Help! I thought I had an 02 - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By robtharalson
  • 1 Post By Mattsw66

post #1 of 9 Old 10-11-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Help! I thought I had an 02

Hello guys, long-time lurker with my first post. Anyway, i need some help.

I've had the bike for a little over 2 years now, and just got ready to change my fork seals cause they are leaking pretty bad. Bought all the necessary parts, fork seal kits, new bushings just in case, and new brake pads cause those are on their last legs, too. Today was finally the day, got the forks off and the first one disassembled. Here is where I messed up...this whole time I thought I had an 2002, but what is this? Pre-load adjustment? This fork doesn't look like the one in the manual... Panic ensues. Long story short: I have a 2004. I checked part numbers and I'm fine on brakes, and on the slider bushing, but the seal kit doesn't match - 51490-MCF-000 for '02 51490-MCF-003 for the '04 according to Bike Bandit.

So my (possibly stupid) question is this: since I have my forks taken apart, with new parts (race tech springs included, yay!) am I going to have to return the 02 seal kit and buy the 04 set? Its obviously what I should do, mis-matching part numbers as such, but I work on Monday, and while possible to set-up another ride, I kinda need my bike to get to work. Advice?

Last thing: I love this forum, its been indispensable in helping me learn about the 919. Thanks for reading, and for any help you might be able to offer!

P.S. I have a pdf of the 02-03 service manual that I have been using to help with this, but can't find the later ones, only dead links and fishy sites that probably don't even have the link. Anyone have a working link for the right service manual?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 07:22 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Looking up the sliders, stanchions, bushings, and some other minor parts relating to the forks the numbers match up from 2002 to 2007. The only difference is the part number for the seal kit. There may be something as inconsequential as a lighter garter spring in the seal or a different wiper configuration, but given the sliders and stanchion tubes have the same part number over the entire model run it is safe to say the seals and wipers will fit your forks.

Of course it is up to you to decide whether to go with the seal kits you have or get the "right" kits for your year. Personally, I would go ahead with the parts on hand, but I'm not in your shoes.

Rob
mcromo44, K1w1Boy and rufftup like this.

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Pilus Posterior

Given what Rob said, I'd open the bag very carefully and measure the height to see if they'll fit in the space provided. I'd clean up the old ones and do a side by side. I'm guessing the size of the tubes are the same, but the holder area might be larger/smaller/thinner. So I'd check that with a side by side.

One note if you haven't done this before. The 14mm nut on the inside needs to be adjusted so that you have enough turns on the inner adjustment (rebound). I didn't know that and so I have to remove the top and redo the nut adjustment. It's not mentioned in the book.

If this isn't clear, before you put the forks back on for the final time, check that you have enough turns of the inner adjustment, if you don't move that nut until you do. I think mine was at 1.5 turns and should be much more than that.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Tesserarius

How do you not know what year motorcycle you have?

post #5 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder what ownership and bill of sale shows..............

post #6 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder what ownership and bill of sale shows..............
Maybe it is indeed an 02 as his paperwork and chassis info might ultimately confirm, and the explanation would then be that at some point a previous owner put on a set of 04+ forks.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Mattsw66

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Looking up the sliders, stanchions, bushings, and some other minor parts relating to the forks the numbers match up from 2002 to 2007. The only difference is the part number for the seal kit. There may be something as inconsequential as a lighter garter spring in the seal or a different wiper configuration, but given the sliders and stanchion tubes have the same part number over the entire model run it is safe to say the seals and wipers will fit your forks.
You were correct, Rob. The fork seals have identical numbers stamped on them, while the 02 dust seals are marked BR4730G while the 04 are BR4730H. They look identical, though. I couldn't spot any difference at least. But I got one fork all assembled, everything fit up fine. Thanks for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
One note if you haven't done this before. The 14mm nut on the inside needs to be adjusted so that you have enough turns on the inner adjustment (rebound). I didn't know that and so I have to remove the top and redo the nut adjustment. It's not mentioned in the book.
Karl, I saw your thread about this earlier, thanks for bringing this up, I found I did have to adjust things a little bit to get the correct amount of turns. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Who knows!? I think I got it in my head one day that it was an 02 and that was that, even though I've looked at those rebound adjusters countless times over the last couple years. But I did confirm, chassis says 2004, registration says 2004. I honestly don't know *shrug*

Thanks again everyone!

post #8 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Tesserarius

What color is it? I'm pretty sure the 02s were matte black. The 04s, in the US at least, were silver and gloss black.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I did not know that. Mine is silver.
rufftup likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode