Honda Hawk NT650 - Need info - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Post Honda Hawk NT650 - Need info

Does anyone have any experience with the Honda Hawk NT650? I just saw one on e-bay, and they look pretty cool. My wife just got her license (learners until after MSF class), and we were trying to find a good beginner bike. She has been leaning towards cruiser style bikes (Shadow VLX or VStar 650) but likes the looks of this bike. I have heard starting on a standard style was better then cruiser. I was wondering about the dependability of this bike (since it is an '88-'91 model) and if it is a good beginner bike.

Any good info (or info in general) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I know of at least 2 members that have owned these little gems. One of the easiest bikes to ride, IMO it would make a fine bike for your wife. The Hawk is another example of Honda's build quality. Aside from the usual once over with used bikes be sure to find out if this Hawk has seen track duty. Before the SV650's the Hawk's ruled the light weight twins class.

My former 1991 HawkGT

post #3 of 10 Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Hawk!

When I first saw an advertisement for the Hawk in late 1987, I knew it was the bike for me! In mid '88, when the local dealership finally got their first ones in I was there, helped take it out of the crate, set it up, reversed the shift pattern, and test rode it. 143,719 miles and 15 years later, I had ridden it to most Western states, learned to slide into corners without drama, commuted to three different jobs, and just generally had a blast on it. In that entire time it never failed to get me where I wanted to go, handled like a GP bike, got at least 50 MPG, NEVER needed a valve adjustment (I stopped checking them at 60,000 miles), had innumerable oil changes, two batteries, a clutch at 95,000 miles, and turned 100,000 miles on Glendora Mountain Road. Finally, a crash in some deisel fuel jammed 3rd gear hard enough to break the shift fork (but it still got me home!) and I parked it and bought a used 919. I highly recommend the Hawk to anyone who is able to find one: it's an excellent first bike and as reliable as any motorcycle I've ever heard of. Of course, when buying used condition is everything, so check it out carefully, but I'm willing to bet it will start right up and run perfectly.
Oh, I still smile when I look at it in the garage.

Rob

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

My friend's co-worker is offering him a sweet deal on an '88 NT650 ($900). The bike is a little dirty and has some scrapes in the paint, but otherwise appears to be very mechanically sound. When he gets it we'll go over it from end to end and clean, lube, and adjust everything as well as give it new oil, filter and plugs.
He's not an aggressive rider, and isn't looking for a race-replica bike, and he doesn't want or need more power. He just wants a commuter and something he can take his girlfriend out on occasionally, BUT he would love to spend time modding it to clean it up and give it a hot-rod look.
He plans to have the wheels powdercoated, give it a new paint job, new bars, mirrors, turn signals, etc. Are there any aftermarket options for the shorty canister? It looks cool as is, but are there any 'sportier' cans that will fit on there? He's looking for a fun winter project to work on, so are there any ideas out there for what he could do to hot-rod the looks of his new bike?
Thanks!

post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

M4 exhaust, 929 front end, VFR rear wheel, and Ohlins shock just to name a few.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Wow, NICE!!!!!

post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

How about a 80hp 700cc Hawk? J.D. Hord is the man to see...

post #8 of 10 Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Tirone

A pal of mine bought one new in '89 I think. The single sided swing arm was a big part of his decision (don't know why more bikes don't come w/those). I looked for one for years but they were obviously popular & way ahead of there time 'cuz I didn't see any for sale while I was looking. The only issue, according to him, was that the chain was an odd size. Don't know if it's true or not but that's what he said. DAS

"Too much is just enough 'cuz there's always room for one more"
post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdog View Post
A pal of mine bought one new in '89 I think. The single sided swing arm was a big part of his decision (don't know why more bikes don't come w/those). I looked for one for years but they were obviously popular & way ahead of there time 'cuz I didn't see any for sale while I was looking. The only issue, according to him, was that the chain was an odd size. Don't know if it's true or not but that's what he said. DAS
In reality the Hawk-GT was not a good seller, many of them them sat on the dealer's floor for many a year. The reason being the introduction of the original CBR600 Hurricane. For a few more $$ you could purchase the class leading middleweight at that time.

FWIW: the 525 chain is not a odd size.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I'll chime in since I have had two of them a 89 then a 88. Fun bike very easy to ride for beginners. Great handling biggest sticking point useless rear shock. The forks are a pretty easy fix heavier oil and correct springs. This gives the front end a little more control. They are super easy to work on. Parts are interchangeable between different Hondas. The common upgrades F2 front wheel you can switch to dual caliper if you change the whole front end. Alot people put a 900rr shock on the rear. A decent set of tires goes a long way on these bikes. Biggest thing as Mike stated look out for race bikes. Any signs of drilled bolts and would say walk away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode