hid light - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: idaho
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 1
 
hid light

For those of you that have wondered about hid lights I have one in my 919 and wow it is nice and only cost about 60 dollars.

mdastrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
link? details???? sounds good but lets see some pics as well!

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
beefsalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,777
Blog Entries: 51
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1


beefsalad is offline  
post #4 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
here we go. . . . HID's do not work properly in a non-projector housing. all you are going to end up doing is blinding on coming traffic. please do not run HID's in non-projectors

hornet919 is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Mdastrider, I too would like some pics and a link to what you have & where you got it!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Tirone?
 
Sckill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,270
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

DDM-tuning is probably the place - people on the hidplanet forums swear by them:

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

That being said, please DO NOT run HIDs in the stock 919 housing and do not use anything higher than 5000K. Your cutoff will be crap and your night vision will be WORSE because your eyes won't be focused on the right places compared to a properly focused, properly aimmed halogen.

If you really want an awesome headlight, look up the 599 headlight conversion. I have tried both a HID projector retrofit and a 599 headlight. Both give great performance incomparable to the 919 stock light, but I'm currently running the 599 light because the cutoff is too sharp with projectors and hitting uneven road causes the light to bounce up and down too much and be a distraction.

Sckill is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Discen
 
peoples1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 216
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
here we go. . . . HID's do not work properly in a non-projector housing. all you are going to end up doing is blinding on coming traffic. please do not run HID's in non-projectors
^TRUTH


but I doubt it matters to anyone who is too stupid to know this on their own.

peoples1234 is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
^TRUTH


but I doubt it matters to anyone who is too stupid to know this on their own.
i agree. iv tried to tell people over and over but no one listens. apparently to most people just adding the HID kit will make you teh awesomesauce

hornet919 is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
here we go. . . . HID's do not work properly in a non-projector housing. all you are going to end up doing is blinding on coming traffic. please do not run HID's in non-projectors
I want some! they do make you awesome from what I've seen....Check it out, THIS is the effect I'm looking for:



the cagers don't really seem to mind doing it to me, right? now, i don't really want to glare-blind other drivers so calm down and take a breath.










.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I want some! they do make you awesome from what I've seen....Check it out, THIS is the effect I'm looking for:



the cagers don't really seem to mind doing it to me, right? now, i don't really want to glare-blind other drivers so calm down and take a breath.










.
:rofl: im going to save that picture for every time someone posts up about their sick HID conversions. personally, id rather the driver coming the other way actually be able see instead of being blinded by my insanely horrible lights and run me over. idk, thats just me

hornet919 is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 06:09 PM
CG
 
catonsvilleguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Catonsville, MD
Posts: 593
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
:rofl: im going to save that picture for every time someone posts up about their sick HID conversions. personally, id rather the driver coming the other way actually be able see instead of being blinded by my insanely horrible lights and run me over. idk, thats just me
+1

catonsvilleguy is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: idaho
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 1
 
all those complaints............. wow.............. Personally it has improved my night vision dramatically. 55 watt 6000k 5000 lumes. I have not had one single car flash their headlights. Rode with a friend and asked if I was too bright when I was behind him and he said no. Sooooooo all of you that are negative about it I disagree and am very very pleased with the improvement that works very well in the stock housing.

Dmm tuning around 65 bucks.

I'll get pics up after I get back from my trip to Canada eh.

mdastrider is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdastrider View Post
all those complaints............. wow.............. Personally it has improved my night vision dramatically. 55 watt 6000k 5000 lumes. I have not had one single car flash their headlights. Rode with a friend and asked if I was too bright when I was behind him and he said no. Sooooooo all of you that are negative about it I disagree and am very very pleased with the improvement that works very well in the stock housing.

Dmm tuning around 65 bucks.

I'll get pics up after I get back from my trip to Canada eh.
its not like we are making it up, its fact. and for $65, dont expect that kit to last very long. good luck

hornet919 is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
its not like we are making it up, its fact. and for $65, dont expect that kit to last very long. good luck
Why all the negative waves, Moriarty? Why ya have to rain on the guy's parade that way? You sir, are a wet blanket! At least give him some wiggle room to explain and/or demonstrate how and why he chose this set up, and why he thinks its awesome before shooting him down!

...is your strongly held opinion based on personal experience or on reading some reviews somewhere?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Why all the negative waves, Moriarty? Why ya have to rain on the guy's parade that way? You sir, are a wet blanket! At least give him some wiggle room to explain and/or demonstrate how and why he chose this set up, and why he thinks its awesome before shooting him down!

...is your strongly held opinion based on personal experience or on reading some reviews somewhere?
errrr its hard to tell how you feel about this. im kinda confused. its not based on reviews, my opinion is based an tests, facts, etc. .

hornet919 is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
this guy is regarded as the know-all source on lighting. . . .

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

hornet919 is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Hornet919, I don't really feel one way or the other about it to be completely honest. I doubt I'll ever go the HID route. if I make any changes at all, it will probably be a 599 headlight swap, or maybe I can add some really bitchin aux driving lights or something.

I am interested in hearing what Mdastrider's real world results are, though
...accompanied by pictures and such, of course!

All too often I see folks here trying out interesting new ideas, or thinking about them & trying to get some assistance in planning the project and then they get discouraged because of the smackdown that gets laid on them. This guy isn't acting all squidly and trying to claim that his butt-dyno (or whatever) tells him that his "New Thing" rocks the world, and I think he deserves a chance to demonstrate what he thinks before being summarily dismissed. I really dislike relying on ANY so-called subject experts without having a hands on opportunity (or at least a peek) for myself.

This is what originally brought me to WT. This place has a lot of regular joes who have been willing to lay it on the line publicly to share what they have learned for themselves...I've seen too many "experts" in my travels who really didn't know their ass from their elbow. I enjoy having the ability to cut through all the hype and get some actual real world info so I can judge for myself.

I've seen some fairly amazing bits of homebuilt engineering accomplished on motorcycles and cars, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility that what he's got works. If he was the very first guy claiming that an RC-51 front end swap was the way to go, would you be against him on that too? That's all I'm saying.







.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
im not trying to put him down or be rude. im being honest. it doesnt work, and its not safe. he would have been better off with a quality halogen bulb. i linked the article with plenty of facts and science to demonstrate that HID's dont work in halogen housings. i love being creative and trying to come up with new and unique things. but there are somethings that just dont work. im not basing anything i say off opinion. im an ASE certified tech and i know a thing or two about things with wheels. i weld, i fabricate, and i generally like almost anything that requires some kind of thought. sorry if i offended anyone, i like when things are done the right way and wont harm anyone else. blinding glare from HID will harm people.

hornet919 is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Tirone?
 
Sckill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,270
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Honestly, no one really cares about blinding other drivers. So from my experience, I can tell you why a poor cutoff and color temperature are the real reasons not to put a HID bulb into a reflector not properly designed for the bulb.

I drive an Acura TL and several years ago, I put in a set of 6000K D2C bulbs into my headlights. Keep in mind that this car comes stock with HID reflector headlights. The difference between the stock D2R bulbs and the new ones are that the D2R bulbs have a ceramic coating that blocks off excess light from bleeding out and blurring the cutoff. Some things I noticed when switching between the two:

1. An undefined blurry cutoff lights up more of the things above the road that you don't need to see which distract your focus (tree tops, overpasses, telephone poles)
2. The blurry cutoff makes it hard for your eyes to see where the light stops and doesn't stop - you can't really tell distance as well and if things are in your way because everything appears to just "fade in" into your view
3. 6000K lights look really bright, but everything reflected in the light just looks white / washed out after a while and lack of contrast -> tired eyes

Compared to the OEM 919 light, sure, putting a HID in there will increase light input and I imagine the big round reflector would act like a bit spotlight. I'm really surprised though that your buddies haven't told you that it's too bright. It either means that you're using a H4 based HID bulb with one of those mechanical shields, or that the stock reflector is doing such a crappy job of reflecting the light back in front of you. If all of that light were properly reflected forward, you should definitely be blinding people.

Sckill is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
what year tl?

hornet919 is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Tirone?
 
Sckill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,270
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

2003

Sckill is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 AM
CG
 
catonsvilleguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Catonsville, MD
Posts: 593
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Honestly, no one really cares about blinding other drivers.
Whoa! Speak for yourself there. I HATE being blinded by morons who drive around with their highd on full time. Pisses me OFF!

I hear one guy saying it works great because he can see better. I hear 2nd guy saying first guy is running around blinding people. First guy response = 2nd guy is wrong because 1st guy can see better.

Huh?

I'm thinking the 2nd guy is a little more objective and a little more fact-oriented.

I know very little about home-engineered HID setups but there are reasons why headlights are designed to cutoff in very precise patterns. Anything that Fs that up is BS IMO.

No offense to first guy but if you blind me, I'm blinding you back, dude! I hope we don't hit head-on

catonsvilleguy is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Tirone?
 
Sckill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,270
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
Whoa! Speak for yourself there. I HATE being blinded by morons who drive around with their highd on full time. Pisses me OFF!
What I mean is that most people who put HIDs into their halogen headlights don't really care that other people get blinded. A more appealing / selfish argument is that performance isn't going to be anywhere close to what you think it could be compared to cars that come with HIDs stock.

Sckill is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
2003
that has the old style HID in it. they are almost like a halogen housing which is probably why they didnt respond well to the bulbs you bought. always had alot of problem with regulators on them too

hornet919 is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,655
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
What I mean is that most people who put HIDs into their halogen headlights don't really care that other people get blinded. A more appealing / selfish argument is that performance isn't going to be anywhere close to what you think it could be compared to cars that come with HIDs stock.
Would you want to blind the driver of the oncoming cage who now can't see you or the road?

rmb is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Tirone?
 
Sckill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,270
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
that has the old style HID in it. they are almost like a halogen housing which is probably why they didnt respond well to the bulbs you bought.
Agreed. I switched back to the OEM D2R bulbs after a while and won't go back to aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Would you want to blind the driver of the oncoming cage who now can't see you or the road?
There's a difference between how I feel and what I'm saying other people are thinking.

I personally do not want to blind other drivers because I also hate being blinded by high beams. However, to use the "don't blind other drivers" as a reason when telling someone else to not screw around with HIDs is a weak argument. All they're interested in is more light output and that argument doesn't address why spending the time/money to get it right with a projector retrofit (good cutoff and light focus) is the way to go.

Sckill is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,655
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Agreed. I switched back to the OEM D2R bulbs after a while and won't go back to aftermarket.



There's a difference between how I feel and what I'm saying other people are thinking.

I personally do not want to blind other drivers because I also hate being blinded by high beams. However, to use the "don't blind other drivers" as a reason when telling someone else to not screw around with HIDs is a weak argument. All they're interested in is more light output and that argument doesn't address why spending the time/money to get it right with a projector retrofit (good cutoff and light focus) is the way to go.
I'm by no means an expert, or well educated in HID's, I based my statement on wat I've read here. Point taken humbly(sp?).

rmb is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: idaho
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 1
 
So the hornet nest continues. I did purchase an h4 hid with a high/low beam. On high beam yeah it will blind the f*** out of the opposing traffic. I agree that light does scatter everywhere. Very rarely do I use the high beam. Low works very well for me. I am sure I am still scattering light but like I said I have had no one flash their lights. I agree, don't get an hid that runs on high.

mdastrider is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 07-01-2010, 04:52 AM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
:rofl: im going to save that picture for every time someone posts up about their sick HID conversions. personally, id rather the driver coming the other way actually be able see instead of being blinded by my insanely horrible lights and run me over. idk, thats just me
being i ride in nj(the state with the dumbest,worst drivers in the country) i'm looking for a headlight conversion that gives the 9'er a "hydrogen bomb at detonation" kinda light. something that burns out their retina and makes them swerve onto a parked car or utility pole.
anyone see a retro kit like that?

j/k



no,i'm not lol

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome