Honda 919. PC3? Or ECU flash? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Honda 919. PC3? Or ECU flash?

So I’ve been surfing through the 919 forums. I found that the PC3 seems to cause cold start problems. There are fixes out there. So my question is does anyone know any companies that do ecu flashes? my local Honda does not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM
just send it.

Garage
PC3 cold start issue has been fixed... (link). I have not heard of anyone that does an ECU flash for a 919. From what I understand, Hondas are tough in general and the 919 isn't a wildly popular bike, so aftermarket support isn't what you would see on something like a CBR.

[This space for rent]
post #3 of 8 Old 05-03-2018, 08:18 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I want to know who the fuckin world would bother with creating a custom flash for a shitty Honda UJM budget build...?

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I’m just going to buy the stock headers from Motorsport. Thinking about getting the danmoto gp slip-ons.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

I wish someone would make a Raspberry Pi version of the PCIII. I've asked about it before on a different forum. IIRC, the modern credit card size computers will handle EFI, but I don't know if anyone's actually done it.

I really don't have the time to do this myself, but could use a custom computer on a few cars.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-04-2018, 07:38 AM
just send it.

Garage
I think EFI on a Pi is doable... maybe a little overkill from a hardware standpoint, but doable. EFI (especially on a 919) isn't terribly complicated, but it isn't trivial either. By the time you figure out a way to interface the sensors you need with your Pi, and add the cost of extra hardware (level shifters, voltage regulators, etc), you may as well just develop your own platform and include all of that in a single BOM.

There are aftermarket ECUs on mini bikes (Grom and Z125), so I'm a little surprised I haven't seen any on larger 'budget' bikes.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 8 Old 05-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I think EFI on a Pi is doable... maybe a little overkill from a hardware standpoint, but doable. EFI (especially on a 919) isn't terribly complicated, but it isn't trivial either. By the time you figure out a way to interface the sensors you need with your Pi, and add the cost of extra hardware (level shifters, voltage regulators, etc), you may as well just develop your own platform and include all of that in a single BOM.

There are aftermarket ECUs on mini bikes (Grom and Z125), so I'm a little surprised I haven't seen any on larger 'budget' bikes.
I asked about this before on a programming forum. I'm a long time programmer. IIRC, there are already kits for Pi or some have already done some open source work with this.

https://hackaday.com/2015/01/28/rasp...ustion-engine/

I wouldn't be too concerned about a Pi being overkill, they are dirt cheap. IIRC < $30. It would be nice to have a small display that could do a trouble shooting readout and on the fly changes.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I just decided to purchase the stock exhaust instead of PC3. Thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode