help! asap !bike wont start! - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 101
Rep Power: 1
 
help! asap !bike wont start!

it is Saturday morning and we have a big ride planned and for the first time ever the 919 wont start. It turns over, but will not fire...it keeps making the noise after I run the starter for 4 or 5 seconds....the noise the bike makes when you cycle the kill switch off then on...the electric humming where everything goes through a test. Never seen this before. Help...the ride leaves in 45 mins.

greenkaz04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Old, Bold rider
 
robtharalson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 2,354
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Fuel, air, spark. Obviously you need all three.

The pump is running so the kill switch is on (it wont crank or run the pump if the kill switch is off). Assuming there is fuel in the tank you can be pretty sure it's getting burnable stuff.

Unless a rat built a nest in the intake overnight you're getting air.

Which leaves spark.

In this case the most likely problem is fuel fouled plugs. Try starting it with the throttle wide open -- this is a feature called "dechoke", which cuts fuel during cranking. This gives the engine lots of air in order to clear the cylinders of excess fuel and light the fires. Once it fires up (the optimistic view) you will probably have to keep it running with a little throttle until all the plugs are cooperating.

This is all you can do in the time allotted. Past that you're pulling plugs and checking things with a voltmeter.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
robtharalson is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Immune
 
mantelhonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: southern california
Posts: 346
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkaz04 View Post
it is Saturday morning and we have a big ride planned and for the first time ever the 919 wont start. It turns over, but will not fire...it keeps making the noise after I run the starter for 4 or 5 seconds....the noise the bike makes when you cycle the kill switch off then on...the electric humming where everything goes through a test. Never seen this before. Help...the ride leaves in 45 mins.
I think you may have weak battery or lose or corroded connections .

mantelhonda is offline  
post #4 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 AM
CG
 
catonsvilleguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Catonsville, MD
Posts: 593
Rep Power: 1
 
Sounds like it might be a bad connection if you're getting that startup hum repeatedly. If you have a PCIII, I would check the tapped in connection and the other small connection. I assume the big connectors are probably O.K. but check them too.

catonsvilleguy is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,284
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Like said, if you've got a PCIII yank it out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Open throttle wide and then crank it over. My zx10r will do the same thing on occasion,

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
Bigdaa is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,284
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Well, he either got it started, or is in such despair he can't type.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Well, he either got it started, or is in such despair he can't type.
Let's hope he has a good ride.........

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
Bigdaa is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I killed Barton664
 
Basspiece919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Home is Warrenton VA, School is JMU.
Posts: 1,653
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

The almost never fail method is rolling it down a hill and bump starting it...

Spoiler:
Basspiece919 is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Imaginifer
 
tc919er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post
The almost never fail method is rolling it down a hill and bump starting it...
Yeah, but it's a beotch if it doesn't!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
tc919er is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,284
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
Yeah, but it's a beotch if it doesn't!
Only if you want to get it back up the hill.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member
 
Pacojerte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ft lauderdale fl
Posts: 12,874
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

what is this "hill" you humans speak of??



Pacojerte is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Tirone shoelaces
 
TexasTraffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 744
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
what is this "hill" you humans speak of??
Oh yea... In FL those would be called "overpasses".

Can you hear the fuel pump spin when you turn the key to the "On" position?

Check the position of the STOP ENGINE switch (stupid, I know. check it anyway)
Check the Fuel Pump fuse.
Check the Ignition fuse.


There's more, though I bet your problem is somewhere in the path above (bad fuse or associated relay).

TexasTraffic is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 02:02 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better
 
starman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 268
Rep Power: 1
 
Try clicking through the gears a little to make sure the neutral switch is engaged. I assume it would be the same switch that turns on the neutral light, but I'm not sure.

If the neutral switch is busted or out of alignment, you can still start the bike by getting on it and raising the kickstand.

He says there's a hum when he turns the key, so the fuel pump is running, so the tilt sensor is probably fine.

starman is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member
 
Pacojerte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ft lauderdale fl
Posts: 12,874
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post

He says there's a hum when he turns the key, so the fuel pump is running, so the tilt sensor is probably fine.
maybe it forgot the words



Pacojerte is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 04:34 PM
UJM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saint Joseph Missouri
Posts: 1,686
Rep Power: 0
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

kill switch?

UJM is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....
 
Border's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 765
Rep Power: 1
 
Strawberry Pop Tarts will do that to me.

Border is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Signifer
 
scgstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Maybe it was flooding the cylinders and he pulled a plug and wanted to look inside. When he flicked the bic to see what was in the cylinder......BOOM.......

He will post back after he gets outta the burn unit.

Shawn

2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE (Speedy - Street Bike)
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Shamu - Track Bike)
scgstuff is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Milites Gregarius
 
hawkeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oklahoma city ok
Posts: 172
Rep Power: 1
 
I'll agree with Mantelhonda and say it's the battery. I had the same thing happen. It would turn the engine over very strong but would not fire. Replaced the battery (thanks to the suggestions of you fine folk!) and no problemo.

hawkeze is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 05:36 PM
919 City Pilot
 
Pegjumpflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson Wasteland
Posts: 1,043
Rep Power: 1
 
Hes kinda quite...bets the kick stand was down,,,,,,,,,,

Pegjumpflyer is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Cornicen
 
drivit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: toronto
Posts: 530
Rep Power: 1
 
thanks, i just ate all the strawberry pop tarts.

drivit is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 101
Rep Power: 1
 
heya guys....

I made it today. I actually took off about 15 mins late but I knew which direction the ride was headed and it wasnt hard to catch a group of 15 riders I ran the battery down trying to start. It is an 04 and I have Never had a problem w starting it. I got the jumper cables out about 15 min after my postthis morning and she started right up....I was weary of turning the bike of throughout hte day but she ran like a champ and I coverd 400 miles. My but hurts but I got some cool photos and we had a blast. Gorgeous day in south GA. Thanks for all the responses.....I do not know why it did not start this morning...but no problems the rest of the day.

greenkaz04 is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member
 
Pacojerte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ft lauderdale fl
Posts: 12,874
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkaz04 View Post
heya guys....

I made it today. I actually took off about 15 mins late but I knew which direction the ride was headed and it wasnt hard to catch a group of 15 riders I ran the battery down trying to start. It is an 04 and I have Never had a problem w starting it. I got the jumper cables out about 15 min after my postthis morning and she started right up....I was weary of turning the bike of throughout hte day but she ran like a champ and I coverd 400 miles. My but hurts but I got some cool photos and we had a blast. Gorgeous day in south GA. Thanks for all the responses.....I do not know why it did not start this morning...but no problems the rest of the day.
well post up some pics.... glad you figured it out...



Pacojerte is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Signifer
 
scgstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

So, no burn unit? That is GREAT news!

Shawn

2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE (Speedy - Street Bike)
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Shamu - Track Bike)
scgstuff is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 11-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
For reference, I had this problem and it was a fuse

brian is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
battery tender. essential

Sniper is offline  
post #27 of 33 Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 AM
CG
 
catonsvilleguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Catonsville, MD
Posts: 593
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
battery tender. essential
+1

I picked up the 4 bank unit. Keeps the 919, scooter, lawn mower (off season, NA for Paco), kid's car waiting for his license, all fresh and ready to go. Amazon had the one I got cheaper than anybody else I found.

catonsvilleguy is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 101
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
For reference, I had this problem and it was a fuse
fuses have to be replaced when they are blown....I did nothing but walk away for 15 mins.....I think something was acting weird with the fuel injection....either way..I am going for another ride this afternoon. I gota get all i can before I deploy in december.

greenkaz04 is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I am BATMAN!!!
 
justintyme73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ft. Collins CO
Posts: 4,660
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Fuel Injected bikes like a strong battery, just because you have enough juice to turn it over may not be enough to start it. You need enough juice to crank it, run the fuel pump, ignition system, ecm, etc. everything.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
justintyme73 is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old 11-15-2009, 01:39 PM
UJM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saint Joseph Missouri
Posts: 1,686
Rep Power: 0
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
battery tender. essential
Absolutely

UJM is offline  
post #31 of 33 Old 11-15-2009, 06:10 PM
BrokeRecord
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Monroe,La
Posts: 1,180
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I wasn't gonna say this but, a couple of months ago, I bumped my kill switch doing 70mph on the free way. The bike died. I looked it over and over again. No go, so, I call my bride. She hooks the trailer up, no gas in the truck, so she fills up. Then comes looking for me 15 miles out. We pull in the ditch off the shoulder and shove (hard) the bike up the ramp. Tie it down good. Use 4wd to get out of ditch. Get on hi way still in 4wd mode and get wheel wind up. Straighten that out and head home. We start to unload the bike and I'm eyeball to eyeball with the kill switch.
I tell bride, I can get it from here! So she goes inside. I piddle around a bit, I flip the switch and hit the starter and looky here bride, I fixed my bike!
And we lived happily ever after.
The word " Kill Switch" is not used in our home!

[
brokerecord is offline  
post #32 of 33 Old 11-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Sike
 
sike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,620
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
I wasn't gonna say this but, a couple of months ago, I bumped my kill switch doing 70mph on the free way. The bike died. I looked it over and over again. No go, so, I call my bride. She hooks the trailer up, no gas in the truck, so she fills up. Then comes looking for me 15 miles out. We pull in the ditch off the shoulder and shove (hard) the bike up the ramp. Tie it down good. Use 4wd to get out of ditch. Get on hi way still in 4wd mode and get wheel wind up. Straighten that out and head home. We start to unload the bike and I'm eyeball to eyeball with the kill switch.
I tell bride, I can get it from here! So she goes inside. I piddle around a bit, I flip the switch and hit the starter and looky here bride, I fixed my bike!
And we lived happily ever after.
The word " Kill Switch" is not used in our home!

I doubt that there is a single one of us here, those of us with multiple decades of riding, that hasn't done something fairly similar. However, only a small percentage would/will man up regarding it. I'm not telling my stories, oops, story....

sike is offline  
post #33 of 33 Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted
 
yostevo052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 628
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkaz04 View Post
fuses have to be replaced when they are blown....I did nothing but walk away for 15 mins.....I think something was acting weird with the fuel injection....either way..I am going for another ride this afternoon. I gota get all i can before I deploy in december.
where ya deployin to man?? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I doubt that there is a single one of us here, those of us with multiple decades of riding, that hasn't done something fairly similar. However, only a small percentage would/will man up regarding it. I'm not telling my stories, oops, story....
only did it once (that's all it took) ... lmfao

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
yostevo052 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome