Hi All New to site - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi All New to site

Just thought i would say hello, I can be found around the internet by the same screen name but I am new to this site.

Got linked here through 919.org

been debating on a street bike between the RC and a few others, recently learned of the 919 and I have some wicked Ideas for this bike and I think I may get one when the time is right. just wish they came in black this year!

Also just for my research anyone know what models that the tail is directly compatable with and what models the sub frame is compatible with? Sorry I love the look of a pedestal seat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Welcome aboard! The 919 is a great street bike. It should serve you much better than the RC or others if you seek an all around bike. Just remember you're getting budget suspension and a flimsy frame.

You might want to search for a solo seat or a rear seat cowl if you don't care for the look of the stock pad. As for a pedestal style seat, you're on your own.

This might explain why you'll have difficulty with replacing the tail. Basically, there is no real "sub-frame," just the steel backbone that runs the length of the bike.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome to the site. Yeah, the black ones are faster, especially the matte black, since they don't have to clearcoat it. That makes it weigh .00000000005 lbs. less, therefore faster. But if you don't eat too much pizza, and drink too much beer, you will be okay. Wait, can you drink too much beer?
AFAIK, the only difference in model years is suspension and some changes to the gauges.
Get one, you'll love it, and you'll be one of very few here. I think we're up to 324,345,339 of them.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Yea we dicussed strenghtening the frame awhile back on a site to remain unnamed motorush. It would be pretty much cost ineffective to do so. It's really not a weak frame so to speak just don't expect it to be an all out track bike. It is what it is, a great all around bike!

Welcome to my nightmare

post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 01:38 PM

It's a total badass hooligan beast that puts my buddy's Buell to shame!! (not that that is a difficult task).

The 919 has more attitude and style, especially when it is running fine while he is in his garage trying to rebuild his carbs.

If I ever stray it will be for the 06 speed triple. Maybe I can find a good deal on one in a few years.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 02:25 PM

BTW, the gloss black is faster. It has much less wind drag...

Welcome, even though they aren't making the black this year, you can usually find a leftover somewhere.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty
BTW, the gloss black is faster. It has much less wind drag...

Welcome, even though they aren't making the black this year, you can usually find a leftover somewhere.
i thought all 919's were faster, due to that sleek aerodynamic headlight...

post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

WOW thanks for the quick replies.

So is the frame flimsy or weak or what, is it going to get twist while carving up a canyon or would I only expect to see anything at track speeds.

(Love Honda - The crash freindly motorcycle, I have literally watched my F4 fly through the air doing summersaults and etc etc etc, with nothing bad happening but she is in getting an engine rebuild right now, last treack crash I found sand in the carbs )

I see what you are saying about the pedestals, Ill find a way to make it custom when it approaches my hands

yeah I did read about the suspension but thats what penske triple clicker and traxxion Dynamics are for.

Its weird I am a honda freak and I forgot all about the CB line and I fell in love with the look need to see about the feel though.

you guys running clip ons or renthal type drag bars or stock?

If I do get one the following winter will involve:

Scots Dampner
Penske Shock
Fork rework
Bars
520 convo
SS lines (what are the stock lines like on these models)
wouldcraft RS's
possibly a slipper clutch
High temp rotors (going down mountains has a tendency to heat and warp DOT rotors)
a sick looking belly pan and dual head light fairing
find something to do with that banana seat
Paint it black (everything looks better in black)
maybe just maybe I dunno but a have a friend who owns a patent on a turbo system and he says if I make it pretty sick he'll do a labor only twin turbo system if I am willing to track test it and do a write up for his site and company, basically let him expose the bike.

we will see what happens though all this depends on the finances when the time comes I have a slight problem with my aspirations overcoming reality especially when it comes to my motorcycles

once again thanks for the warm welcome and I will let you know if I get one, I am taking the 600 hornet for a test ride tomorrow because I am curious about the ergos.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 03:15 PM

That sounds like quite a project you are getting into, although if you want to cut down some of the cost, alot of that will prove mostly useless. As for the 9, the frame isn't weak, it's something you will only really notice under track-race conditions.

Also, you would be surprised just how great the stock brakes are. Stainless lines are good, the rest is a bit overkill.

Don't bother with new shocks, just make sure the front is sprung to your weight and adjust all parameters properly. The benefit is just too little given the limited chassis capabilities. It's not a track bike and it never will be, but I don't think you will outdo what it IS capable of on the mountain twisties. Save that stuff for your cbr.

Damper is probably not necessary as it is pretty stable, unless you are planning on many many wheelies at high speeds.

Slipper clutch...I'm not even gonna touch that one...

New bars, rearsets, bellypan, 520conv., headlights, seat, DEFINITELY!!

Then again, you do whatever makes YOU happy. Drop a supercharged R1 motor into it with a 70 shot of nitrous and a suicide shifter if that's what does if for ya. Make it yours, just make sure you post some pics and don't get discouraged by the ridicule you may receive by some of the more conservative riders. No matter what project you start, you will get some good advice here right along side all of that ridicule. All I know for sure is, if you get one, you can run the sh&* out of it and bring it right back home and it will be ready to go again the next day. Good luck finding one and hope to see you back here soon!

post #10 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

sorry used to being around track bikes

I just love wrenching my bikes!

heres some pics of the babies

This one isnt mine but.....

I did touch it once

F4 before pulling the engine

My baby pre crash

full two bros
penske double clicker
Fork re work by traxxion Dynamics
vortex/did 520
SS tail
Woodcraft rear sets
SS lines
woodcraft clipons
scots dampner
ebc full floating rotors
dynos at 103 rwhp at sea level

Here is the CL160
She is about to undergo a big bor to 182cc's she has to race in the 200gp class

3100 original miles 1967 cant wait to start on her, only problem is I have to keep the mods limited to late 60's in order to compete.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 PM

Bro, that is Friggin' AWESOME! I would love to do up an old racer like that. I hope I get the time some day. Good luck with it man, seriously bad-ass! Oh, and your track bike looks just like mine right now. '02 R6 in need of serious help. Trying to get it back out on the track by July.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode