Help! Cylinder 1 Not Firing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Help! Cylinder 1 Not Firing

I'm supposed to go on a ride tomorrow and when I fired up the bike this morning, Cylinder 1 (left/kickstand side) is not firing. When I first started it it was not sounding right, I noticed a strong fuel smell coming from the exhaust, and when I tried to slip the clutch to roll out of the garage, it just died (no power). I pushed it back in the garage, put it on the stand, and all the header pipes are quite warm and cylinder 1 is cold as ice.

I've ridden it every day for the last week with the exception of Friday. It was raining. Friday night I did start it and move it out of the garage to do some painting, then started it again to move it back in, and it ran fine.

I've already pulled all the side panels and raised the tank. I'm going to go back in the garage and will pull that plug for inspection. I'm also going to check the connections on the coils.

Any ideas?

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Pulled the plug and it is solid black on the end.

post #3 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I pulled the number 4 plug as well and it was quite black as well. Cleaned off the number 1 plug, reinstalled both 4 and 1. Started it and it ran fine. I'm going to go on a short (30 mile) ride to a friends house to use a real plug cleaner on all 4.

Could this be because I just put around to and from work all the time? Usually I stay under 5,000 RPM and only occasionally get above 7,000 for very short bursts.

post #4 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

how many miles are on your plugs?

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Mc 9er

not sure of the cause,but if it runs better on cleaned plugs, maybe they need to be replaced, hopefully somone else can give you a much better answer,good luck with it, let us know what you find.

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #6 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #7 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

What the...

I'm at my friend's house now. Stopped here on my ride.

I put brand new NGK plugs in it about 1,500 miles ago. I sanded down the plugs a little before going on a ride and it idled fine. Went inside, cleaned up the house, got my gear on, and when I fired it up, it was doing the same thing again. I pulled the plug, sanded it again, and made it about 20 miles with no problems...ran like a kitten. I'm going to pull them again and glass blast them in a plug blaster.

I did find something odd under the tank... what is this? A manual fuel regulator? Sorry the photo is blurry but it is a cell phone photo. Details...it is a J shaped metal hook that is clamping on the line running from the fuel pump to the injector fuel rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC-0020.jpg (106.2 KB, 91 views)

post #8 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I do not recall seeing that on my tank when I changed my plugs. It kind of seems like it could be a manual fuel regulator, but crude way to do so.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #9 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 04:35 PM
919 City Pilot

used bike? I've not seen that either. Connections on the coil good? Miles?

The number 1 cyl on mine shows rich but has always run fine.....

post #10 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

it is used. I bought it from the original owner and it had right at 16,000 miles on it. I checked the connections on the coils and they are all good. Now has 18,000 miles on it.

Does anyone know if that clamp is stock? I'm thinking maybe it needs a fuel pressure regulator but the guy just clamped the hose. After the ride this weekend, I may remove the clamp all together depending on responses from you guys.

post #11 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Look in our 919 Helpful Topics for gas fouled plugs.

post #12 of 49 Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Tirone

there is nothing in the factory service manual about a fuel presure regulator, I would say that the previous owner had rigged that in there to maybe do a quick fix for a fouling problem, you could maybe give a hoter heat range sparkplug a try and see how that goes.

theres no such thing as stupid questions only stupid people
post #13 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Look in our 919 Helpful Topics for gas fouled plugs.
I read that just after pulling the plugs, but it seemed like people were having problems with cylinders 2 and 3. I'll re-read it when I'm actually awake and check things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor3114 View Post
there is nothing in the factory service manual about a fuel presure regulator, I would say that the previous owner had rigged that in there to maybe do a quick fix for a fouling problem, you could maybe give a hoter heat range sparkplug a try and see how that goes.
After I ride today, that thing is coming off to see what really happens. I wonder if this is why the fuel pump sounds whiny like it's working hard all the time. Previous owner said it sounded normal. If I meet up with Sniper today, I'll look at his fuel line and pay attention to the sounds of his fuel pump.

post #14 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Tirone

Yea man that thing doesent belong on there take it off and see what happens good idea to go to a little hotter plug too if youre having the fouling issue alot it might help ,on start up do you pull the choke or just fire it up ?
I know at work when we have sport bikes come in we like to ride them from parking lot into the shop the short hop tends to foul plugs on the inline fours.
myself on my bike I pull choke and let it warm up before I take off It could all be improper warm up procedure??

post #15 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I'll try just muscling it in and out of the garage in neutral instead of starting it and letting it run for 45 seconds.

Morning warm-up goes like this....

Start motorcycle (no choke)
Put on...
Jacket
Earplugs
helmet
Gloves
Sit on bike, check for throttle response
I may or may not ever pull out the choke and when I do, I will hold it on for less than 1 minute.

During normal riding, the temp. needle almost never gets above the little notch. Only goes higher when riding through town going slow.

post #16 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Tirone

I really only use the choke on the first start up of the day,in the afternoons when I go to lunch I start up pretty much like you do ,did you take the frankenstien off of there ??
It may well be the vaccume leak deal in the helpful topics depending on how old the bike is the diaphraghm may be bad or a vaccume leak at one of the connections ,we had a customer not too long ago tell us about this same issue but they never brought the bike in so I really have no first hand experience with it ,my 919 is an 07 and Ive not had any issues yet but im sure somone here has ,definately follow the thread in the helpful topics about it and track down the vaccume hoses and check them for cracks and such I wouldent know how else to check with out the mity vac though.

post #17 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

you know... you could just buy some triumph stickers and put speed triple on the side of it....

its fuel injected why do you guys use the "choke"??.... then again i live in florida and its never cold here...

post #18 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Funny...I did ride with a 3 cylinder Triumph Trophy today! I'm taking off that stupid looking clamp tonight and will see how she runs after that. I'm guessing that the plugs will foul quite fast. If so, then I'm guessing I'll need to replace the Fuel Regulator Valve.

post #19 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Mc 9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
you know... you could just buy some triumph stickers and put speed triple on the side of it....

its fuel injected why do you guys use the "choke"??.... then again i live in florida and its never cold here...
its not really a choke, its more like to bump up the idle in the cold,i guess to get the juices flowing,and get it warmed up.

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #20 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Discen

if the plugs are not getting hot enough to get the point of "self cleaning" then they will foul. If you look at service manual increments for cars, if you look it will say harder driving which usually groups short runs up and down the road. I commute 5 miles to work in a jeep, and follow the maintenance schedule that is classified for hard driving.

Iridium plugs might be an option, as i have heard people commute short distances on a bike are helped going ot iridium as they are still able to reach self cleaning stage.

ditto the choke is actually an enrichener.

post #21 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Cornicen

correct plug gap is critical, improper will foul.

post #22 of 49 Old 10-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

IMO: Plugs are not the issue. Did you see rob's plugs after 40k or 50K miles. His bike was still running strong.

post #23 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I do not suspect the plugs either. They are all gaped at .030 inch per the manual. My gear smelled like 2 month old bugs so it is in the wash today. Tonight I will take off that stupid looking clamp on the fuel line, put it in my pocket (just in case ), and ride tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

After thinking about it, I can come up with the following reasons for the clamp...
1. There was a problem with the fuel regulator valve, so rather than replace the valve, the previous owner just restricted fuel flow right at the source
2. He clamped down the line for winter storage (why? I don't know.) and forgot to take it off. Somehow the line wasn't blocked all the way so it still ran.
3. He thought it was a performance mod.

No matter the reason, it will come off. I'm betting that with it out of the way, the real problem, if any, will be immediate and easily identified.

If it ends up being a pressure regulator, what do those cost?

post #24 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Tirone

what year is it and ill look it up at work tomorrow

post #25 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

It's an '03.

post #26 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
It's an '03.
RonAyers.com $57 and some change.

http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts....e.ronayers.com

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #27 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I do not suspect the plugs either. They are all gaped at .030 inch per the manual. My gear smelled like 2 month old bugs so it is in the wash today. Tonight I will take off that stupid looking clamp on the fuel line, put it in my pocket (just in case ), and ride tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

After thinking about it, I can come up with the following reasons for the clamp...
1. There was a problem with the fuel regulator valve, so rather than replace the valve, the previous owner just restricted fuel flow right at the source
2. He clamped down the line for winter storage (why? I don't know.) and forgot to take it off. Somehow the line wasn't blocked all the way so it still ran.
3. He thought it was a performance mod.

No matter the reason, it will come off. I'm betting that with it out of the way, the real problem, if any, will be immediate and easily identified.

If it ends up being a pressure regulator, what do those cost?
i tell you what... i will go with you and i'll hold him and you can beat the confession out of him..

actually i agree with you that clamp was some kinda jerry rigged pressure regulator...

post #28 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i tell you what... i will go with you and i'll hold him and you can beat the confession out of him..

actually i agree with you that clamp was some kinda jerry rigged pressure regulator...
I don't know if beating an older, retired corporate lawyer would be a good idea.

post #29 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Mc 9er

Quote:
I don't know if beating an older, retired corporate lawyer would be a good idea.
maybe you could stand across the street and call him names

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #30 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:

dude... he's a lawyer... i'm pretty sure that gives you brownie points in the afterlife if you beat up a lawyer.... lol

post #31 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have very little respect for the 3 lawyers and the 1 judge I know. I don't even know the previous owner of Murph's bike, but because of the little clamp-band aid, I don't care for that bastage either.

Just fix it and move on. Maybe Nemo's bike will get declared totaled, and she, out of the goodness of her heart, will send you her fuel rectifier for a mere pittance.

post #32 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

If I'm feeling real spunky tonight I may take photos and post a how-to on checking for a bad fuel regulator. If it does indeed troubleshoot as a bad regulator, you'll see me looking for one in the Wanted To Buy section.

post #33 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The re-worked FPR from Turbo City works good, it smoothes out throttle transitions a little more than the stock unit.

Dan

post #34 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

alright. I've raised the tank, removed the clamp, then i removed the hose the clamp was on, runs from the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel pump. Oops. I dumped about a half a cup of gas on the engine/floor. Fun. It looks clean and shiny now that it's been thoroughly wiped down.

I see the vacuum line that I should have removed temporarily, but it Ys off a couple times before I can even get to a connector.

1. Why would the clamp be on a line for fuel, is that the fuel return line?
2. Where should I remove the vacuum line from?

post #35 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
919 City Pilot

Was it Kali bike? maybe he didnt want it dripping fuel after he pulled the charcoal canister......

post #36 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

don't think it was a California bike. I picked it up at the dealership that sold it to him in Louisville, KY. How can I tell if it is a California model?

post #37 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

After I took the clamp off and started the bike, it ran a little rough and the idle dropped from about 1,200 RPM to about 900 RPM. I'm going to take it for a short ride down the street to see how it responds.

post #38 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I'm back from my ride. I rode about 2 miles. And am uncertain of the outcome. When I first started it up I noticed it was running a little rough and idling low. When I got my helmet and started it again, it was idling fine and sounded great. Also noted that the fuel pump was MUCH quieter than before both when I first turned on the key and when it was running. It used to whine like a whipped cat, now it just hums. On the ride, it seemed more responsive than ever. I'm going to see if I can check the vacuum line and just see how it goes.

Anyone here know what line was clamped? Would that line being clamped cause extra stress on the fuel pump which was why it was so noisy?

post #39 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Update...The hose that was clamped is the fuel return.

post #40 of 49 Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

maybe it was somekindasuperfuelboosterclamperthingie.....

or maybe the old owner was a fruitcake....lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode