help with battery - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

help with battery

hey guys, i was an idiot and left my key in the on position last night until this afternoon when i came out looking for my key. battery is now completely drained. i tried bump starting and it'd start but wouldnt keep running. so i resorted to jumping it. got it running and let it run for around 20 minutes as i got ready to go ride it and accidently killed it. now its as if the battery never got a charge while it was running.

i'm curious, did i fry the battery or is it just so drained beyond rescue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Tesserarius

Ive had a similar experience. I put it on a trickle charger for a couple days and it was fine.

post #3 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Bacon-powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
Ive had a similar experience. I put it on a trickle charger for a couple days and it was fine.
Same deal here. trickle it overnight and she'll be right.

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919
post #4 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

damn, i dont have a trickle charger : ( hmm i'll figure something out. took her for a ride for a bit. hope that helped....

post #5 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
damn, i dont have a trickle charger : ( hmm i'll figure something out. took her for a ride for a bit. hope that helped....
$30, it will take care of your cars too

2/6 Amp, 6/12 Volt Battery Charger

post #6 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

mmm me love me some harbor freight! thats a good price.... i'll have to see if i can return enough bottles to make 30 bucks

post #7 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

put this baby with 2Amp rate overnight and it will be like new

post #8 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
mmm me love me some harbor freight! thats a good price.... i'll have to see if i can return enough bottles to make 30 bucks
Get a Battery Tender. Can't go wrong. I've been stung by shit from Harbor Freight, although I know some of their stuff is legit. It is important to know that an electrical system of the same voltage as auto is only going to draw as much current as it needs. No more, no less. If the voltage potential's are the same, it doesn't really matter if you've got 2,000 amps behind it (unless you have a dead short...in which case you my see some nice plasma corona stuff and start fires and weld shit and turn your garage and bike into a electric arc furnace)Google Image Result for http://www.rhi-ag.com/img/content/de/refractories/stahl/EAF/EAF_20Emotion_20CON__430,property=Data.jpg

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Tirone

Battery Tender Jr. $23 on Amazon and if you tack on $2 you get free shipping. Put the lead on your bike and just leave it plugged up if you want. I've always had one hard-wired to my bikes for the winter and they work awesome.

post #10 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Tirone

BTW, if you fab up one of these with adapters from Wal-Mart you can charge your cell phone, GPS, etc on trips. Just watch your polarity!

post #11 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasito View Post
Battery Tender Jr. $23 on Amazon and if you tack on $2 you get free shipping. Put the lead on your bike and just leave it plugged up if you want. I've always had one hard-wired to my bikes for the winter and they work awesome.
this is good to keep the batt alive during winter, 0.7A won't be enough to bring it back to life quick after completely draining the battery.

post #12 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
It is important to know that an electrical system of the same voltage as auto is only going to draw as much current as it needs. No more, no less.
It doesn't apply when it comes to batt charging. Amp demand can be pretty high if batt completely dead, give it too much current and it will make its plates collapse. 2A is a good enough current to apply when you are not in the rush

post #13 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Tesserarius

Battery minder is the way to go. BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulphator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers | Northern Tool + Equipment
It is one of the few that can actually desulfate the plates. It usually only takes a few days, but I have had it take a few weeks. I have had it restore batteries that wouldnt take a charge, and had them last years longer. I restore lawn mowers as a hobby and usually have 3-4 batteries hooked up all summer long. I have only had it not fix a battery once. Having said all that the harbor freight one will probably work in your case, im just slightly partial.

post #14 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Who, me?

PV. Go with a battery tender. I'm slightly familiar with that particular bike. Used to go through a battery every year, had one only last 3 months (cheap ebay battery, never go with anything besides a Yuasa, lesson learned) after I got the battery tender, that battery that is in there was 2 years old this spring, so 3 seasons on it. Hell, after 3 years, it may just need a new one... But get a battery tender.

And if I remember right, it won't charge the battery at idle, gotta rev it up a little, and I know you know how to do that,

Contact me for AMSOIL products!

www.rmbsynthetics.com

If it ain't broke, keep fixing it 'till it is...
post #15 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Pilus Posterior

Off the top of my head it is a 14 amp hour battery. So from flat @ 1.5 amp charge it will need to be on for a while.

Get a battery tender and wire it up to the bike - well worth the initial outlay, especially with winter coming your way on your side of the planet.

post #16 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

thanks for the comments guys. being a broke college kid, i'll have to wait on the tenders/chargers at the moment but am storing this thread for future reference. it took several different attempts but i managed to get the bike running and keep it running so i could go ride for a while. after coming back home and shutting it down, it fired right up a couple hours later. only time will tell when i go to start it tomorrow morning. we shall see.

post #17 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasito View Post
I have to agree with that. 51K on the '03 919 with the original battery. Always plugged into the tender 24/7 except when I am on tour. I run the same lead for my electric jacket liner.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #18 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
I have to agree with that. 51K on the '03 919 with the original battery. Always plugged into the tender 24/7 except when I am on tour. I run the same lead for my electric jacket liner.

Doc
Same here pretty much. 46,000 miles on 04 ZX10R....stock battery. However, my KLR battery ate sheeat and it was an 05 with 11,000 miles on the bike. Replaced it with an Odyssey: Odyssey Batteries

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #19 of 20 Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Di"zx"en

I like and use this one...... Amazon.com: Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Maintainer: Automotive I also have all the bikes fitted with the connector to just plug it in. Simple cheap and easy.

That'll work........
post #20 of 20 Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

i jump started my bike a few times using a car battery to get the bike running and keep it running, and once i got it so where it could run on its own, i rode the hell out of it in high rpms for a good 30 minutes before parking it. let it cool down for several hours, came out and fired it up for a quick high rpm joyride and shut it down for the night. barely cranked over the next morning and has been fine since : )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode