice and dry.......

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #25 of 29 Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Czar919

Rain Ridders/ Foul Weather Ridders

I live in Miami Fl and I keep my rain gear handy at all times. I even rode in all of the Hurricanes that hit here last year. The sketchy part isn't the rain, hell I'll ride in that every day, the true test is ridding in the rain with 75+mph winds. Now were ridding. Hell I've been mulling over the thought of starting a ridding club for the rain, only I figure most everyone would just call me crazyer than they already do. Any thoughts?

post #26 of 29 Old 05-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar919
I live in Miami Fl and I keep my rain gear handy at all times. I even rode in all of the Hurricanes that hit here last year. The sketchy part isn't the rain, hell I'll ride in that every day, the true test is ridding in the rain with 75+mph winds. Now were ridding. Hell I've been mulling over the thought of starting a ridding club for the rain, only I figure most everyone would just call me crazyer than they already do. Any thoughts?
Uhh...We agree. You're crazy.

Welcome to the forum!

post #27 of 29 Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

125 miles tonight. The last 25 were in the rain. I liked it just because I got to ride.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #28 of 29 Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar919
Any thoughts?
"Riding". Only thought. Sorry.

Gas is expensive, my driving record is terrible and I can't afford more than liability on my blazer (which eats gas anyway.) I ride the bike rain or snow, or hail (thrice) if I have to be somewhere out of town. Best investment I ever made was a rainsuit. I've been unfortunate enough to plan two 2+ hour trips in the last two weeks on days that were pure rain, and with the suit I barely knew the difference, excepting spray from cars on the interstate, which were passed soon enough. Now, rain plus cold (less than 50 or so) makes for an uncomfortable ride, but still worth it when I factor in gas costs.

You spent thousands on a bike, spend the 70-120 dollars on a rainsuit. They make riding in the wet an enjoyable experience, as long as you're not silly enough to call your bike a "trailer queen", that is. Wet riding may upset you, in that case.

post #29 of 29 Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Removed User 1

I love to ride, and I love the rain, but I will not ride in the rain. I am the chicken sitten under the bridge. Maybe after I get my skills up I will take some chances, and maybe not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode