How many hours can you ride without your ass hurting? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

How many hours can you ride without your ass hurting?

Just got back from a longer ride today (4+ hours total). I'm still on the stock seat on my 919, and I honestly can't ride for more than 2 hours at a time without my ass really starting to hurt. I hear a lot of you guys say that the stock seat is great compared to a lot of other bikes, but damn, I really want to upgrade. How long can you guys ride without it hurting the rest of the day?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

i won't ride for longer than about an hour and a half, or maybe two hours between breaks, but as long as you take ten or fifteen minutes for every tank of gas youy'll stay fresh enough to go for 8 or ten hours...that's the key, though...take strategic breaks & rest stops. it will save your aching hiney, and it will also let you work out the fatigue that builds up from droning down the road.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
i won't ride for longer than about an hour and a half, or maybe two hours between breaks, but as long as you take ten or fifteen minutes for every tank of gas youy'll stay fresh enough to go for 8 or ten hours...that's the key, though...take strategic breaks & rest stops. it will save your aching hiney, and it will also let you work out the fatigue that builds up from droning down the road.
x10.

plus drink water when you ride. not soda as it just dehydrates you even more.

post #4 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

I do that to no avail. It was two hours down and two back, with a break at about an hour each way. Maybe I just have a soft hiney.

post #5 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM
yzarc mi os

Depends on what I wear and How I prepare. I ride the bike more than I drive the truck when there isn't snow or threat of ice. I've ridden for 8 hours with breaks no problem on the butt area in my winter gear do to extras padding and I've had my butt hurting less than an hour into a ride when I throw a bunch of sit up's into my morning routine.

Oddly to me at least i don't get near as soar on the days I stick to my work out routine as I do when I don't I think it has alot to do with the blood flow and stretching involve. Coarse sit ups are normally left to night for the aforementioned butt sourness it causes.

I wold like a better seat than stock something more contouring and more stylish.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #6 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Well, my butt doesn't hurt when riding the 919, but my knees can't seem to go more than 45min to an hour at the max. Actually, I find the stocker nice compared to the Corbin I have, which I've sold back to brian. I'd take the stock anyday.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #7 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 08:52 PM
lusting over something...

I find I get about 90 miles before I start shifting around in my stock seat. Getting a sheepskin for my seat bumped that to just short of a full tank.

post #8 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Aquilifer

I just rode about 380 miles today ( my longest day yet on my still-sorta-new-to-me-919 ), and I thought the seat was OK... but I did start to get a bit sore a couple hours in.

What I do wonder ( as mentioned above ) is if a little more legroom would help the situation; lowering the pegs would be a no-no, so maybe a slightly taller saddle?

post #9 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I was able to log a few 14+ hour days on my 919 after I devised a cheap set of hwy pegs so I could change my seating position on the bike. Much of the potential comfort of any seat comes from your ability to move upon it and change your posture. Some seats offer more movement than others.

I'll take a large hard seat that offers numerous positions over being locked into a single spot on a plusher unit....

post #10 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
I find I get about 90 miles before I start shifting around in my stock seat. Getting a sheepskin for my seat bumped that to just short of a full tank.
Something like this?
Universal Sheepskin Motorcycle Seat Cover MD RS Buttpad: eBay Motors (item 160337494724 end time Jul-18-10 15:18:49 PDT)

Another question, I've got about 31k miles on my bike, about 10k of which are mine. I'm by no means a large guy, but could the foam possibly be shot? Does that even happen or am I looking for excuses for being whiny?

post #11 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
I was able to log a few 14+ hour days on my 919 after I devised a cheap set of hwy pegs so I could change my seating position on the bike. Much of the potential comfort of any seat comes from your ability to move upon it and change your posture. Some seats offer more movement than others.

I'll take a large hard seat that offers numerous positions over being locked into a single spot on a plusher unit....
+1 to being able to move around. I'll get sore about 1.5 to 2 hours in. Before that happens, I move to the wider back part of the seat to redistribute some weight.

post #12 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickonwheels View Post
Another question, I've got about 31k miles on my bike, about 10k of which are mine. I'm by no means a large guy, but could the foam possibly be shot? Does that even happen or am I looking for excuses for being whiny?
My stock seat sucks, seems to be getting worse but that could just be me.. I've got 20k, theres not a lot of foam in these things and the foam thats there is soft so I've never heard of it but I imagine it would break down over time???

post #13 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm tempted to chop up a tempurpedic pillow to put in the ass area, maybe a little on the tank to save the nads a bit as well (I slide in my seat a lot, no matter how hard I squeeze the tank) I've done 280mi days and as someone else mentioned my knees start to hurt worse than my ass. I guess I've gotten used to the seat, as a 2hr ride used to leave me with monkeybutt. My knees did better with the stock rearsets as opposed to the Sato's that are on it now. Unfortunately, the Sato's wont let me drop them to stock height. I'm considering having something machined that will let me get back to stock height and hopefully let me keep the forward/rear adjustment but I haven't taken the time to sit down and really think it through how to get that done.

post #14 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 PM
lusting over something...

Pretty much the same thing -only difference I could notice is that mine has a single strap with helmet style 'D' rings sewn to each side. I picked mine up in northern Ontario just outside of Dryden at a sheep farm/tourist thing. $60 was well spent for the rest of my trip.

Also, my CB650 is infinitely more comfortable than my 919. I have about 100,000kms on that bikes seat since I had it reupholstered. Difference is the shape of the pan I would think.

Only thing I could recommend is make sure the cover goes over the edge of the seat on the rear. I find thats the most significant pinch point for me.

Quote:
Something like this?
Universal Sheepskin Motorcycle Seat Cover MD RS Buttpad: eBay Motors (item 160337494724 end time Jul-18-10 15:18:49 PDT)

post #15 of 40 Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've done back to back 700+ mile days on the 9er. Corbin saddle. I also find it helps tremendously to wear something that doesn't have seams in it. I have some bike shorts that I wear, no underwear, and my gear doesn't have seams. Anything with seams (like underwear briefs) in the butt area will cause discomfort after awhile.

I couldn't stand the stock seat.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #16 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

[QUOTE=The Shadow;404226]i won't ride for longer than about an hour and a half, or maybe two hours between breaks, but as long as you take ten or fifteen minutes for every tank of gas youy'll stay fresh enough to go for 8 or ten hours...that's the key, though...take strategic breaks & rest stops. it will save your aching hiney, and it will also let you work out the fatigue that builds up from droning down the road.

+1, I'll ride up to 2 1/2 hrs or so and take a break for a stretch and a bottle of water. /

post #17 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Discen

The longest I was on the stock 919 seat was one day I put 950kms on in a day, mind you that was with breaks from time to time but not many.. I pretty sore after that. the stock seat is good, but not great.

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #18 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Airhawk Parts and Accessories from J&P Cycles

Don't have one yet, but this is the route I'm going to go.

Folded a towel once. Gave me more saddle time by a bit and a tad more leg room. 1-2 hrs max right now.

post #19 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If you're going touring, you may want to look into a Corbin.

For the rest of us, just ride standing up once in a while. Or you could get a tall skinny black Austrian bike. They're really comfy.

post #20 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I rode a 320 mile day in about 7.5 hours in May. The longest stint between stops was about 2.5 hours. That was pushing the envelop of the time/comfort threshold. No problems. Try shifting around a little and stand a little to let some air flow under your butt.

I'm on a stock 2006 seat.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #21 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

715 miles @ 13.5 hrs. deals gap to home

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #22 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Discen

the hours and distance for me between stops is dependent on what i am riding. interstate 200 miles kill me or if i am running backroads then 6 + hours no problem

post #23 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

I can ride until the low fuel light comes on and the bike beckons me to seek out a pit stop. The spencer seat mod made a world of difference.

My longest day in the saddle was from Manhattan, KS to Zanesville, OH(835miles) on my '81 Wing, but I was 15 years younger then.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #24 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
I can ride until the low fuel light comes on and the bike beckons me to seek out a pit stop. The spencer seat mod made a world of difference.

My longest day in the saddle was from Manhattan, KS to Zanesville, OH(835miles) on my '81 Wing, but I was 15 years younger then.

Doc
*blink*blink*

post #25 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I do that to no avail. It was two hours down and two back, with a break at about an hour each way. Maybe I just have a soft hiney.

It gets easier the more often you do it...your butt will toughen up a bit with the practice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I also find it helps tremendously to wear something that doesn't have seams in it. I have some bike shorts that I wear, no underwear, and my gear doesn't have seams. Anything with seams (like underwear briefs) in the butt area will cause discomfort after awhile.
This helps A LOT. I often go commando under my riding pants for this reason...but bike shorts would maybe be a good idea too

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #26 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Tirone

I did 250+ miles from Philly to CT in early March once. Layered up quite a bit because it never got above 35 F, and I think my underlayers did a lot of good for my but simply because of the seam issue. I moved a lot in my seat because after a while on the highway, the buzz gets my right hand numb and my back was stiff. The latter only happened on this trip and I think it was due to the temps. Only thing bringing me to stop on that trip was heading in for the bathroom (a lot of water and coffee), and gas.
In the summer, tho, I have to stop more. The sweat and squirming because of the heat causes discomfort, and droning on the highway makes it worse rather than twisty country roads.

post #27 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

buy a camel back to drink while riding helps a lot. My longest day in the saddle ever was 14 hours on the road. Each gas stop was 10-15 minutes and ate twice for 30 minutes each time. Riding that long is not fun.

my last road trip with my father was 1600 miles in 3 days. seemed like as we did was ride.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #28 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

A Pain in the butt?

Problem Solved.

Oh, and I use the Under Armor shorts...

post #29 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Batman

The major problem I find is the vibration, heat, and pressure points. Its my mid back that takes the beating, not to mention instead of resting on your butt...I'm holding and using muscles in my inner thigh more. Relaxing on a sport bike isn't my nature, and the constant angle my lower legs are at causes the blood to not flow as well, which causes the pressure points to hurt more. *I believe anyways*

I've come to the conclusion that its not my "butt" that needs the conditioning, it's my inner thighs and tailbone (from that wonderful stock shock). I've tried all sorts of foam padding tests for my 919 since my 1400 miles trip in 3 days...and the one thing that I found that helps the most is more support to the front of my inner thighs. But that won't help everyone since everyone's stance is a bit different.

I've looked into the kontour seats and posed the question earlier on the forum, no one seems to want to take the plunge or hasn't tested them yet. Not a big deal, but of all the seat options I've looked into, these seem like the best bang for the buck. I do know that if I get fresh air on the area it helps a lot (standing up a bit). I too would like to raise the seat for those mono-tone highway hours.

I know it sounds off but if you keep your back straighter, focus on more elbow control (don't have them outward so much to relax your upper shoulders), shift your weight to where you 'normally' place it (near the tail bone instead of near your crotch) you can tackle another hour on the highway. The bad side of that is the leg portion, it's not comfy for your knees.

D if you do, D if you don't...

I'm going to look into two stiffer foam panels that support my legs "inward" and allow fresh air to flow through...instead of my butts "outward" tendency with no air circulation. I'll report back some day...

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #30 of 40 Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Most I've done is about 8-10 hours. I tried to match rest stops with fuel stops in the past, but find that its better to rest every hour, have a drink and give your brain a break.

post #31 of 40 Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

I believe I'm going to be purchasing some Saddlemen's gel pads for me and my back seat in hopes of alleviating everything in an economical manner. I'll be putting them inside the seat when time allows as I've seen others do here.

post #32 of 40 Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

for long jaunts, i rest my feet on my sliders

post #33 of 40 Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Tesserarius

I tend not to notice any pain when Im rideing with the guys at a hair on fire pace...lol

But honestly I got a sheepskin pad on my bike and normaly do 300+ mile days with no problems. I wear feildsheer motorcycle pants with under armor underneath them.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #34 of 40 Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I guess weather is a big factor for me, but I'm older and fatter than most of you.

I'll go 90minutes maybe two hours tops. Staying fresh keeps me focused.

When I was young buck I rode an R6 from central Ca to Seattle up I-5 only stopping for gas. 1,000 miles in 13 hours,

post #35 of 40 Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
just ride it...

its just something you'll build up to. I can ride the 6 hours from Knoxville to my folks place in evansville, in only stopping for fuel. But, I've been riding regularly for the last 13 years...

post #36 of 40 Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Strengthen your back muscles

I work in front of a computer all day - had the same issue - extreme back pain when sitting for any extended period of time.

Skipped the chiropractor and went straight to physical therapy. They told me simply that my back muscles were weak and couldn't support my upper body weight (I'm not overweight, I'm actually 20 lbs under).

So I hit the gym. Squats, ab workouts, twists (like swinging a golf club, only pulling weights and going in reverse), and back presses (leaning back into a weight).

Needless to say, I can sit with GOOD posture for 8+ hours now. And with slight shifting in the bike every 30 minutes or so, I can go for over 5 hours with no soreness the next day.

Get them muscles stronger and you won't have fatigue so quickly.

post #37 of 40 Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Not to sound like a pompous ass (although I probably am), but I work out every day, am young, and what most people would say as pretty fit. It isn't so much a back pain, but rather a bottom of my hip bone pain.

post #38 of 40 Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

After 4 back surgeries, I bought the 9er for the comfort of the ride.
Now the seat is starting to show it is not up to par for me, so I now have
a Corbin Saddle on it's way, it is a used one, but in like new condition so
I will give it a try, and if it is worse than staock, then I will sell it and try
the Seargent or one of the others that rebuild the stock seat.

As of now, I am only good for about 2 hours in the saddle, and that is pushing it!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #39 of 40 Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

12-16 hours

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #40 of 40 Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Optio

I did 18 hours in the past. When the seat/bike was newer.
Towards the end of the 9ers life a few hours was all I could stand. The seat was about at plush as a GM dash board for the early 90s. So then I put an airhawk on the bike and bam! Time is of no relavance. I could go all day if I could stay awake.

On the 1000. I did 11 hours, but that was past my limit. I'd rather not do it again, airhawk or not.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode