Hello and Saddlebags - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hello and Saddlebags

Good day to you all! I’m an enthusiastic 58 year old 919 jockey in Fort Worth, Texas. I’ve been following this forum for 2 years now, and it has been such a wonderful source of information and inspiration that I thought I ought to finally introduce myself and say “Thanks” for the expertise and enthusiasm that you all have shared so generously. My opinion may be less than objective, but I believe the 919 to be the finest all around road machine the world has ever known!

I also wanted to show y’all my latest “modification” to the Honda. I wanted to set the bike up for some road trips and increase its utility by putting some saddlebags on it, but I couldn’t find any thing commercially produced that I really liked or could afford. So, being a long standing amateur boat builder, I thought I’d put my wood working skills to use and design and build my own saddlebags. I got a set of SW Motech saddlebag mounts from Twisted Throttle (a great outfit and an excellent product) and started from there.

I was hoping for as much capacity as possible without becoming disproportionate, and a shape that was harmonious with the lines of the bike. The tops are horizontal so that I can strap a little tent on one side and a sleeping pad on the other. The light colored wood in the framework is Douglas fir, and the panels are thin (3mm) Okume marine plywood. The bags are covered with a layer of lightweight fiberglass cloth, encapsulated with 3 coats of epoxy, and finished off with 4 coats of varnish. (By the way, that “tail bag” is a 30 year old Vetter tank bag that used to live on my 1980 HD Superglide.)

I apologize for the low quality of the pictures. With dial up internet and a first generation digital camera, high resolution is out of my reach!

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!
Ronnie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919 bags stbd.JPG (42.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 919 bags stbd stern quarter.JPG (47.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 919 bags stbd bow.JPG (43.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 919 bags port stern quarter.JPG (66.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 919 bags close up.JPG (39.2 KB, 25 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Welcome!

Not really my cup of tea, but I can understand the need for saddle bags in a large country were you guys do loads more touring and mega distances on average than we do down here.

I do appreciate the workmanship though!

post #3 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Tirone

Nice! A pleasant alternative to the ubiquitous Givi bags. I'm thinking about bags for my 919- how did you mount your "saddleboxes"?

I've been considering a pair of cruiser style bags, relieved in the corners for mounting on a HD springer style bike- thinking if they were mounted with the relief facing rearwards, the 919's pipes could pass thru & allow a closer mount to the frame. Not convinced its viable yet...

I'm not in the least interested in tracking my 919, so the mount can be permanent and I don't mind the extra width. I like to pack tools, raingear, etc all the time, with space on top for a toolbox. I want a setup sort of like the Tenere- you could stash a huge amount of stuff on that bike.

Greg

post #4 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Optio

Hell yea! That is awsome. Can't say I would call it stylish but then again no one has ever accused me of being stylish. So maybe that means they look good!

Anyway. That is awsome you built them yourself. It gets me all kinds of excited to see people building their own stuff. Your wood working skills are way above average. The boxes look great. I might have to get some "average" boat builders to make me some custom wood furnature or new cabinets for my house.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #5 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! Nice craftmanship on the boxes!

post #6 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome Ronnie. When you can, post some close up shots of the bags. The craftmanship on those looks amazing.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Hello, Ronnie,

I like your saddlebags. They should help you get every bit of tourability out of your 919. That you accomplished that with your own two hands instead of whipping out the plastic to buy some other guy's overpriced idea of what a saddlebag should be (like I did) makes a good statement...I wish I had some similar fabricating skills, but it seems all my expertise lies in the opposite direction...

Merry Christmas!

Tom

post #8 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Dragon Slayer

Cool bags, nice work!

post #9 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Welcome Ronnie. Very nice work on the bags. You sir are a true craftsman.

post #10 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Di"zx"en

Ronny,
Too Cool! Love the bags. I know the time and effort it took to make them look that nice. Bunch of great people around here so if you have any thoughts,comments or questions , dont be shy....Two years was too long to be hiding in the wings. 73's....

That'll work........
post #11 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Immune

Welcome!

I think those bags are great. I have never, and probably never will, see another set like it. It's even better that you made them yourself. I love the idea of using a skill you have to personally mod your bike.

Can I get more info about the mounting brackets?
How do they mount to the bike and how do they mount to the bags?
Are these the ones you're referring to?

Sorry, don't mean to bombard the new guy with questions.

post #12 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Princeps Prior

Welcome!

SW-Motech makes some very nice stuff.......excellent choice.

So ----- are you saying the 9er can now float? Swwweeeeeeet!!!! I can see it now.....in the next James Bond film.......

post #13 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Those are the very ones, BlackRig, the SW-Motech Quick-Lock sidecarriers. It's an excellent system, very well designed and sturdily built. Three inconspicuous attach points per side are permanently mounted on the bike, and the mounts, which are bolted to my wooden bags, can be attached or removed in just a few seconds with quarter turn fasteners. I also have an SW-Motech centerstand which I'm very happy with.
Thanks for all the kind comments.
dah dah dit dit dit dit dit dit dah dah!

post #14 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Allons-y!

Garage
I like it. Not really for my stuff, but kinda steampunk. Needs a chimney. That'd be Brill. the first steampunk 919.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #15 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Immune

Impressive woodwork! Welcome aboard the forum!

post #16 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Great looking bags!! Glad to have you! DB

Are we having fun yet?
post #17 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Discen

Welcome, or should we all say hello! Looks like you can haul a serious amount of gear in those boxes

post #18 of 22 Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

wow, pretty impressive. IMHO they would look good in black or red to match the bike

post #19 of 22 Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Milites Gregarius

Hey, that is different and unique.

Welcome to the site from another in Cowtown. Check out twtex.com if you haven't already. We get together on Tues. for dinner and I'm sure others would want to see those bags.

My 919 came with a set of Tourmaster bags and I leike them.

post #20 of 22 Old 12-25-2010, 03:13 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

They look better then the $900 BMW GS bags for sure. It appears you had a Road King bag in your mind?
NICE.

[
post #21 of 22 Old 12-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Tesserarius

Hi Ronnie,
Like you, I am also a boatbuilder, with a '9er, I think you have a good design there, If you splashed a mold off them and produced them in fiberglass or carbon I think you would have a hit!

post #22 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Bacon-powered

Hey Ronnie,

Nice job on those saddle bags. They look great with the lines of the bike. They remind me of one of those vintage mahogany racing boats. Did you line the interiors with anything?

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode