Heated Grip help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 02-26-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Heated Grip help

Hey Gang - Long time.

Putting Dual Star Heat elements on the 9ner today and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to which wire to tap them off of? I found 2 switched lines off the ignition but one is a couple volts higher than the other. Both are switched off when the bike is off, so i won't melt down my grips if i forget the hit the switch, but i am wondering if one of these lines is better than the other.

any help would be appriciated - thanks

JF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Let me know the color code of those two switched 12v wires you found... Also what is the max. wattage of those heaters?

post #3 of 16 Old 02-27-2006, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Mike - The lines I'm looking at are off the 4 connector plug off the Ignition. The Solid Red line is always Hot, so i figure that is the line in. The other two are switch on/off by the ignition. One is Pink with a Brown Dot, and the Othe ris Red with a Black Stripe.

The Total wattage of the Dual Star Grips is 36w.

Thanks.
JF

post #4 of 16 Old 02-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

The pink wire goes to the PGM-FI module, I would not tap into that one. Ohms law tells me that the heaters will draw 3 amps(W/V = A).

The Red/Blk wire is the common side of 4 fuses. You can tap into this wire however I would use a additional inline fuse for your heaters. Check with DualStar to find out what size fuse they recommend.

After you install these heaters please let us know how they work and at what temperature you tested them at.

post #5 of 16 Old 02-27-2006, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

There is another unused spot in the connector. It is switched but does not have a lead coming back off it. Put the meter in there and got a switched signal, but like i said there is only the wire from the Ignition to the connector, no line out of the connector to the bike. Maybe I can slide a terminal into there. It's the Blue with orange stripe wire off the ignition switch??

post #6 of 16 Old 02-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

I'm looking at the wiring diagram, it shows one side of that 4 pin connector pink and it connects to the other side which is Blue/Orange stripe. There is a blank hole whick shows N/C (no connection) It appears to be switched 12v. Looks like you could use it but don't forget to fuse the line.

post #7 of 16 Old 02-28-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Done

Alright - I got it done - doing it naked made it hard to find a spot to out the Switch. I hacked up and olf F4i brake lever and made a bracket. workes well, but slowed me down. I wired it to the Open slot in the 4 point connector off the Ignition. I put a 5a inline fuse on a slip terminal and shoved it into the open hole and it works. The High position feels pretty hot to bare hands in the Garage, we'll see how it feels tonight. I'm planning on riding to our Weekly TWT (two wheel tuesday) hangout. Should be a good test, it's currently 30f and I'm sure it will get colder tonight. With my Widder Vest, Heated Grips and Foggy Breath guard i should be toasty warm, now if i could get the City to stop dumping so much damn salt on the roads!

post #8 of 16 Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Rode to TWT last night - was probably 20ish - Grips worked great! with the vest and the Foggy i had a good time - the Bike makes such great power when its this cold - those oxygen modicules packed tightly together and all.

post #9 of 16 Old 04-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Tirone

Had the same problem of finding a good spot to hide the switch for my dual stars. I fab'd a bracket to conceal a switch by the choke. Just aft of it is the relay that I used to run the power through so that if I forgot to switch off the grips after shutting down the bike, I wouldn't kill the battery. Have had heated grips since this time last year and they definitely help to take the edge off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919 034.jpg (534.9 KB, 60 views)

post #10 of 16 Old 04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Boobies...

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #11 of 16 Old 04-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRM
Had the same problem of finding a good spot to hide the switch for my dual stars. I fab'd a bracket to conceal a switch by the choke. Just aft of it is the relay that I used to run the power through so that if I forgot to switch off the grips after shutting down the bike, I wouldn't kill the battery. Have had heated grips since this time last year and they definitely help to take the edge off!
Nice setup, Michael! That might be one of the cleanest heated grip installs I've seen. The relay was a really good idea.

The nice thing about heated gloves is you don't forget to turn them off

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #12 of 16 Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

To expand on my first comment... That is an awesome job, I should do something like that. How much time and money do you have in that?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #13 of 16 Old 04-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Tirone

The relay was a couple of bucks, as was the wire, a fused link and that rubber all-weather boot that covers the switch. It' took about an hour or so to do it with the tank lifted up, but not removed. The bracket I fab'd from a peice of stainless .32" and then painted gun metal gray. A buddy was helping me do it, so that saved me about an hour I suppose, although he pulled the LH wire a little too much, so it's not as well hidden as the one on the right. I was torn on where to put the switch as well and it took m,e a little bit to decide on the location that i have it. It works perfect though and can be activated pretty easily while riding. Total cost (including dual stars) was probably about $50-$60? The grips help a lot in taking the edge off for about the first 25 minutes, buty then the cold air hitting the outsides of the gloves starts to seep in Heated gloves would work much mo' better LOL

post #14 of 16 Old 04-15-2006, 11:02 AM
roktbox

Heated Grips

Looks like a nice clean install, especially w/ the relay. I initially intended to mount the switch with zip ties and a foam pad at the top of the left fork tube & inboard in order to hide it. It mocked up fine and didn't interfere with the steering lock. Ended up mounting it underneath the left side panel for the airbox where it can be reached, but isn't seen. Wiring runs down the cables and along the harness on the frame under the tank. I also wired in a fuse, but not a relay and must force myself to remember to turn it off. The other side panel hides the wiring for my Widder when it isn't being used.

post #15 of 16 Old 04-17-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Really nice work - i'll have to move my switch sometime this summer to a more conspicuous spot. As for Power, I wired mine to the Open slot in the 4 point connector off the Ignition. It's an open switched circuit that turns off and on with the Ignition. No worries about running down the Battery, and i was able to slide a slip connector into the connector so it still disconnects easily.

post #16 of 16 Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Tirone

Great switch placement roktbox. I didn't think of mounting it to one of the side panels. Big thing for me was I wanted it clean, hidden and reachable while riding. The heated elements have been great, although my grips have taken a beating (heat deformation). I'll probably have to replace them atr some point...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode