Hotter Thermostat Install + Questions - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By marylandmike
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-24-2015, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 1
 
Hotter Thermostat Install + Questions

Recently got around to installing the hotter temperature thermostat on my 2007 919 in an effort to get rid of the infamous exhaust stink.

I based my reasons for doing this install on marylandmike's findings in this thread here [Link], hoping that I too would experience less exhaust stink, or even cure it completely!

I purchased the Stant Superstat 45849 thermostat which is rated at 195 degrees Fahrenheit. The stock thermostat is 180 degrees Fahrenheit

My install was slightly more complicated than what marylandmike experienced as seen below:

The stock thermostat (left) and new thermostat (right) - note they are quite different in size:



Using a dremel, I removed small portions of the thermostat at a time to try to get it to fit in the housing, however no matter how much I removed (and I ended up removing a lot more than what marylandmike did) it still would not fit. This was due to the left over casting protrusions inside the thermostat housing getting in the way. Each individual bike may vary on the specific lengths/shapes of the casting pieces.

Casting pieces in the way:



I ended up having to remove the internal casting pieces in the thermostat housing for the new thermostat to fit in. Using a screwdriver and carefully applying leverage to the piece, it bent and then snapped off cleanly.



Once I removed the casting pieces, the thermostat slotted straight in and fit perfectly. I am planning on purchasing another identical thermostat which I haven't removed so much off with the dremel, as I do not want the modified thermostat currently in the bike to fail over time due to the thermostat itself being structurally weaker. With the casting pieces removed, the higher temperature thermostat should fit in without needing to be dremeled down.




Now to the questions...

Here is where I am confused - for the first few days of usage after putting in the higher temperature thermostat, the bike ran hotter (according to my temperature gauge) and the exhaust smell had a noticeable improvement - it wasn't as strong, I was no longer smelling it at stoplights etc. However, after a few days the running temperature of the bike seems to be back to where it was pre-thermostat change - also the fan kicks in earlier than it did previously and the stink smell is back to how it was. Has the bike's computer automatically compensated for the increased temperature and is trying to cool it down sooner? Has topping up the coolant with newer liquid increased it's cooling effectiveness?

Here is a comparison of the temperature gauges before, immediately after the change, and current on my bike. Running temperature = bike has warmed up and riding around without stopping frequently (traffic lights, intersections etc.). Click on the image below to zoom in and see the readings clearer, or right click and select "View image in new tab".


The End is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 11-24-2015, 05:06 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Your results are the same as mine except that mine didn't revert back. It will run closer to the "C" Mark in really cold weather, but not change in the stink level. Looks like your weather shouldn't be a factor now.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the ECU actually does much to control the coolant temperature but only makes changes in fueling in reaction to the temp. I wonder if for some reason your new thermostat is sticking open. It may be worth popping another one in and try it. Or you can test the old one in a pot of water on the stove to see if it's working right.

Glad to hear that it did seem to affect the stink levels. Hope you can get it sorted out!
The End likes this.

marylandmike is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 11-24-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Your results are the same as mine except that mine didn't revert back. It will run closer to the "C" Mark in really cold weather, but not change in the stink level. Looks like your weather shouldn't be a factor now.

I wonder if for some reason your new thermostat is sticking open.
Temperature here most days is around the 18-23*c mark or 64-74*F for you Americans.

I too am wondering if removing so much of the new thermostat has weakened the frame, and it is sticking open. A new unmodified thermostat should help clear this up.

The End is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 11-24-2015, 08:39 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)
 
andrewebay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,883
Rep Power: 1
 
Does Honda make direct replacements in higher temps?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
andrewebay1 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 11-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Does Honda make direct replacements in higher temps?
They might but it like looking for a needle in a haystack. Most of the parts lists don't show the temp or size.

marylandmike is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
it like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Is TWSS? Bahaha!

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Is TWSS? Bahaha!
Lol, why come to think of it she did!

marylandmike is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 1
 
So I took out the first hotter thermostat today as it was very weak from filing it down so much. I replaced it with the same Stant Superstat 45849 thermostat however this time I did not need to file it down at all - it slotted straight in.

I am still getting a lower temperature reading on my gauge than the stock thermostat which doesn't make sense...

Does the ECU account for running temperatures and adjust the fan coming on?

Explanation - right click on the image and choose "Open in New Tab" to view it larger.


The End is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)
 
andrewebay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,883
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
So I took out the first hotter thermostat today as it was very weak from filing it down so much. I replaced it with the same Stant Superstat 45849 thermostat however this time I did not need to file it down at all - it slotted straight in.
Same model but no cutting necessary?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
andrewebay1 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Same model but no cutting necessary?
Correct.

Same model as the first hotter thermostat I installed, however as I had removed the castings, the new (same model one) slotted right in with no modifications required.

The End is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 08:39 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)
 
andrewebay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,883
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post

Correct.

Same model as the first hotter thermostat I installed, however as I had removed the castings, the new (same model one) slotted right in with no modifications required.
Just reread your first post, I don't think I have it in me to try and leverage a piece of the engine off inside the cooling system. Yikes

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
andrewebay1 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post

Correct.

Same model as the first hotter thermostat I installed, however as I had removed the castings, the new (same model one) slotted right in with no modifications required.
Did a different thermostat do any better for you?

marylandmike is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Just reread your first post, I don't think I have it in me to try and leverage a piece of the engine off inside the cooling system. Yikes
It really didn't take a lot of effort to remove those pieces. I stuffed a bit of paper towel in behind it to catch the piece when it came off so it didn't go deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Did a different thermostat do any better for you?
No change at all.... like I posted in the above photo. It just doesn't make sense!

It ran hotter for a week and then went back to normal...?

The End is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 1
 
Bit of an update here:

After having the hotter thermostat on now for a few weeks, I am pleased to say I have noticed a significant improvement in the 'exhaust stink', to the extent that when I now smell my tailbag, it does not smell of the exhaust stink smell any longer.

Couple of things to note here:

  • When I removed the thermostat, a small amount of coolant fluid leaked out during the removal process. I did not replace this fluid, as the main coolant reservoir and reserve tank had plenty of fluid in there already. Because of this, the fan now comes on a little bit more often at the same temperature reading as previous, indicating it is not overheating - this is generally only in 50km/h or less stop and goes (traffic lights etc.)
  • When I first start the bike from cold and for the first 5 minutes or so, I do still get a little bit of a 'stink' - however after recently changing my oil, it now smells more of the fragranced oil (Motul 5100 10w-40.) than the previous 'exhaust stink' smell.


Summary:

Hotter thermostat as first (I think?) discovered by Marylandmike has reduced the exhaust stink significantly. I had one of (in my opinion anyway) the worst exhaust stink 919s. I would have to let the garage air out for 10-15 minutes after a ride, keep all of my riding gear and bags in a seperate room and my partner would have to wear a balaclava under her helmet to tuck her hair in, so it didn't get coated in the exhaust stink.

While I still do these things out of habit, I no longer notice such a terrible smell on my gear, bags or partner's hair.

The End is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Tirone
 
dennisgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Maplewood
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 1
 
I have a stock 2007 919 and have never noticed any exhaust stink at all. This seems weird to me since so many have reported this problem. Maybe my smeller isn't working right.

2007 CB900F 919
2009 GS500F
2004 Honda Trike
2000 Honda Sabre 1100
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan
1975 Norton 850 Commando
1967 Triumph Bonneville
1987 CBR600 Hurricane RR Conversion
1990 CBR600 Hurricane White Gray
1988 CBR600 Hurricane Red Black
dennisgb is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 07:39 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
Bit of an update here:

After having the hotter thermostat on now for a few weeks, I am pleased to say I have noticed a significant improvement in the 'exhaust stink', to the extent that when I now smell my tailbag, it does not smell of the exhaust stink smell any longer.

Couple of things to note here:

  • When I removed the thermostat, a small amount of coolant fluid leaked out during the removal process. I did not replace this fluid, as the main coolant reservoir and reserve tank had plenty of fluid in there already. Because of this, the fan now comes on a little bit more often at the same temperature reading as previous, indicating it is not overheating - this is generally only in 50km/h or less stop and goes (traffic lights etc.)
  • When I first start the bike from cold and for the first 5 minutes or so, I do still get a little bit of a 'stink' - however after recently changing my oil, it now smells more of the fragranced oil (Motul 5100 10w-40.) than the previous 'exhaust stink' smell.


Summary:

Hotter thermostat as first (I think?) discovered by Marylandmike has reduced the exhaust stink significantly. I had one of (in my opinion anyway) the worst exhaust stink 919s. I would have to let the garage air out for 10-15 minutes after a ride, keep all of my riding gear and bags in a seperate room and my partner would have to wear a balaclava under her helmet to tuck her hair in, so it didn't get coated in the exhaust stink.

While I still do these things out of habit, I no longer notice such a terrible smell on my gear, bags or partner's hair.
Glad it's working out for you too.

Stinky Lives Matter!

marylandmike is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 04-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Illegitimi non carborundu
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manvel
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 1
 
Just guessing here but when I changed mine (did not modify head casting..you sure are brave!) I saw that the temp probe could interfere with the spring on the thermostat unless it was oriented just right. That's why the Honda one is offset down on the flange. The fins are to keep it from rotating and having that happen. Hypothetical: the spring was contacting the probe and catching and thermostat was not fully closing, hence the cooler temp. I have been pondering not breaking the fin/tab off but just shortening it a bit. Then there are those pesky aluminum shavings that might be very hard to remove from the cooling system...goodby expensive water pump?

windrider919 is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 04-16-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider919 View Post
Just guessing here but when I changed mine (did not modify head casting..you sure are brave!) I saw that the temp probe could interfere with the spring on the thermostat unless it was oriented just right. That's why the Honda one is offset down on the flange. The fins are to keep it from rotating and having that happen. Hypothetical: the spring was contacting the probe and catching and thermostat was not fully closing, hence the cooler temp. I have been pondering not breaking the fin/tab off but just shortening it a bit. Then there are those pesky aluminum shavings that might be very hard to remove from the cooling system...goodby expensive water pump?
I've since sold my 919 and now own a VTR 1000.

The casting pieces on the inside snapped off pretty cleanly - I did stuff some paper towels/rags deep inside the casing to prevent any shards, and gave it a good clean out after I had snapped the pieces off.

Never had any issues with the water pump

The End is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome