Help me decide to go naked. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Help me decide to go naked.

I had a SV650s, but wanted more performance. So, I bought a 03 R6. But, I've always had a thing for naked bikes. My riding consists mainly of weekend runs in the mountains and 3-4 trackdays a year. My short list is a Z1000, 919, and Speed Triple. I'm leaning towards the 919 but it's hard to decide without being able to ride one. I've ridden the Z1000. It's cool, but no more comfortable than my R6. Have any of you gone from a sportbike to a street bike? Will I be dissapointed in the handling? What about trackdays? What year did the 919 get adjustable suspension? And what adjustments does it have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 05:06 PM

Awards Showcase
Law Enforcement 
Total Awards: 1

If you like naked bikes just turn the R6 into a streetfighter......just my .02

post #3 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM

Awards Showcase
Law Enforcement 

Oh yeah, welcome to the site. Good to see another person from NC on here.

post #4 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
cyclerider105

I've had a lot of bikes and I totally LOVE the 919. Comfortable to ride all day and yet still handles pretty darn good IMO. Smooth steady powerband that pulls hard from the get go. Preload on the front forks started in 2004 I believe. Sweet bike!

post #5 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 07:28 PM

Love my 919, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrrider
If you like naked bikes just turn the R6 into a streetfighter......just my .02

2nded.

post #6 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Doesn't someone on here have Ohlins on order for their 919? I'd think they could tell you what the bike turns into after doing that. Could help.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #7 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Last bike was an R6. I WILL NEVER SELL MY 919. Cannot be beat for all around rideability. I have ridden across the country three times, I do track days about three a year (just bought a cheap track bike for next season, though). I did that more so that I wont ruin my 9 by low-siding it. As for the suspension: adjustable in '04. Upgrading suspension, not worth it. It is not a super high performance track bike and it never will be. It does everything well, but nothing the best. If track is your passion, get a track bike. If you cant decide what you'd rather do, stick with the nine. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!! Hope this helps...

post #8 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Speed Trip is pretty sweet too though...

post #9 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Since I only do a few trackdays a year, that's not my priority. I just don't want to give it up. What's the limiting factor on the 919's cornering ability? Suspension? Ground clearance? Surely the stock suspension is better than the SV650.

BTW, I really like the new Speed Triple. It's just a little out of my price range.

post #10 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Trickhornet

Wow your top choices are my fav nakeds! I havnt riden a tripple but a buddy has one and loves it, I love my 919 to death and will be buying another one or a z1000. My brother had a z1000 so I got a lot of time on that and it earned a lot in my mind with those cool pipes. Seriously your picking from three very good bikes just read up and try to test ride all of them.

post #11 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM
919 City Pilot

limiting factors
Ask Mike the Dark Lord of Ducks that one....

Mostly skill and having the confidence to ride the 9er hard.......not the most stable platforms for hard cornering.......

post #12 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 08:31 PM

I would look into some rear sets. Other than that youll have a pretty competant track bike.

post #13 of 34 Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Immune

Before I bought me 919 the bikes I was looking at was 919, Z1000, Kaw 1200, FZ1. I loved the look of the 919 and one of the comparison I read on MC magazine about the naked bikes. The 919 had the best handling and the others had better power. 919 not the most power for a naked bike but handles great and suspension adjustable 2004 or newer.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #14 of 34 Old 03-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Have any of you gone from a sportbike to a street bike?
Prior to my 919 I rode a R6 for 5 years. I thought about turning the R6 into a streetfighter but decided against it. After 5 years with the same bike it was time for a new one.

Quote:
Will I be disappointed in the handling?
Not as long as you realize that you are not riding a sportbike like your R6.

Quote:
What about trackdays?
We have quite a few 919's here that are used for track days. Depending on your skill level rearsets might be in order.

Quote:
What year did the 919 get adjustable suspension? And what adjustments does it have?
In 2004 the 919 received adj. preload and rebound damping for the forks and adj. rebound out back.

Best advise is to ride one and compare. What is good for someone else might not appeal to you.

post #15 of 34 Old 03-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Since I only do a few trackdays a year, that's not my priority. I just don't want to give it up. What's the limiting factor on the 919's cornering ability? Suspension? Ground clearance? Surely the stock suspension is better than the SV650.
The frame is just this wussy little steel backbone and the swingarm has no linkage. The SV does have budget suspension, like the 9er, but it has a very stiff frame when compared to the 919.

One of my friends has the SV650S and another has the SV650, so I've ridden both. Don't expect the 919 to engine brake like the SV, or turn in nearly as fast. It's a heavy bike compared to the featherweight SV, but it does have its strong points. The 919 is a bike you can live with every day, but you make compromises to have such a bike.

Did trick just say he had a "buddy" with a triple? I could have sworn he said that guy gave the triple a bad name... Done threadjacking!

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #16 of 34 Old 03-23-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Would you say on a tight road the 919 outperforms the SV?

post #17 of 34 Old 03-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Who's riding?

Honestly, I'd have to say that a really tight road probably favors the SV. It weighs crap plus you have a nice low-end. A medium tight road probably goes to the 919, just based on horsies. But truly, it all comes down to the rider. My buddy with the 650S can't ride for sh!t, so I can kill him on any corner. My buddy with the standard 650 is really good, so on the really tight roads he cooks me, but I walk away on sweepers, ramps, etc.

Everything is too subjective. Ride both back to back if you can, make your decision based on that. I really like the SV, I just like my bike more.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #18 of 34 Old 03-24-2006, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919
Who's riding?

Everything is too subjective. Ride both back to back if you can, make your decision based on that. I really like the SV, I just like my bike more.

I used to own an SV, so fairly familiar with them. I just can't find a 919 to ride. It's a tough decision when you don't know what you're getting in to.

Anybody with a 919 want to go for a ride and try out a R6?

post #19 of 34 Old 03-24-2006, 11:59 AM
tomvan72

I used to have a 900ss duc. I got my 919 by accident. Not really, but I was looking for a dual sport to comute on. When I saw the 919 iwas in awe. It looked awesome. The guy in the shop let me crank it and take it around the block. I quitely gave him back the key and did not say a word. I ran home got on the computer found an 04 with 1500 miles on it. Drove 4 hours and paid $5000 cash for it. I rode it home in 3 hours. My girlfriend was pissed. I had not been on a bike for 3 years. I did not tire one bit on the ride home!

post #20 of 34 Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Trickhornet

"My buddy with the 650S can't ride for sh!t"

Bock you must understand my situation with my buddy on the tripple.

post #21 of 34 Old 03-27-2006, 01:03 PM
tomvan72

Nick, If you like come to Asheville and you can ride my 919.

post #22 of 34 Old 03-27-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72
Nick, If you like come to Asheville and you can ride my 919.

Thanks for the offer. If I'm over that direction, you'll be the first to know.

post #23 of 34 Old 03-27-2006, 02:09 PM
tomvan72

No worries!

post #24 of 34 Old 03-27-2006, 02:20 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Nick, can we talk here? Let's just say that you went and bought a..............
SPEED TRIPLE! All it would take is the cash, you know. Then, I could live vicariously, but not irresponsibly through you. Depending on your riding skill, you could be docile yet menacing, fearless and confident, surgicly precise. Your ride would be a supreme statement of independance, that exibits a unique growl that few could rival. Single swing arm, dual high swept almost undertail cans, crazy wicked dual beams...................and a 955 motor!!!
Chicks will flock to your bedroom to be that much closer to your garage.
Well, maybe. Then again, if you are gay, maybe skipman might show up OK, forget about those last two sentences. But I think you catch my drift. Speed Triple Speed Triple Speed Triple Speed Triple Speed Triple, you sill here these words in your sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #25 of 34 Old 03-27-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

My first choice would be the Speed Triple. I just can't afford a new one and can't find a used one. Maybe I could swing the $10k for the bike, but there's no way I could risk taking that thing to a trackday. It's not like you can find a gas tank and forks on eBay. Hell, it's hard enough to find brake pads for it. The only place I know you could get them is the dealership. I've spent enough time drooling over them though. I think I've seen all the colors. Black, white, yellow, and blue.

post #26 of 34 Old 03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Nobody said you have to hang it all the way out on the track to have fun. If you are going to agonize about the posibility of wadding the thing up, don't buy any bike new, and don't give a darn about the cosmetics then. I love to keep my bike clean, but if I go down, I'm gonna care alot more about my bones and the skin they are wrapped in than a bunch of plastic and metal.
Plenty of the folks around here have a streeter plus a track bike, but I bet you have already thought about that. Hey, no matter what you decide on, if it has two wheels, it ain't half bad.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #27 of 34 Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I forgot about the SV1000. Seems like another good choice. Only naked in 03 though.

post #28 of 34 Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrrider
Oh yeah, welcome to the site. Good to see another person from NC on here.
Hey! there are actually quite a few of us from N.C. here.

See ---->https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...4631#post34631

Welcome Nick.

post #29 of 34 Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Tirone

I considered a 919, though not too sriously, and almost bought an SV650, still wouldn't mind having one, but finally decided on a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple. Man, that bike is a hoot! It's naked, looks agressive, got an upright riding position that suits me perfect after back surgery, has terrific acceleration, and the list goes on. I got it for under MSRP and I ain't lookin' back.
Fred

post #30 of 34 Old 08-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Milites Gregarius

I wish I had my R6 back. I like the 919, but to do it all over again I would get another R6.
the 9ner is very comfortable and gets tons of complments though

post #31 of 34 Old 08-20-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson
I wish I had my R6 back. I like the 919, but to do it all over again I would get another R6.
the 9ner is very comfortable and gets tons of complments though
Well hell, I've got a R6 and you've got a 919. Trade?

I just bought a dedicated track bike, so that is no longer a consideration in choosing a street bike.

post #32 of 34 Old 08-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Well hell, I've got a R6 and you've got a 919. Trade?

I just bought a dedicated track bike, so that is no longer a consideration in choosing a street bike.
ooooh dont do this to me!

what year,condtion,milage, any pictures? you never know what may happen. (I found your R6 post, man your killing me!)

I had decided to keep the 919 this year and get a track bike my self too. but I havent goten the track bike yet.

post #33 of 34 Old 08-20-2006, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson
ooooh dont do this to me!

what year,condtion,milage, any pictures? you never know what may happen. (I found your R6 post, man your killing me!)

I had decided to keep the 919 this year and get a track bike my self too. but I havent goten the track bike yet.

2003, about 14000 miles and slowly climbing since I'm still riding it

pictures: http://home.triad.rr.com/thesmithswssk/R6/ -- last night I pulled the Stompgrip off the tank and stuck it on my new (to me) track bike.

I lowsided at the track last year with my race bodywork on it. It ground down the stator cover and the frame slider a little. It also bent the shift lever, but I just used that as an excuse to buy Vortex adjustable rearsets. Before I list it on Cycletrader I was going to get a stator cover off of eBay and I already have an extra frame slider. After replacing those items it would once again be in pristine condition. I do all the maintenance myself and keep records of oil changes as well as ALL items listed in the service manual. This includes synchronizing throttle bodies and lubing suspension linkages and the swingarm pivot.

If you want it to double as a track bike, I've got everything you need. I've got race bodywork, steering damper, and upgraded brake pads and lines. The tires are Dunlop Qualifiers with one trackday and maybe 500 street miles on them.

post #34 of 34 Old 08-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
2003, about 14000 miles and slowly climbing since I'm still riding it

pictures: http://home.triad.rr.com/thesmithswssk/R6/ -- last night I pulled the Stompgrip off the tank and stuck it on my new (to me) track bike.

I lowsided at the track last year with my race bodywork on it. It ground down the stator cover and the frame slider a little. It also bent the shift lever, but I just used that as an excuse to buy Vortex adjustable rearsets. Before I list it on Cycletrader I was going to get a stator cover off of eBay and I already have an extra frame slider. After replacing those items it would once again be in pristine condition. I do all the maintenance myself and keep records of oil changes as well as ALL items listed in the service manual. This includes synchronizing throttle bodies and lubing suspension linkages and the swingarm pivot.

If you want it to double as a track bike, I've got everything you need. I've got race bodywork, steering damper, and upgraded brake pads and lines. The tires are Dunlop Qualifiers with one trackday and maybe 500 street miles on them.
you have mail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode