The dominators didn't work well the first time I mounted them because I had the aim wrong. But once I tilted them up a bit, they look fine to me. I don't know if it's better than stock with a high-powered bulb, but definitely good enough to see at night and feel safe to ride in. I also run them with significantly brighter bulbs than stock. I just hope it's not tilted so high that I'm blinding oncoming traffic. Might have to leave the bike on and drive by the other direction one of these days to test it.
As for the headlights not working.. checking the starter switch, the blue/white wire solder for the headlights was fine. We ran a meter on it with the bulbs cold, highest reading was 4.9amp for a split second then dropped back down to 3 amps (on high beam). This was before doing the fix on the next paragraph, so we just bridged the connection with the tester. The buddy I had helping me with the testing thought this didn't warrant for a relay.
And after taking the switch completely apart , I found 1 of the two springs on the contact underneath the switch got stuck. I put in a drop of oil in, brushed the copper surface and exercised the spring. Headlights are back on. I'll keep an eye on it and see if that holds up.
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll update if it goes south again.