Here's my Car Talk question of the day... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Here's my Car Talk question of the day...

Hi All,

So went out to start my bike today for work and brave the 94 degree heat but the my niner acted very strangely...

The bike will start up but I need to rev the throttle in order to keep it running, and not just holding the throttle on as the RPM's will slowly drop until the engine eventually shuts off. The bike sounds very muffled and almost as if the engine has been flooded (which I know it is FI and would not be the case as I didn't do anything to flood it either). The bike literally sounds like it is sick and dying and won't stay alive.

A couple of days ago I changed the clutch cable and levers but I don't see why that would be my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am slightly mechanically inclined but I don't even know where to begin with this one.

Thanks guys,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Also to note, when I installed the clutch cable I did the duct tape and pull method to route the cable (unsure if that could've knocked anything around) and I do run a PCIII

post #3 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 07:19 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Might have knocked a vacuum line loose? Just a guess.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #4 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Tesserarius

Others will chime in, but its sound like a familiar problem with the PCIII.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hmm I'll check out after work, vacuum line makes sense, maybe something is pinched...

To test if it's the PCIII would I just throw a zeroed out map on it and check that way?

post #6 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Is this the first time you started it since replacing the cable?

Regardless, the number one rule when having just done something and a problem crops up: whatever you did caused it!

With the nearly right angle bent steel tube the stock cable has it's almost inevitable that it caught on a wire or vacuum hose and either disconnected it or pinched / cut it. You can tell that is happening when while drawing the new cable through it suddenly stops or requires much more force to continue. Voilà, a problem! Tilt the tank up, prop it in place, and inspect everything anywhere near the clutch cable: it runs past quite a number of critical parts, particularly vacuum tees and the ignition coils. Chances are good that you will find the problem. Hopefully it will just be an easy reconnection and you're back in business.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Is this the first time you started it since replacing the cable?

Regardless, the number one rule when having just done something and a problem crops up: whatever you did caused it!

With the nearly right angle bent steel tube the stock cable has it's almost inevitable that it caught on a wire or vacuum hose and either disconnected it or pinched / cut it. You can tell that is happening when while drawing the new cable through it suddenly stops or requires much more force to continue. Voilà, a problem! Tilt the tank up, prop it in place, and inspect everything anywhere near the clutch cable: it runs past quite a number of critical parts, particularly vacuum tees and the ignition coils. Chances are good that you will find the problem. Hopefully it will just be an easy reconnection and you're back in business.

Rob
Ignition coil trigger wires is a good thought as they are pretty small gage wire.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for all the all help guys, Marylandmike, you're right, it was one of the wires got knocked off. Up and running with a new map, clutch cable, levers and just hit the 30K mark driving into work this morning.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 05:23 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian22022 View Post
Thanks for all the all help guys, Marylandmike, you're right, it was one of the wires got knocked off. Up and running with a new map, clutch cable, levers and just hit the 30K mark driving into work this morning.
Rob called it. Glad you got her back and running right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode