Hondaline windscreen - how much is it worth? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Hondaline windscreen - how much is it worth?

I'm not trying to start a bidding war or anything like that, I'm just trying to get an honest idea of how much the true Honda OEM windscreen is worth. I gave it a chance on my 03 9er for a couple of weeks and then I took it off for the last week. I see/feel no difference and since I consider it pretty ugly to my taste, I'm probably going to sell it. Only thing is, since they are hard to find to buy, they are also hard to find to price so I can sell it. I don't want to over price it just because it's hard to find, but I don't want to screw myself of money that could be used for a fender eliminator or something.

So, with that long winded beginning, how much are these things worth?

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

PM sent

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Worth about $200 since they're discontinued, right Fish?

post #4 of 19 Old 09-08-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Worth about $200 since they're discontinued, right Fish?

Now THAT is a price I'd jump on.

I haven't totally decided to sell it yet, I'm just trying to figure out how much I can get for it if I do. Like I said, basically I'm wanting to get rid of that bulky fender on the back and would possibly sell this to fund that.

BTW: Fish, I'm not ignoring your PM. Just thinking.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 AM
8th bike and 2nd 919!

check the bay and classifieds.. you'll get an idea

post #6 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I just bought a new one on ebay last week. It was a fluke and probably will never happen again, but It was listed under CB900 so it had no bids with 1 day left and a buy it now that was very low. I think if he had known that they were so hard to find the price would have been higher.

I'd throw out there for someone to trade you the screen for a fender eliminator? Seems fair enough and if they can get the eliminator for less, then good for them! You get what you want and they get what they want!

post #7 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

IMHO.... I would never pay more then what retail was......

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #8 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

These screens have gone the way of the Dodo bird. If you can find one that is painted black and has a "Hairy the Hornet" decal it is worth big $$$.

Spoiler:

post #9 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Rub it in why don't you

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
IMHO.... I would never pay more then what retail was......
I suppose that if you wanted something bad enough you would.

I would have paid more, I've been looking for a long time and to spend another 15 or 25 bucks isn't going to change my life.

post #11 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Can anyone tell me if the stock headlight bracket bolts have aluminum spacers underneath them, or do those come with the windscreen?

post #12 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

They come with the screen. ;-)

post #13 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Dang, that's what I thought. Now I've got to get new bolts to hold my headlight on before I can send off the windscreen.

post #14 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
Can anyone tell me if the stock headlight bracket bolts have aluminum spacers underneath them, or do those come with the windscreen?
the oem headlight has different bolts than what the windscreen uses.

The original bolts are allen head bolts.

post #15 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmatt80 View Post
the oem headlight has different bolts than what the windscreen uses.

The original bolts are allen head bolts.
You wouldn't happen to have the lengths and sizes handy, would ya? Would make it a lot easier to pick them up on my way home tomorrow.

post #16 of 19 Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Discen

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to have the lengths and sizes handy, would ya? Would make it a lot easier to pick them up on my way home tomorrow.
I thought i had the stock bolts, but i cannot find them as i moved within the last month. But if i find them i can measure them, or i will try to get out to home depot or lowes to do a real spec.

post #17 of 19 Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Will this work for you? LOL... I was board!

post #18 of 19 Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Well, I definitely wasn't able to find bolts exactly like those shown above to replace the bolts from the windscreen, but I was at least able to get some that would suffice. The smaller bolt is a 6mm x 1.25 x 20ish and the larger bolt is a 8mm x 1.25 x 30ish. I say 'ish' because that's the closest I could find to fit.

The problem I had is that the parts that the larger 8mm bolt screws into inside the headlight bowl isn't firmly attached, so the second I unscrewed the bolt holding on the windscreen that part slipped down inside the headlight bowl without my knowledge. So, when I went to put the new bolts in, of course they seemed to short. So I had to go back, get new bolts, come back only to find yet again, they were too short. Luckily this time I looked in there and realized that the internal part had moved. So, I had to take the headlight apart, attach the bowl without the headlight in so I could hold the internal part still (which is called a 'headlight case nut' according to Bike Bandit). Now the headlight is back together and happy and the windscreen is off to it's new owner, Fish. Enjoy it.

post #19 of 19 Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The problem I had is that the parts that the larger 8mm bolt screws into inside the headlight bowl isn't firmly attached, so the second I unscrewed the bolt holding on the windscreen that part slipped down inside the headlight bowl without my knowledge. So, when I went to put the new bolts in, of course they seemed to short. So I had to go back, get new bolts, come back only to find yet again, they were too short. Luckily this time I looked in there and realized that the internal part had moved. So, I had to take the headlight apart, attach the bowl without the headlight in so I could hold the internal part still (which is called a 'headlight case nut' according to Bike Bandit). Now the headlight is back together and happy and the windscreen is off to it's new owner, Fish. Enjoy it.
Classic case of live and learn! Glad you got it all worked out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode