Honda 919 Bafflectomy DIDNT work..My stock can is different. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Honda 919 Bafflectomy DIDNT work..My stock can is different.

So I did the Baffelectomy on my 03 919 today. The right side was fine and came out as expected but the left side stock can is different...its weird. I did the same thing and the center piece was only about 1 inch long and the entire inside of the exhaust is different that the right. It is a STOCK exhaust...i bought the bike brand new but not sure why its different. The outside of the can looks just like the right side but the inside is entirely different and it came out looking no good. The inside piece runs the entire length of the can and wont come out and you can actually see the packing around it between the inside center piece and the inside wall of the can.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

From what I am understanding, that is what my '02 looks like. My baffles have been out for years. If I look inside, there is a tube of mesh with packing around the outside that will pull right out. I never did the baffelectomy but the guy who did cut the end of the pipe off and riveted it back on when done. The piece in the middle of yours should come out. You may need to use some good force to break the welds inside.

Spoiler:

post #3 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Pictures would help. I'm interested in the difference you are seeing.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 07:27 PM
?Tirone?

i did my baffelectomy today as well. I have an '05 and after i removed the the o-ring section created by drilling out the center pipe and outer edge, i looked down inside the can and see three different tubes inside the can. Only one of these tubes, the one on top, is the one that exits the can if left stock. i have no idea if i am suppose to remove the rest or leave it as is. It sounds good while running, maybe a little "metallic" in the higher rpms. Seems possible not all niners exhaust are the same.

post #5 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 PM
?Tirone?

+1 on the pics. i'll see if i can do that soon.

post #6 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 PM
?Tirone?

exhaust pic

i really do not know how to this..
oh that worked ok..on the pic on the right, the top irregular hole is the place where the exit pipe was removed from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 320.jpg (46.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 317.jpg (43.6 KB, 56 views)

post #7 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

So that's two shots of the (same)right can, correct?

....looks just like mine post-bafflectomy.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM
?Tirone?

yes, two shots of the same right side can on an '05

post #9 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I did mine an 07, and there was not a speck of packing. Just 3 different pipes inside of different lengths. Both sides were identical !
Maybe Honda was sub-contracting the mufflers?
Anyone need a set? $25 plus shipping?

[
post #10 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Pilus Posterior

Looks the same as my right pipe (and left). The gasses wizz through one of those lower pipes turn a 180 back through the other then do another 180 out the top outlet (that you have removed).

By removing the 25mm outlet all those gasses get to rip straight out from the earlier chamber.

I ended up making some end caps for mine as I did not like the butchered appearance after the bafflectomy.

post #11 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Looks the same as my right pipe (and left). The gasses wizz through one of those lower pipes turn a 180 back through the other then do another 180 out the top outlet (that you have removed).

By removing the 25mm outlet all those gasses get to rip straight out from the earlier chamber.

I ended up making some end caps for mine as I did not like the butchered appearance after the bafflectomy.
Pics?

post #12 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Pics?
I used a bit of pipe with a bend in it so the warrant of fitness guy could not shine a torch down the end and see the 'modification'.

No issues with WOF's at all as far as they are concerned it is stock......

I did not remove the entire back with a hole saw. I cut the first hole and started jiggling, and jiggling and tapping and jiggling until it came out leaving a lip around the edge that the new insert has been glued too. JB weld was used to stick it in, and it is still rock solid after 9,000 kms!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7574.jpg (55.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 7572.jpg (74.3 KB, 37 views)

post #13 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Pretty neat job!

Wouldn't there be quite a "hydraulic shock" caused by the way the gasses have to enter the end caps with sharp edges sitting at an angle as well? I know the stock setup is no monument to unrestrictive gasflow, but isn't this the point of the bafflectomy to create a smooth freeflow system?

post #14 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Pretty neat job!

Wouldn't there be quite a "hydraulic shock" caused by the way the gasses have to enter the end caps with sharp edges sitting at an angle as well? I know the stock setup is no monument to unrestrictive gasflow, but isn't this the point of the bafflectomy to create a smooth freeflow system?
The Bafflectomy is purely about making more noise for those who canít afford a pair of aftermarket slip-ons!

The restriction offered by the curve in the end-pipe I have will be considerably less than the stock set-up, plus my outlet pipe is 10mm larger in diameter (35 mm) than the stock 25mm, offering more flow.

Also note than all of the aftermarket slip-ons when fitted with a decibel reducer (often removed by naughty owners!) involve a couple sets of turnarounds in the gasses to get out the smaller tube they insert (see below) as a % of the gasses flow down around the smaller insert, do a 180 and another 180 to get out the insert pipe - it must be pretty violent inside a muffler with all the gasses fighting for an outlet

An open ended Bafflectomy will offers more flow and is louder than what I have done, but IMO looks a bit crude when you look down the end. But Iím a fussy bugger.

Performance wise the bafflectomy follows the old mantra of Ďsounds louder thus it must be going fasterí. There are no noticeable gains other than actually being able to hear your bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.php.jpeg (18.1 KB, 27 views)

post #15 of 17 Old 05-10-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I have an 2003 and the left can is completly different than the right side. The right side was just like the pics above but the left was different and the bafflectomy doesnt work on it. You can tell the difference from the outside, The cans you cant do it on have a very thick bead of weld where the end of the can was welded on whereas the good cans are alot cleaner without that thick bead of weld.

post #16 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Sixty-9er

Take a pic of the left side then maybe this thread will make sense.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #17 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

"Pretty violent" and "hydraulic shock" are both very good terms when it comes to the stock mufflers. My bike while in "Baffelectomy Mode" managed to destroy not one, but two sets of Givi crash bars. Turn signal and tail light bulbs seemed to have short lives as well. I'm not sure, but I think it may cracked a front fender also. Smoothness is the main reason , if I keep the 919, that I would replace the stock mufflers. My bike is just a beast.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode