Hornet with Yoshi's - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hornet with Yoshi's

Hi all,
I have recently bought an 06 900 hornet with trs exhaust and PC3. I am finding it really lumpy at idle and flat at take off. It also coats the exhaust with black carbon very quickly and smells when idling. I don't know if the smell goes when riding at speed. Once above 4k revs it goes well. I have tried a variety of different maps including the custom one that the previous owner had done here in Perth, Australia. The best (I think) is a map for Two Brothers slip on's.
Any ideas on what to look for to rectify or is this normal on the hornet?
Anyone know of a good map to try - much of my day to day riding is through town, so low to mid end is important.
Other than the smell, I love the bike so far

Thanks for any help

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
The Cripple

hi wayne, check your throttle settings via the pcIII and resync them for full open/close if you can.

post #3 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the response although I have done that. I also used the PC buttons to lean up the fuel as I thought that may be where the smell was coming from. I have always had pipe low down before so I don't know if the smell is normal

post #4 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Wajor the Hornet is notorious for it's exhaust smell. Many people have changed out eh exhaust for one from a 900RR low single side because of the smell and that seems to do the job. I don't know if I've heard of anyone else being successful at getting rid of the smell.

I have to ask what bike you may have been riding before the Hornet? The reason I ask is to know what you may be comparing it to? When I first got mine I had the same problem low power in low rpm's. But I had been riding an XR650R motarded and the low end torque was monstrous when compared to the Hornet. What I soon learned was you just have to keep the revs up pretty high (4000-4500) when riding in general if you expect to need to get up and go at some point. It required a completely different style of riding but now it seems perfectly normal to me. I also had taken mine to a shop to have it tuned properly of the same problem. Now the lumpy idle may be because your idle is set to low just make sure it's adjusted to about 1200 RPM's. I just wonder if you're not experiencing the normal characteristics of the Hornet but just not used to it. I could be wrong?

post #5 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 AM
The Cripple

xrcajun, many hornets dont have the smell. some do, some dont. good points about the bike's characteristics though.

4k rpms are not high. the bike will continue to make hp all the way up to 9.5k rpms. but the bike should easily pull itself along at 2k though. sounds like a mixture of tuning/idle/fuel issues. get your idle dialed in as close as you can (do it when the bike is completely warmed up), look up the thread here regarding maps and where to the put the fuel bars will be indicated with each map used. it also depends on your altitude as well. you just need to play with it to get it just right, or take it in to get it professionally done.

post #6 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 04:47 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajor View Post
Hi all,
I have recently bought an 06 900 hornet with trs exhaust and PC3. I am finding it really lumpy at idle and flat at take off. It also coats the exhaust with black carbon very quickly and smells when idling. I don't know if the smell goes when riding at speed. Once above 4k revs it goes well. I have tried a variety of different maps including the custom one that the previous owner had done here in Perth, Australia. The best (I think) is a map for Two Brothers slip on's.
Any ideas on what to look for to rectify or is this normal on the hornet?
Anyone know of a good map to try - much of my day to day riding is through town, so low to mid end is important.
Other than the smell, I love the bike so far

Thanks for any help

Wayne
Send me a PM with an e mail address that accepts e mails with attachments.
I have a standard package of info that I have put together over time that is free to all who want it.
Included are a couple of maps that are known to be good with your slipons.
In addition, noting Pvester's post, there is a very good chance your PC has never been properly synchronized to the throttle positioner.
I'll send you the PowerCommander tutorial on that, plus some other stuff too.
A number of WTers have got the info and used it, and no one has complained yet.

post #7 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks guys,
sounds like I need to play around a bit more and get used yo the bikes characteristics. I will try and find the thread regarding maps.

Cheers

post #8 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Dragon Slayer

Mine used to stink up my riding jacket, but I don't notice it anymore.

I'm running the stock exhaust with six holes (1/4") drilled in a circle in each silencer. Runs fine this way and gives me a little more exhaust note to go with the growl from the air-box (flapper mod).

post #9 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Pilus Posterior

I run the yoshis without a PC111 - they fuel and preform faultlessly.

Step one - disconnect the PC3 and see how it runs. I suspect a suspect map or something as it should pull cleanly from idle.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I run the yoshis without a PC111 - they fuel and preform faultlessly.

Step one - disconnect the PC3 and see how it runs. I suspect a suspect map or something as it should pull cleanly from idle.
Good suggestion. I have Yoshimura tri-oval duals and no PC. No stink/pulls very linear off line up to redline.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #11 of 16 Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the advice everyone, especially Sandy. Great information and a couple of excellent maps. Bike is running really well.

Thanks again

Wayne

post #12 of 16 Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Shawn

I had that same famous smell on my brand new 2007 until I replaced the Y-Pipe with a flat black model with no cat. The smell was instantly gone! So, I assumed the cat was what was causing the smell. Maybe because it was so new. Not sure if anyone with an 02 to 05 non-California model (with flat black Y-Pipe) has noticed any particular odor, but amazingly mine was gone the day I replaced my stainless Y-Pipe that came on 49-State 2006 & 2007 models and ALL years of bikes for California (like the 2004 I just bought!) with the flat black one.

If anyone has noticed the smell with a flat black Y-Pipe, I'd like to know. Makes me wonder if the cat was actually the real issue.

When I replaced my Y-Pipe, I also installed a pair of Yoshimura TRS stainless slip-ons at the same time. But I assumed the smell was from the cat and NOT the mufflers.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfour919 View Post
I had that same famous smell on my brand new 2007 until I replaced the Y-Pipe with a flat black model with no cat. The smell was instantly gone! So, I assumed the cat was what was causing the smell. Maybe because it was so new. Not sure if anyone with an 02 to 05 non-California model (with flat black Y-Pipe) has noticed any particular odor, but amazingly mine was gone the day I replaced my stainless Y-Pipe that came on 49-State 2006 & 2007 models and ALL years of bikes for California (like the 2004 I just bought!) with the flat black one.

If anyone has noticed the smell with a flat black Y-Pipe, I'd like to know. Makes me wonder if the cat was actually the real issue.

When I replaced my Y-Pipe, I also installed a pair of Yoshimura TRS stainless slip-ons at the same time. But I assumed the smell was from the cat and NOT the mufflers.
Mufflers have no effect on smell being generated.
It is a function of the fuel being burned and the mapping itself.
The cat can have an effect, depending upon what the unburned hydrocarbon components are that the cat is making react.
Muffler exit position has a huge effect upon whether whatever stink there is being more or less of an aggravation.
The stock layout is the worst, as the gases exit and project into a low pressure area created by the riders back, and a passengers bike is even more effective at creating the low pressure zone.
The stink just tumbles around and soaks into the clothing.
Basic aerodynamics, as in lousy, is a huge factor here.
A low mount exit helps because of what should now be obvious reasons.

post #14 of 16 Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

My 2003 has the flat black y-pipe. It stinks.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfour919 View Post

I bet anything it has more to do with the position of the new pipes and the moving of that low pressure area. The exhaust probably has a better chance of getting away from that low pressure area and keeping your clothes smelling cleaner longer.

Even moving to a low-side 900RR header, mine still has a bit of stink (I have a PCIII and it has been dynoed) but now I can't smell it as it moves away from the bike.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #16 of 16 Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Memory fails me now, but a member here fabricated some off the shelf chrome exhaust tips for a car onto his pipes. The end result looked pretty damn good to me. Basically turns the exhaust stream down towards the road. Not sure if it helped the stink or not. The new Yoshi's and OEM cans both have no nozzle so the exhaust stream basically points right at the low pressure area behind you.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode