Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Honda 919 rear wheel spacers and axle sizes

6K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Islandboy 
#1 ·
Hello, new owner of Honda 919 here - I have bought the bike last week and during routine service and maintanence task I have found some things I am not happy with: when the rear axle is undone there is huge gap between the swing arm and the flange - maybe around 8-9 mm. When I try to tighten the axle I run out of thread before I can tighten the rim securely, also I am not comfortable how much I compress the swingarm arms - so definatelly something is wrong and not as it should be. I looked in several parts diagrams - my spacers look like the real thing, but maybe they are not - could someone give me the lenght of the spacers and the axle? If they are ok, maybe the some of the bearings have been changed with the incorrect ones... Maybe is good to mention I have got the short swingarm with 112 links of chain (dont ask me how and when I found out that there is such thing :/)

#2 ·
I'm not pulling my rear wheel off to measure anything, sorry. But I'll try to help.
FWIW your rear axle is identical to the swing arm bolt/axle. You could compare.
Three spacers in rear wheel. The two on the sides are different from another and must each go on its correct side.
There is a spacer tube in the very centre between bearings.
Also a washer on nut side.

#3 ·
I think it will be much easier for us to help if you post a picture of the gap you're describing, along with the spacers and axle/nut that you currently have.

#4 ·
If one of the outer spacers was missing it would be easy to spot: a seal with nothing to bear against. On the other hand, if the center spacer which also acts as a collar to the cush drive bearing was missing the only way to tell is to remove the rear wheel. If the rear wheel bearings were replaced it is likely they (whomever did the work) left the spacer in the old bearing.

I have attached a parts diagram with the spacers circled.

Good luck.

Rob

Attachments

#6 ·
Hello again, my rear stand finally arrived 🙂 I am attaching a picture of the actual gap when the axle is undone - around 8 mm from the flange collar/spacer. I have checked all three spacers - they look like the correct ones, there is a center tube between the rim bearings - they sit flush with the bore as they should. Checked the axle washer size - its right - 2mm thickness.. I am not sure what is going on there - checked for mangled threads on the axle - everything is fine, but still run out of thread before the rim is tightened enough...

Attachments

#10 ·
Here are more pictures. I have checked the flange bearing - its the correct one 63/22 rs, the inner spacer sits as it should imho, the outer one touches it when installed, the dust seal seems the correct one, but there is a 3.5 mm gap between the flange bearing face and the dust seal - I do not know if its normal or not... I stuck my finger down the hole and everything touches ana makes one long tube... Thanks for the help figuring this out!

Attachments

#11 ·
Mmm...I still think the spacer on the sprocket side looks too far in. But I might be wrong.
Here is a pic of mine for comparison.
I measured the gap between driven flange/sprocket carrier and inside of swing arm and got 8.66mm.
My bike is an 02. If I get a chance I'll pull the back wheel off tomorrow and get a few measurement's. It's weird.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
[MENTION=26521]Islandboy[/MENTION] - hmm seems you are right - your spacer outer rim (the washer looking part of it) does not touch the dust seal - mine is right on it. The space between your spacer and the dust seal seems similar to the gap I got between the dust seal and the bearing face... I will be really gratefull if you can take some measurments of your spacer and bearing...
BTW. is there any chance of difference between early 2002 bikes (with the shorter chain) and later ones flange bearing - according to parts diagram I find - it should be 63/22 (which is installed) - Honda part number 91051MAS003?

#16 ·
I think I have got it. I have removed the dust cover (picture 1)the inner collar(picture 2), the outside collar (picture 3) and here is what i found - the bearing is 14 mm deep (picture 4), outside and inside diameters are as they should... If look closely into the pictures you can see wear marks 2mm higher in the flange, and also multiple wear marks on the outside collar... The wtf moment is picture 5 - as you can see the bearing marking is 6322rs, but the size clearly is not 16mm... And last but not least - I will be thankfull if some one could measure the inner collar mine is 25mm overall lenght, 14mm into the bearing, I think it should be 16mm as the size of the bearing, but maybe i am wrong...

Attachments

#17 ·
I don’t see a maker name or logo on that thing anywhere. No telling who made it, probably a generic Chinese bearing from some random kit sold by someone like All Balls(ed Up).

Replace with genuine Honda, genuine Koyo or Nachi (Honda suppliers) bearings.

#21 ·
Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction guys!
At last a tight rear wheel 🙂 I have put nsk bearing - i can only hope its made in Japan - in my part of the world (Eastern Europe) everything is questionable 😉

Here are some pics of the rear end - now it looks (and hopefully feels) right! I have only to shorten the chain to 112 links 🙂

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.