Honda 599 Front Sprocket - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Honda 599 Front Sprocket

I have previously increased the front sprocket on a 919 from 16 to 17 teeth. That was a great modification for my type or riding. The time has come for new sprockets and chain on the 599 and I am considering the same modification. This bike has less horsepower than a 919 however and I have not read about anybody else making this change. Has anybody else changed to a +1 front sprocket on a 599? (I have a 2004 model). My goal is to smooth out the acceleration and drop the cruising speed RPM's just a little. I am a conservative rider most of the time but I do ride fast on the open highway. Screaming acceleration from a stop sign is not a concern for me. Anybody out there with a modification like this on a 599? Did you like or dislike the change?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
CG

No personal experience but it sounds like you might want to go down in back instead of up in front. You can make smaller changes that way.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If the change suited you? Why ask others? It's your bike and you, like all of us, have your own type riding style. Do your thing and to heck with what I think! LOL I made the same change on my 919 and am quite satisfied with it. You will get a dibby better life from the front sprocket and chain, because of the increased diam. I know, I know, it would take a calculator to figure it out!! But, it won't hurt anything,so do it again.

[
post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Good advice. When it comes to motorcycles I usually do whatever I want - if my wife gives me the OK... I make a few mistakes along the way but they are learning experiences. Had experimented with sprockets on a old Yamaha 600cc Radian and the results were not good. In that case the motor did not have enough HP to push the bike properly in high gear. The Honda 599 motor should be strong enough, certainly much stronger than a Yamaha Radian. If I go with the front sprocket change, it should cost under $25 to test my plan.

post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

for $25, just do it! Try it out, and tell us how it works out...

I haven't seen any info on this topic on this site, maybe have a nose around on the Hornet's nest...lotsa 599 folks there, i'd be suprised if no one there has swapped sprockets around over there.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode