Help, another blinker problem but can't search for the answer. - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pvster

post #1 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Help, another blinker problem but can't search for the answer.

As stated, I do realize these blinker problems are common so I've searched this to death but can't find any answers on here.

I installed led blinkers front and back and when I signal left or right, all 4 flash together. It's not fast and when I unplug one of them, the opposite side flashes just fine.

I've seen on other sites that the indicator light bridges the loops on other bikes and to pull the indicator and I tried that last night but since we (2002 919) dont have one indicator light, it didnt do anything.

I found the wiring diagram but can't figure out how to fix this, Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 AM
The Cripple

First things first, are your front leds 2 wire or 3 wire? If it's two wire, make sure you connect the turn signal wire, not the running light wire.

Next: if the leds are 3 wire, make sure that ground is connected correctly. Also ensure that running/turn are connected correctly.

For the rear: there are no running lights on the signals. So make sure you connect turn signal wire to turn signal wire. Most modern leds are polarized so you have to pay attention to which lead is which.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Front are 2, all set correctly bc it was working fine as a unit before I added in the back leds. And the back are set right bc if I unplug the front, the back blinkers work fine.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wolak View Post
Front are 2, all set correctly bc it was working fine as a unit before I added in the back leds. And the back are set right bc if I unplug the front, the back blinkers work fine.
Most likely it is in the front, where you have a running light. It sounds like you are back feeding voltage into the blinker side from the running light side. Without cracking the bucket open or looking at a wiring diagram, I am willing to be the ground is green. The other wires...well, a meter will tell you if it is the running light or the blinker. One is hot when the key is on, the other is only hot when the key and that blinker is on.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 03:29 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Then you need to switch the hot lead on your turn signal from the running light wire to the turn signal wire.

post #6 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 03:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You keep saying that, but there has to be something wrong as when they are both plugged in things go wrong.... Try swapping the running light and blinker wires in front and see what happens. Post up pics of the connections you made: both sides, front and rear.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Most likely it is in the front, where you have a running light. It sounds like you are back feeding voltage into the blinker side from the running light side. Without cracking the bucket open or looking at a wiring diagram, I am willing to be the ground is green. The other wires...well, a meter will tell you if it is the running light or the blinker. One is hot when the key is on, the other is only hot when the key and that blinker is on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Then you need to switch the hot lead on your turn signal from the running light wire to the turn signal wire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
You keep saying that, but there has to be something wrong as when they are both plugged in things go wrong.... Try swapping the running light and blinker wires in front and see what happens. Post up pics of the connections you made: both sides, front and rear.

I don't have a picture handy, I'll post one after work just to show that the blinker light is the one powering the front and the running light isn't.

But obviously this is the case based on the conditions, I ran with stock back end and led fronts for about a week with no problems. No running lights but the blinkers worked fine powered by the turn signal lead in.

And the issue right now does seem to be some sort of back feeding issue but as I had said, with all indicators plugged in and the turn signal switch in the neutral postion, none are on. Its only when I switch to turn on one side or the other, that all flash together.

So obviously running light power isnt powering all 4 and it has to be a grounding issue that connects both loops, I just don't know a good spot to ground out them that won't create two separate loops or lose indication on the dash.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-16-2016, 09:48 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
So obviously running light power isnt powering all 4 and it has to be a grounding issue that connects both loops, I just don't know a good spot to ground out them that won't create two separate loops or lose indication on the dash.
Grounding is not the problem. The front has running lights, the rears do not. So you need to double check the wiring. The other possibility is that you've switched the power and ground wires on one of the signals. Again, go back and double check closely. Apply kiss principal here. It worked before you messed with it and now it doesn't. That means you did something to mess it up, go back over and double check your work.
beefsalad likes this.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Josh

Garage
Are you running an LED-compatible flasher? I've seen standard flashers do all kinds of crazy things when run with LED's, including flashing both sides at once.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
Are you running an LED-compatible flasher? I've seen standard flashers do all kinds of crazy things when run with LED's, including flashing both sides at once.
I'm not and thats my issue I think, put it off for the weekend since I was away from home but after triple checking all my wiring, a flasher might be the answer. Know where/what flasher to upgrade to?

post #11 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Josh

Garage
I believe this one works:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...asher/787/842/

I got the same thing off eBay for about $4 from across the pond. I've had no issues with it so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode