Help the new guy mod his stock 919. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Help the new guy mod his stock 919.

I posted this question over on the 919 forum at Fireblades and the answer I got was to try here. I am thrilled at what a good 919 community you have here.
My 919 ,actually a CB900F in grey is starting to lose that new bike thrill and I was considering a new bike. Instead I decided to do some much needed maintenance and some cool but subtle mods instead of getting a new bike.

Because my plans went into some detail I just copied the original post to my clip board and pasted it here.

Bike(s): 02,919,78 CB350 cafe
Rep: Unsub is on a distinguished road (10)

Help me mod my 02,919 please?
Hello everyone I am new here and am considering doing some basic mods to my stock 02 919. I love my bike and don't want to do any radical changes like an inverted fork swap more helping my bike reach it's potential and personalize it for me and the riding I do. Here are some of the mods I am considering.

First is handling, I am a big guy and the shocks are not working as well as when new.

Respring and new valves for the forks

I am not sure about the rear , if there is a heavier spring for a 270 pound guy as opposed to the 150 pound guy they set it up for that would be great?

New brake pads and possibly lines.

I already replaced the rear tire with another BT014 and will do the same for the front soon.

If anyone has any ideas for other or better mods than these let me know?

Once I get the handling dialed in I am going to do a few subtle appearance mods. I have found most custom 919's to be garish and ugly. They might as well have bought a Kawi Z1000.

I make and collect knives so I am going to have some of my influences come through on my bike. One of the first things I am going to do is get a nice aluminium bar and wrap the handgrips with same(rayskin) and silk to match my samurai sword. I may even try to make a pair of bar ends out of damascus steel this winter.

Other mods will be more conventional with a fender eliminator kit ,flush or at least smaller signals and blacking out a few parts.

I do a lot of work with metal so I may try to fab some metal replacement panels for some of the plastic ones.

I may also swap the headlight for a nicer one from a Harley or metric cruiser.
The stock light works great but the plastic back is kind of cheap looking.
I like the idea of swaping stock parts for very similar but higher quality bits.

The cruiser guys often take off excellent stock parts to replace them with chrome aftermarket ones often of lesser quality.

I plan to do most of the work over the long saskatchawan winter but in little bits so I don't get to discouraged.
I would appreciate any input and advice especially if you have done similar mods?

Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome! That was me over on the fireblades site unsub - welcome to wristtwisters! Hey jetblast - where's that referral counter?

If you are a big guy, I'd definitely look into beefing up the suspension and even the brakes as your gut/instincts tells you to.

Do a search here for 'Fender Eliminator' -- there is a thread with lots of pics in it of what various people have done with that. Most will agree that it's better to fabricate than to pay CW $145 for their kit.

Ditto for the headlight. Many of us have swapped out the stock light for dual lights -- either Dominators like me, or the Buell lights.

Enjoy your stay!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

as far a rear suspention, i just bought a ohlins SPRING for my stock shock. have not got it yet, (the right one) i got one that was to big so bought another one. i found them on ebay $30 shipped. so not so bad.will let you know how i like it when i get it on the bike. should be a plus i am a little on the heavy side as well. 230. plus i sometimes have tail bag mounted and load. any thing to help it out.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Spend a little time to read through this naked bike forum. There are tons of threads pertaining to mods.

Welcome aboard.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Howdy.

Ken, Mike and mikey can help you with mods. You're in good hands.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 AM

Race Tech Springs up front=huge improvement little cost. I didn't re-valve at the time but the front end was such an improvement that I didn't need to do any more. The rear is fine, it's set up for two up riding so if anything it's a little stiff. However, a custom rear shock won't improve the overall riding experience very much and will cost a pretty penny. the rear shock swap is the one mod that I wish I had not spent the money on. the rear showa is not rebuildable, so you're better off leaving it alone and riding it as is. The frame is the weak point on the 919, no matter how good your suspension gets the lack of rigidity in the frame will hold you back. Steel brake lines are a good improvement over stock and look great. My other recommendations would be to do the standard upgrades, i.e. a decent slip on, PCIII with good map. (note. talk to LDH about maps, he's got a couple of good ones for the 919.) Also, consider a sprocket swap to get the bike set up for your style of riding. You can really make the 9er jump with a gearing change and sprockets are pretty cheap compared to some of the other mods.

I don't really like the customized look either. It's a nice looking bike that looks even better with a few subtle tweaks.

Good Luck and have fun,
JeffH

post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys this is exactly what I want to know especially about the rear shock not being worth the money. I had a hunch that might be the case and I am glad to find out before I did it.

Ken I tried to give you credit on the referral but you have a different screen name here.

I am not trying to make a 919 into a trackbike so I don't think I will have any trouble with the frame. I just want a more competent streetbike.
I would like to know how those Ohlins springs work out?

I really like the way people here modify existing patrs from other bikes or fab their own rather than just buying readymade parts.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Hey Unsub Glad you made it. (AKA: XR's only)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode