Houston to San Diego in October? Am I insane? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Houston to San Diego in October? Am I insane?

Got a business trip to San Diego in late October. I'm toying with the idea of making it on the niner. I would not be able to do that straight through (I'm too old for that anymore).

I've got a windshield and some hard luggage. Wish I had a better seat.

What would the weather be like then? I know it gets cold in the desert at night.

Am I crazy?

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
Got a business trip to San Diego in late October. I'm toying with the idea of making it on the niner. I would not be able to do that straight through (I'm too old for that anymore).

I've got a windshield and some hard luggage. Wish I had a better seat.

What would the weather be like then? I know it gets cold in the desert at night.

Am I crazy?

David
We're all crazy or else we wouldn't be here! I say go for it.

post #3 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
We're all crazy or else we wouldn't be here! I say go for it.

+1 We are just crazy enough to encourage this type of thing.

post #4 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Approx 3000 mile round trip - I say do it if you don't have to rush. You'll likely be able to ride fewer miles each day than the day before. I'd plan 5 days each way and definitely schedule a deep tissue massage and chiropractic adjustment once in San Diego before you start home.

post #5 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

also, if you're serious about doing it I can give you some more helpful pointers I picked up after doing 1600 miles roundtrip last weekend.

post #6 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Approx 3000 mile round trip - I say do it if you don't have to rush. You'll likely be able to ride fewer miles each day than the day before. I'd plan 5 days each way and definitely schedule a deep tissue massage and chiropractic adjustment once in San Diego before you start home.
TEN DAYS JET ?!?!

post #7 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Might sound like alot but I took 2 days to go 800 miles up, 1 day off, then 2 days 800 miles back and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. And that was on the BMW which is far better suited to distance riding than a 919. If you plan on 5 and it only takes you 4 then great, but an extra day buffer will be appreciated if needed.

post #8 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Might sound like alot but I took 2 days to go 800 miles up, 1 day off, then 2 days 800 miles back and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. And that was on the BMW which is far better suited to distance riding than a 919. If you plan on 5 and it only takes you 4 then great, but an extra day buffer will be appreciated if needed.
I am curios... how long would you think a car trip would take from LA to say Jennings?

post #9 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

2350 miles each way - about 34 hours drive time each way. Realistically you could do it in 3 long days with minimal stops but in a cage is completely different.

post #10 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I did Houston to Panama City, FL and after I got lost it was like 650 miles in one day. And I could have gone further. That was before I got the windshield and luggage.

If I do it, it will be 2 days each way. 800 miles day 1, 700 miles day 2.

My biggest enemy is monkeybutt. I've got a cheap but functional throttle lock I got at cyclegear. I've got an MP3 player that I usually load with audiobooks for the way out.
David

post #11 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

you're a better man than I. 11 hours on the bike not counting stops for hydration/dehydration is a lot of saddletime.

post #12 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
2350 miles each way - about 34 hours drive time each way. Realistically you could do it in 3 long days with minimal stops but in a cage is completely different.
So.... 3 days each way?

post #13 of 22 Old 09-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You don't have a hair on you a$$ if you don't do it. Course, with a stock seat, you won't have a hair on your a$$ if you do it.
I've done 2100 miles in three days on the 9er. Three very looooonnnnnng days. Even slabbing it it's hard to average over 70 miles an hour stopping for fuel every 170 miles.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 05:37 AM
DaveCB919F4

I once rode 960 miles in 11 hours and it's work. Flat out for an hour stop, gas, and go. My advise is to UPS as much of your luggage as possible. Tons of stuff hanging off the back of a bike ruins the sport.

post #15 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Unbannable

Do it! At least you'll have bragging rights and if you don't you'll regret it.

Just be sure to pack snow pants for the cold night rides.

Some electric clothing would be nice I'm sure. If you can't hook that up, buy some chemical heat packs at a sporting goods store.

Might want to stuff one down your shorts :-)

post #16 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 AM
DaveCB919F4

He's do it. Even if you never do it again you'll be able to say did once. Riding in the cold is all about chill factors. I used cut up plastic milk bottles zip tied to the bars to keep my hands warmer.

post #17 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 06:46 AM
DaveCB919F4

Intended to say, He's right do it.

post #18 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 02:08 PM
rider

i did atlanta to l.a. in 4 days. averaged 560 miles a day. really not a bad ride. you do have to pace yourself. and drink plenty of fluids. you get dehydrated riding through the desert without realizing it.

houston to san diego sounds like a two day. long days yes but doable.

on my ride to l.a. we would leave early, like 6 am and be in a hotel by 6 pm. stopping every 100 to 120 miles for about 15 or 20 minutes and taking a leisurely lunch break. no sense pushing it, takes all the fun out of the ride.

post #19 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post
i did atlanta to l.a. in 4 days. averaged 560 miles a day. really not a bad ride. you do have to pace yourself. and drink plenty of fluids. you get dehydrated riding through the desert without realizing it.

houston to san diego sounds like a two day. long days yes but doable.

on my ride to l.a. we would leave early, like 6 am and be in a hotel by 6 pm. stopping every 100 to 120 miles for about 15 or 20 minutes and taking a leisurely lunch break. no sense pushing it, takes all the fun out of the ride.
Um.. 560 miles a day? Not pushing it? screw that! 400 Miles a day is pushing it. I'm getting too old to "push it" .. wait.. that didn't come out right.

Anyway, when I was 20 years old I rode my 1981 Yamaha XS650 from Seattle, WA to SLC, UT and back to Seattle on a 3 day weekend. Like 1600 miles. Left Seattle 9 am Friday morning... got back to Seattle at about 6 AM Monday morning. It was middle of March. I almost died from exposure and it is by far the stupidest thing I ever did. That said.. it was a sweet piece of tail..
No way I'd do that now. Older, wiser, less horny? Whatever the reason? Oh.. but faced with the choice of doing it again or having to take a bus for the same trip.. um.. I think I would ride.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #20 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
That said.. it was a sweet piece of tail..
No way I'd do that now. Older, wiser, less horny? Whatever the reason? Oh.. but faced with the choice of doing it again or having to take a bus for the same trip.. um.. I think I would ride.

Just Less Horny. Cure it with a Blue Pill, and use a Blue can to give you wings for another ride!

post #21 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post

Pushing it takes the fun out, that's for sure. Anything over 600 miles a day becomes work. After a while you kinda get in a groove, and it gets a little easier if you have a destination goal each day. I did 700 a day for three days in a row. As tiring as it was, when I woke up the fourth morning it was disappointing to not have anywhere to ride to.

Planning on an Iron Butt run next year.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #22 of 22 Old 09-22-2006, 02:59 PM

I've found that any time I drive instead of ride, I tend to regret not riding. Even if it's a short run across town. I say go for it, and enjoy a leisurely pace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode