Help req re pillion seat - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Help req re pillion seat

I recently bought a new (07) hornet 900 (919) and I'm very pleased with it overall, in fact having owned many bikes over the years I'd have to say this is the best so far. Just one problem. I took the other half out for a 300k spin on the weekend and even with an airhawk seat pad she was in agony, declaring the bike our most uncomfortable to date.
Not wishing to part company with the bike (I actually find it very comfortable) I was hoping for some advice on alternative seats. I'm a bit reluctant to spend a fortune if it's not going to help much....Chally.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Corbin saddle with the backrest option if she likes. Problem solved.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 08:13 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chally View Post
I recently bought a new (07) hornet 900 (919) and I'm very pleased with it overall, in fact having owned many bikes over the years I'd have to say this is the best so far. Just one problem. I took the other half out for a 300k spin on the weekend and even with an airhawk seat pad she was in agony, declaring the bike our most uncomfortable to date.
Not wishing to part company with the bike (I actually find it very comfortable) I was hoping for some advice on alternative seats. I'm a bit reluctant to spend a fortune if it's not going to help much....Chally.
You could always part company with her...

post #4 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I hear you, and know from experience there are not more than two great passenger options. Rick and Rocky Mayer (bros with separate companies). Rocky (SouCal) made mine and it is incredible!

http://www.billmayersaddles.com/bmsphotopage.html

post #5 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 05:30 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

dream, he doesnt list the 9er dude

post #6 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
dream, he doesnt list the 9er dude
BMS custom reworks ANY seat core/base. Fill out their detailed order form for BOTH you and Pillion, send in the below perspective pix (of their seat) with ANY required changes. Ideally you visit them in person for the perfect seat angle, but with careful specification you can get very close. BTW I am in no way affiliated with them, except our a**es love them!

post #7 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Dream, that BMS seat looks like a great option for pillion riding. Does it have gel inserts? What was the cost?

post #8 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 11:52 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

post #9 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Dream, that BMS seat looks like a great option for pillion riding. Does it have gel inserts? What was the cost?
I researched all options and determined BMS to be the most comfortable for pillion and long distance rides.

1) Custom foam saddle fit
2) I specified the Pillion saddle to be level not angled downward like most that promote sliding
3) Wider means less pressure per square
4) Nice durable leather
5) Perfect mechanics with your saddle, unlike aftermarket shells

It has no gel inserts that tend to breakdown. For those riding in the very cold they offer heated elements. They have six different foam saddles inserts for different weight/sizes that are glued into your custom carved stock seat. They carved them to perfectly fit the 9rs cowlings and trimmed rack bars (see first photo, and note this carefully in the spec!). Finish with custom a stitch material cover you select! It wasn't cheap for two foam inserts (front & passenger) but worth every penny! My wife bought it for my Bday.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 AM
CB900

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Corbin saddle with the backrest option if she likes. Problem solved.

I LIKE that seat man!! Me wants one.. What kinda dollars for one of those??

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #11 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

dream what did the seat end up costing you?

I have a corbin, but like that seats looks. I don't like the slickness of the corbin.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #12 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all your responses....looks like Corbin is the way to go..Cheers, Chally.

post #13 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
dream what did the seat end up costing you?

I have a corbin, but like that seats looks. I don't like the slickness of the corbin.
The custom BMS with TWO dense foam inserts and leather cover ~$550. My Pillion says it was worth every cent! That also includes one adjustment. Out of Cali you wouldn't pay the Gubenator tax. There are a few folks you love giving biz too and Rocky Mayer gets my vote! He had just returned from a cross country solo trip on his BMW ST over the freezing CO Rockies!

post #14 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Tire abuser

I would take the original seat into a boat upholstery place and talk to someone who has done bike seats before. I live in a small city of 100 000 people and there are at least 3 shops that will do this, with a price tag of around $80- $150. The guy I go to will put in whatever you want (memory foam, gel inserts, extra padding, reduced padding, a custom cover, etc.) for a pretty cheap price.

You could send it away for $500 and wait two months, but I prefer to talk to and see the person who is actually going to do the work. Support your local shop or don't complain when it is outsourced overseas.

post #15 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtsimmons View Post
I would take the original seat into a boat upholstery place and talk to someone who has done bike seats before. I live in a small city of 100 000 people and there are at least 3 shops that will do this, with a price tag of around $80- $150. The guy I go to will put in whatever you want (memory foam, gel inserts, extra padding, reduced padding, a custom cover, etc.) for a pretty cheap price.

You could send it away for $500 and wait two months, but I prefer to talk to and see the person who is actually going to do the work. Support your local shop or don't complain when it is outsourced overseas.
Prtsimmons, you might be onto something here. I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by Boat shops and hadn't previously explored this option...Much cheaper than a Corbin and as you say I can discuss face to face my personal requirements.....Cheers, Chally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode