Spending $60 + shipping for a simple set of grab handle plugs seemed like a stupid idea so I decided to make my own out of a couple pieces of aluminum stock I had laying around in the shop and a bit of my spare time I took away from netflix.
Using a sharpie pen, I traced the holes shape directly onto the aluminum pieces and started grinding away on a grinding wheel. Happy that they fit the holes I then sanded them down and polished them to a somewhat shiny state.
Mounting them was my next challenge. I cut a couple squares from a piece of mesh screen from one of those cheapy trash buckets found at any dollar store. about 1/2" outside of the aluminum worked for me. I used a dremel cutting wheel in a criss cross pattern on the bottom part of the aluminum plugs to give something extra for the JB Weld epoxy to grab onto when sticking the two pieces together.
next hurdle was getting them to stay in place. I found some hard expandable foam that was used from the packing of a coffee machine I bought. I cut/shaped the foam with a utility knife and then stuffed it in between the metal frame where the original mount holes are and the mesh wire, which basically pushes up on the aluminum plugs and keeps them in place. I rode about 3000km so far and they have not moved.
looks good, though personally i think the fact that they're not flush with the cowl would drive me crazy but that's just me...
Maybe you can do a group sell on the forum if ppl are interested...
For an hour's effort, I'm pleased with it, especially over that gaudy looking grab handle I took off. They are a lot more flush than the plugs I wasn't paying $60 for. From a few feet away they look even better.
With the description I added in the initial post, people have enough info to make their own. lolololol